On what basis does WC 'jumping' work?

Interestingly, the article in the bible (from 1994? Johnny gave it to me, so he'd know...) is the same as the article in the Confed Handbook - with some modifications (the Handbook one is slightly toned down, a little less technical and has some minor movie references added). I'd be interested to know who wrote it originally.

Regarding the Star Trek Warp 5 limit, the Soverign class (to which the Enterprise-E belongs) is supposed to be the first class of starship using a new design of warp drive that does less "damage" to subspace than traditional warp drives. So, yes, they have been able to solve the problem.

As for Jump Points, the way I see it is that the wormholes are some sort of by-product of stellar formation. Basically, any time a huge gravitational source such as a star comes into being, the relativistic bending of space around it creates a number of wormholes whose other ends attatch to the strongest nearby sources of gravitational attraction (i.e. stars that are either nearby or that are farther away but super-massive). The maximum length of the wormhole then is a function of the product of the masses anchoring it on both ends, which explains why the Enigma black hole could allow somebody to cross the sector in two jumps (one jump to get to the Enigma system from anywhere in the sector, and then one more jump to get to any OTHER system in the sector).

An interesting case exists in that of Firekka, where there are many jump lines that lead back into the system. One could surmise that Firekka was formed in a dense star cluster, and then drifted away from it. The result would be that many jump lines "snapped" from being pulled beyond the distance limit imposed by the masses of their anchor stars. These "free" jump lines then sought new attatchment points, and those which could not find new stars to link to ended up linking to each other instead.

Ijuin said:
Regarding the Star Trek Warp 5 limit, the Soverign class (to which the Enterprise-E belongs) is supposed to be the first class of starship using a new design of warp drive that does less "damage" to subspace than traditional warp drives. So, yes, they have been able to solve the problem.

Actually, Voyager's moving nacelles were supposed to be the first design to try and reduce damage, through modifying the geometry of the warp field, IIRC. It was always the higher warp factors that caused most of the damage, though the lower warp factors did stress the subspace barrier some.

Ijuin said:
As for Jump Points, the way I see it is that the wormholes are some sort of by-product of stellar formation. Basically, any time a huge gravitational source such as a star comes into being, the relativistic bending of space around it creates a number of wormholes whose other ends attatch to the strongest nearby sources of gravitational attraction (i.e. stars that are either nearby or that are farther away but super-massive). The maximum length of the wormhole then is a function of the product of the masses anchoring it on both ends, which explains why the Enigma black hole could allow somebody to cross the sector in two jumps (one jump to get to the Enigma system from anywhere in the sector, and then one more jump to get to any OTHER system in the sector).

An interesting case exists in that of Firekka, where there are many jump lines that lead back into the system. One could surmise that Firekka was formed in a dense star cluster, and then drifted away from it. The result would be that many jump lines "snapped" from being pulled beyond the distance limit imposed by the masses of their anchor stars. These "free" jump lines then sought new attatchment points, and those which could not find new stars to link to ended up linking to each other instead.

All we know for certain is that it has to do with gravity, re: wormholes, and that gravitic anomalies like the Enigma black hole do result in the ability to jump across whole sectors of space due to the bending it allows for.

I'd just like to get my hands on a copy of the WC bible, myself. :D

It may be available online as soon as next week.

Remind me that I said that six days or os from now.

The Confed guide does have a pretty descriptive explanation, though I try to forget the Hopper Drive. The Jump Drive's disadvantage of course it only travels to relatively stationary locations.

Warp Speed may seem fast but it would take a long time to travel across just the UFP, which is 10,000 light years across. Unless you can make Warp 10 without mutating, then you are in every place in the universe at the same time. Benefit, you can set a course where you will as long as you don't fly through an object. ST also has Quantum Slipstream drive, Warp Corridors, and other kinds of propulsion.

Then there is Dune, which in truth might be faster than any, you fold space to wherever you want to go. Efficient, no, since it only comes from one place and somebody always controlls it. Like in the theatrical movie with a guy who has waaaaaay to much internal dialogue.

WC seems the most real though.

The Hopper Drive is a reasonable 'plot device' - since you have several situations where ships travel faster than light without jumping anywhere. :)

I don't even think they ever use it in the movie, or the game. THey just say it was used by "Slo Ships", to colonize before jump drives were created. IT was a way that Earth got around the treaty they made with the Pilgrams. Operates using the same technology I just think it creates one graviton sinkhole and "skips" across it, aside from jumping from one sinkhole (jump points) to the next.
Don't you just love it when people "create" technology to explain something that didn't have anything to do with it in the first place lol.

The Priv2 hyperspace is called a "d-drive", and it works quite a bit differently from the hopper.

jeez don't take me that seriously *g* I was merely referring to the term and the feeling of hopping around meaning that it kinda annoyed me *g* I know it was no hopper drive.

Eep!

I would disagree that Dune's method of space travel is inefficient. You said so because it only comes from one place and must be controlled. Are you referring then to the Spacing Guild? Yes they did control it for a long time but then their monopoly on space travel was broken after they invented computers that could compute the courses without navigators. And yes it must be controlled I guess, but all systems we create and use in daily life need to be maintained and controlled. There may be jump points but without the jump drive they are useless, supposedly.

And besides, I like all the inner dialogue in the Dune movie. I thought it was different for a change. It gave the movie a more personal feel. Though Paul never did make it rain on Dune at the end. He was powerful, but not that powerful.

Spice becomes controlled by one man for a time, Paul. That is not very efficient, that is like buying all your gas from one company and they can choose the price. Jump Drives aren't powered by a single substance that only comes from one place and is controlled by one man.
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe."
The Sci-Fi channels Dune, while not great set wise was a very good movie, and in the sequal Children of Dune you feel very said for Paul at the end. Plus his sister goes mad lol.

Right...

Yes I know spice is controlled by one person. But that forced people to find different methods. Just like how they came up with the computers that could navigate foldspace. And today you have OPEC which is like CHOAM, and those people have a monopoly on oil and whatnot, but that's why people are trying to innovate new things so we don't have to rely on oil forever. Efficient as far as options, you're right, it's not. But efficient in the way it works and how fast it is, I think it's superior. Not to mention those highliners could carry tons of ships in them.

What about MechWarrior's version of jumping? it was kinda like Halo's jumping. using a jumpship to tear a hole in space to propel the ship from planet to planet. the only downside of it was that after each jump the ship would have to spend hours-days maybe even weeks to recharge it's jump batteries.

TurboTim07 said:
What about MechWarrior's version of jumping? it was kinda like Halo's jumping. using a jumpship to tear a hole in space to propel the ship from planet to planet. the only downside of it was that after each jump the ship would have to spend hours-days maybe even weeks to recharge it's jump batteries.

The Kearney-Fuchida hyperspace drives (KF) required that a ship be at a point free of gravitic forces in order to 'jump' properly - in that sense it's more akin to the Akwende jump drives than anything - it's limited in where you can use it, and it jumps you to a similar (gravity free) point in space in another system. It's also limited in range - 20 light years maximum per jump. The HALO Shaw-Fujikawa (Slipstream) drives are closer to the classic Star Trek warp drives, or even more akin to the Star Wars hyperdrive in that they are capable of entering hyperspace/subspace from almost anywhere, but do need to be outside a gravity well for this to work best.

And it only took a week or so for the solar sails to finish charging the drive's batteries to capacity, and a bit more if you had to charge the batteries that allowed you to do a second jump. You could recharge the batteries or the drive from the main fusion reactors on a Jumpship, but you risked damaging or destroying the KF-drives due to the power imbalances.

Dune's method of jumping required the use of Guild Navigators mostly because a ship that folded between points in space would be vulnerable to damage if said Navigator or Ixian computer did not plot a damage-free course first. That meant either you used human prescience, or later employed one of the forbidden computers which were not in use before the Scattering because of the aftermath of the Butlerian Jihad. It's efficient to use Holtzmann fields in that matter, a third-dimensional form IIRC, but it still risked some damage, and wasn't instantaneous in the books - you could spend a few days or weeks travelling across the Imperium.

On WC1, WC2, WC3 and the WC Movie, the jump *seems* to be immediate. On WC4 (partially), Privateer, and specially WCA Cartoon, there's a time on "hyperspace" or "jumpspace". We can assume that, while the ship spends some time on hyperspace, the game may simply present it as immediate, as in WC4. (You see hyperspace briefly on WC4 when Blair jumps on the Dragon, or the Intrepid jumps to go after the Vesuvius, however, on other cutscenes, the Intrepid and the Lexigton make "immediate" jumps).

Back