Oldest Carrier

Vagabond didn't have the experience that Blair, Maniac, and Hobbes have. So he is not counted with the other veterans.

Balrog said:
Vagabond didn't have the experience that Blair, Maniac, and Hobbes have. So he is not counted with the other veterans.

That's right. Even though Vagabond is 38 and has Been-There-Done-That experience in Special Operations, covert intelligence, and demolitions *before* he became a pilot and went to flight school (and probaly got his officer commission as well), let's not count him because he's a lowly Lieutenant.

All that I meant was whereas maniac, blair, and hobbes all flew since the hornet and scim days, vagabond was around in WC3, unless I'm missing something.

Actually, I'm kinda curious how Ralgha went from defected commander of a Fralthi to a fighter pilot . . . Sure, it's all war related, but still . . . kind of a stretch, isn't it?

No. Confed would never do such a thing because giving a cruiser to a defector seems quite...stupid for me.

Lynx said:
No. Confed would never do such a thing because giving a cruiser to a defector seems quite...stupid for me.

To me, giving a fighter to a defector doesn't seem clever either. But they've done it, haven't they?

They never should have allowed that furball near the frontlines.

I mean, think about it. You are in WW2. You are the head of British Ministary of Defense. They bring you a defected Nazi pilot with high rank. Would you put him into a Spitfire? Don't think so.

In regards to Ralgha being a pilot . . . it seems that the Kilrathi capship commanders were all once pilots, something I think the US military does with its carrier commanders (I saw someone mention that once here, if somebody would confirm or deny that, I'd appreciate it). In WCATV, Gharal nar Hhallas was a pilot before he became commander of the Ras Nik'hra. The former captain of the Ras Nik'hra was then demoted to a pilot to go 'redeem his honor'. Plus, the commander of the carrier the stealth fighter flew from in "Invisible Enemy" accompanied the attack on the Tiger's Claw in a fighter.
Also, his maybe a special case like Tolwyn or Blair. Rhalga may be a pilot who transferred into the fleet then either went on to command or attain a rank that would allow him to command.

C-ya

Don't forget that Paladin was involved in these events, too. We know that they worked together in the Ghorah Khar rebellion. Presumably, Hobbes' involvement in such spec ops removed any remaining doubts about his loyalties. And as for getting to fly in a regular fighter wing later on, I guess it helped that Angel was in command and that Downtown was one of the pilots in the wing, as well.

Viper61 said:
In regards to Ralgha being a pilot . . . it seems that the Kilrathi capship commanders were all once pilots, something I think the US military does with its carrier commanders (I saw someone mention that once here, if somebody would confirm or deny that, I'd appreciate it).

Under US law, captains of aircraft carriers have to have been carrier pilots. This was enacted back in the early 1930s (IIRC) to keep the then-new carriers from being marginalized by "battleship admirals" (admirals whose training/experience was mostly or entirely in the "biggest battleship wins" school of thought), who weren't exatly keen on carriers (this being way before the lessons of WW2).

The fleet exercise mentioned in Action Stations, where the carrier force was ruled to have lost because TCN's battleship admirals thought of fighters as only scouts, and not "real" weapons, is loosely based on pre-WW2 USN history.

Viper61 said:
In regards to Ralgha being a pilot . . . it seems that the Kilrathi capship commanders were all once pilots, something I think the US military does with its carrier commanders (I saw someone mention that once here, if somebody would confirm or deny that, I'd appreciate it).

C-ya

I mentioned it earlier. :)

In the mindset of WC1-era Confed characters, they know he's loyal because they performed a "trank chem" interrogation. Not that anyone has half a clue what that means, but it's enough to convince Colonel Halcyon. :)

Sylvester said:
trank chem prpbably mens tranqualizer cheical

All 'Freedom Flight' mentions is that it probably involved both euphorics and painkillers, in order to get him more willing to talk. A mild sedative might not be out of the question, however, in order to lower voilition.

Back