One Little Question (Which is sure to make me look stupid)

I assume you all won't be too horrified when I tell you I was never a big fan of the Wing Commander games.
WAIT, don't leave yet, just read the rest please :)
It was simply before my time. But, I did play "Privateer" a very long time ago. Recently. I found and installed the old game, and soon found myself puzzled by an old question. When I had first played the game, so long ago, I didn't know what the "ECM Package" was (in the ship upgrade area.) So I bought one, but never figured out what it did or how to use it, so I forgot about it. Now, years later, I am just as puzzled, but much more determined to find the answer. I have searched everywhere. But in all the hundreds of sites I've found, covering every single aspect of every single game in the Wing Commander series, There's not one word about what an ECM package actually DOES. I suppose this means that the answer is something so obvious that it is simply assumed that everyone knows it. So please, set my tortured mind to rest, PLEASE tell me Just what is an ECM package, what does it do? What's it for?

ECM - Electronic Counter-Measures.

Basically it just jams enemy missiles and makes if more likely for them to miss.

Doesn't that suck? One tiny thing which bugs you for years, and when you finally find out what it is, it turns out to be such a simple answer. :)

Oh, and I don't think anyone would disregard a post just because it's from a casual poster. I've seen people sign up and not even make a single post!

Squishy I can sympathize with you .... I spent years playing Armada thinking the ECM pod was supposed to be a mine sort of thing :p Well I mean it did do damage when you run over it ....

And yeah, this is my 3rd or 4th post here ... I'm getting this funny feeling of superiority to wedge's friends ... :D

-pen

Speaking of stuff in Privateer....

In Privateer 2, what was that "Unknown ship". I played the crap outta that game, and I went and blew one up on a mission at one point. I never found out what it was, or if I could get one. It looked an awful lot like a Talon though.

Originally posted by FrostyCOS1
It looked an awful lot like a Talon though.

That was probably because it was a Talon. That was what was special about it. It was a nice little thing for fans of the original game.

TC

Was it possible to fly/buy/capture one? I kinda figured it was a Talon (or some descendent) and I was a little bummed when I only got to geek one and not fly it.

BTW, I can't get priv1 to run on my machine anymore...does anyone know if there's a patch?

no you can't fly it and yes you can get P1 to run. Go start a thread in the Tech Support forum that includes the specs of your computer, your intentions, and any startup files you have for your computer (autoexec.bat, config.sys, dosstart.bat, etc)

TC

A wee bit of hex manipulation will let you fly it.

But it's a ship that doesn't move much.

Or have any guns. :)

A stupid question is one that goes unasked, grasshopper.

LOAF, a naff ship in a WC game that isn't a Hellcat?

Not entirely... it's just that there are no specs coded for the Talongratha, since it doesn't ever do anything in the game. So when you switch to fly it illegally, you... can't do anything <G>

As said before, it's something special for players of the original Privateer.

Originally posted by penspinner
I spent years playing Armada thinking the ECM pod was supposed to be a mine sort of thing...
Is that in Proving Grounds? 'Cause I don't remember and ECM pods in Armada.

It's part of a mission -- you locate and defend the disabled Talongratha... there's no reason for it ever to have stats, though.

Originally posted by Wedge009
As said before, it's something special for players of the original Privateer.

Is that in Proving Grounds? 'Cause I don't remember and ECM pods in Armada.

Maybe he thought of chaff pods.

Sorry for the OT post and sorry if someone has made a comment about this before, but I've been away for a while.
Cool rank Ghost.
Which duke would that be? Paulus, Leto, Paul or Leto II?
Dune = best book ever!

Originally posted by Ghost
Another one....
The 4 had tragic lifes...
Yeah, come to think of it, I don't think being Duke Atreides is good for your health.
Paulus got assinated by means of a psyched up bull.
Leto assasinated by his doctor.
Paul got blind.
Leto II turned into a giant worm.
Are you sure you want that rank? :D

Back