Once A Test Pilot... (July 29, 2005)

Secret Ops

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the trailer for this was, "Didn't Confed work on a project like that?" :) I believe the reference is from one of the less successful paths of the Secret Ops fiction, where the captain is grousing about what terrible pilots you are. But my memory at this point is a bit hazy... I think combat UAVs (UCAVs) are still the future, but there's always been an open question as to how you address the moral problem. It's unlikely we'll have killer AIs sophisticated enough to cause any real havoc, though. :)

GeeBot said:
I think combat UAVs (UCAVs) are still the future, but there's always been an open question as to how you address the moral problem. It's unlikely we'll have killer AIs sophisticated enough to cause any real havoc, though. :)

Sci-fi has long been obsessed with the idea of artificial inteligence run amok. 2001 was about a computer that felt it knew best how to guarantee the safety of the mission objectives... and that meant eliminating what it couldnt control, namely the humans. It seems that it is a running fear that mankind's technology will get ahead of him. That's the kindof the idea in the Matrix trilogy. and if I remember correctly the Hive in the Resident Evil movie and that computer thing in the I' Robot movie. It's actually surprising how often it does crop up in Sci-fi stories.

Back