On what basis does WC 'jumping' work?

In the novels many times people talk about jumping as taking no "real" time, but it feels like it takes forever....

The jumps in WC4 are instantaneous. The lightshow we see is when they are still entering the jump point, then immediatly exiting.

Lemme think

I think one reason the in Dune the foldspace could take days was because they made more than one jump. It wasn't just straight to Kaitan. First they may stop in another point in space, then another, then Kaitan.

I really liked the missions in Privateer when you signed on with the Exploratory Service and chartered those unknown jump points. It might have made a good story in Wing Commander if you jumped through a point but then when you jumped back it wasn't your original destination. Sort of like that Star Trek episode where they were going to bid on that wormhole but it ended up being an unstable one that went to different locations on and off. Ooh, but let's say in Wing Commander a huge carrier went through the unstable jump point and got stuck so they had to settle on a planet and make babies and years later Confed discovers their descendants and they have narley powers. Now that sounds like a Star Trek episode.

I remember in Ender's Game the way they communicated across space through those (I sort of forgot the name of it) ansibles? Did they say they could also travel across the ansibles? I can't remember if the Buggers were ever capable of it. I don't think they were though.

In Harry Potter, they had a pretty good way of travelling to some other fireplace instantaneously. But that was obviously prone to plot revealing accidents, no?

Shipgate said:
I remember in Ender's Game the way they communicated across space through those (I sort of forgot the name of it) ansibles?

Yes

Did they say they could also travel across the ansibles?

No, but Jane the crazy computer person could make people do it in the Speaker for the Dead series.

I can't remember if the Buggers were ever capable of it. I don't think they were though.

Yes, they used the same basic principles to communicate, but it was via a telepathy-like thing, rather than ansibles. That's how the humans realised it was possible to communicate faster than light.

Delance said:
On WC1, WC2, WC3 and the WC Movie, the jump *seems* to be immediate.

Not entirely true. WC1 also talks about a Jump Space:

"Halcyon: We’ve got a lot of work to do, people, so let’s get to it. The Tiger’s Claw dropped from jump-space seven hours ago, at 08:00."

The jumps in WC4 are instantaneous. The lightshow we see is when they are still entering the jump point, then immediatly exiting.

I believe there's a scene on the Intrepid's CIC where the viewscreen is showing an external view of the ship inside a jump tunnel.

I don't think there's necessarily any time spent in Privateer, though - the third person 'energy jump' scene isn't really a good indicator of what Brownhair is experiencing (and it's strikingly similar to the jump sequence later used on Metal Morph;)).

Bandit LOAF said:
I believe there's a scene on the Intrepid's CIC where the viewscreen is showing an external view of the ship inside a jump tunnel.

I don't think there's necessarily any time spent in Privateer, though - the third person 'energy jump' scene isn't really a good indicator of what Brownhair is experiencing (and it's strikingly similar to the jump sequence later used on Metal Morph;)).

I remember that scene...isn't it when they jump into destroy the jammer?

I really liked the priv jump sequence, always left you on the edge of your seat if you were being chased

Hey in WC2, couldn't you just look at the mission clock in the Navigation screen before you jumped, and then check it after? That would tell you how long you were in jumpspace right? (WARNING: CANNON HOLE DETECTED!!!)

Anyway, I think The Kearny-Fushida is the closest to Wing Commander jumping. It was only limited to 30 light years because of fuel limitations, right? If the confed had more advanced power generation capabilities, they would be able to jump longer with more recharge time.

I also think Kearny-Fushida physics are the closest. What with it being a gravitational anomaly and all. Perhaps a jump point is just a low grav anomaly and not really a wormhole at all. That would explain the Enigma Mega-Jump situation, due to the enormous gravity projected by the blackhole. It would have a slingshot effect. If jumpholes were some kinda Hyper-Dimensional anomaly, than a blackhole would have no effect upon them, due to the fact they exist in normal space, and the gravitation effects wouldn't leak into hyperspace.

Another reason I beleive that they are gravitational in matter is that in WC2 and 3, you do not see the anomaly itself, it mearly exists as a nav point. Sure in Privateer you could see them, but that was probably just for ease of navigation within the game.

johnhawke said:
If the confed had more advanced power generation capabilities, they would be able to jump longer with more recharge time.
Are you talking about Wing Commander's ConFed? If you are, then power generation isn't a factor when actually traversing jump points.. One point goes to one point, not one point goes to any of the points in the radius.

johnhawke said:
Another reason I beleive that they are gravitational in matter...
Did you read the FAQ? It's a stated fact the jump points are created by subspace folds.

ChanceKell said:
Did you read the FAQ? It's a stated fact the jump points are created by subspace folds.

No I didn't read the FAQ. I guess if that's how it says it works, then its canon. It just dosen't make much sense. What effect would a blackhole have on a subspace anomaly which exists out of normal space? (eg. Enigma MegaJump.)

johnhawke said:
Hey in WC2, couldn't you just look at the mission clock in the Navigation screen before you jumped, and then check it after? That would tell you how long you were in jumpspace right? (WARNING: CANNON HOLE DETECTED!!!)

Maybe they stop the clock during jump for some reason. Maybe the clock doesn't even work on jumpspace. Perhaps it's an immediate jump.

Bandit LOAF said:
It may be available online as soon as next week.

Remind me that I said that six days or os from now.

You said to remind you in six days - it's been 8.

REMINDING LOAF...................

Delance said:
Maybe they stop the clock during jump for some reason. Maybe the clock doesn't even work on jumpspace. Perhaps it's an immediate jump.

As far as I can tell, jumps are virtually instant in terms of shipboard time (excepting for the WCA cartoon). However, since jump lines are basically a form of wormhole, this does not necessarily mean that they are instantaneous with respect to the outside universe. In other words, you might find yourself minutes or hours in the past/future since the two ends of the wormhole are not "simultaneous". Indeed, given what we currently know about wormholes and relativity, it is quite UN-likely that a wormhole would stretch across space but NOT across time. Thus, the statement of "The Tiger’s Claw dropped from jump-space seven hours ago, at 08:00" would be a reference to local time, not shipboard elapsed time (much like in air travel you have to adjust for the local time).

Ijuin said:
However, since jump lines are basically a form of wormhole, this does not necessarily mean that they are instantaneous with respect to the outside universe.

Kinda like the baby born on earth and the baby born on a spaceship at the speed of light scenario, huh? On gets older In relative time, however they're both the same age.

Delance said:

You'd think the navi-comp would adjust for that, wouldn't you? Would kinda screw you up when you land, wouldn't it? :confused:

Perhaps it's set not to count the jumpspace time by design. Maybe it doesn't count by mission time because the pilot isn't doing much. Perhaps because it's outside the normal time and space.

still sounds like bad design to me. Once again, I think the computer would compensate for that. You mean they have to reset the clock after every mission that involves a jump?

johnhawke said:
still sounds like bad design to me. Once again, I think the computer would compensate for that. You mean they have to reset the clock after every mission that involves a jump?

As far as we can tell, jumps take very little time in fact - and the closer you are to the jump point when you jump, the less energy it takes for the process to happen. However, you still have to get to the jump point physically before the jump can be initiated; that's the part that takes the most time. Jump points are also, for the most part, inconveniently placed in star systems, from what we've seen - notice that, in Fleet Action, the nearest planet to the jump line to Enigma in the Sol system was Mars - Jupiter was on the other side of the system relative to that jump point at the time, and we're not sure if that point was roughly on the same plane as the other planets in the system or if it's at an angle to it like Pluto is.

Therefore, the time lost ot the jump effect is rather miniscule compared to all other transit times involved with space travel. I would suggest that it's something that could be automatically compensated for by the computers or with the help of local in-system time broadcast satellites.

Maybe they don't want to pay overtime to the pilot for just sitting there and playing poker on jumpspace.

In the novels Bondarevsky talks about jumping and its effects many times. He says it is instanteous but your body tells you that it takes longer, which can explain how whenever we see a jump it seems to take a bit of time but in reality (if I can say that) it takes no time at all. He gets a little in depth about in FC when they are jumping into Vaka, most of it is on how Sparks seems to be immune to jumpshock

Back