one last time.....

wmaham1701

Spaceman
Ok, I have Privateer 1, the original.

I need to know if there is ANY way possible to run it in the windows dos mode. I'm talking WITHOUT going into a dos boot, true dos, but going thru the windows dos prompt. No rebooting, no special autoexec or config.sys.....just windows.

I cant find a way. Has anyone out there got any ideas or sugestions ot has done it? I appreciate any help i can get.

WJM

No, at present, it's completely impossible to run without rebooting -- Privateer's JEMM memory manager refuses to run under Win9x...

is there not a way to edit or emulat that so that it does run?

oh yeah, how do you dual boot form windows 98 SE to dos, either with dos on the same hd or another hd? I cant find any info worth crap that is helpful.........anyone out there know?

I say nothing is impossible.

and i ask again........how do you dual boot form windows 98 SE to dos, either with dos on the same hd or another hd? I cant find any info worth crap that is helpful.........anyone out there know?

Believe it or not, Win98 IS DOS, just a DOS with a GUI. To get to use the pure DOS, you only have to prevent the GUI from loading. There are many ways to do it. You could hit F8 on boot time and select "Command line only", or you could make a boot disk, or you could make a "DOS Mode" shortcut. You can even edit your MSDOS.SYS (witch is now only a text file) and make it so that the GUI doesn't start automaticly at boot-time but rather be launched manually (by typing 'win')...

It's a SB Live. I have dos drivers for it and It worked fine the last time I played.

Here's the rest:

AMD K6-2 500
128 PC100
Voodoo 3 3000
10.2 GB Western Digital HDD
Toshiba DVD-ROM(56x speed)
USB Joystick-Interact Raider Pro Digital SV-251

SBLive is not a problem. But I still need you to post these files.
c:\autoexec.bat, c:\config.sys and c:\windows\DOSSTART.BAT

Oh, that USB Joystick most likely won't work. USB devices usually don't have DOS drivers. But you can get a cheap joystick for around $12.00. P1 only uses two button.

Back