Older games

Tachy15

Spaceman
Since I doubt I can play the original WC2/Privater/P2 (I have WCKS WC1 hehe) on my 1GHz, what system spec would I need to cater to all 3 of these games fairly good? I missed out on these and would like to get a chance to play them. I am prepared to find or buy a older machine. I may be able to get a 486 with a busted HDD sometime soon if that would be good. I would appreciate all help!

=====
Tachyon15
http://www.wczone.net

Actually you should be able to get all three working on your computer much more easily than you could build another computer, but a 486/75 to perhaps a Pentium 100-133 would probably do real well.

I have 2 or 3 486/75 CPU's or even a P300 CPU. Just ask and they're yours.
All I ask in return is a little help repairing my Privateer 2. Most of the game is ok but a few of the movies are unwatchable. I just need a couple of the files from the CD's so I can replace the damaged files. I own the game and alll the stuff that came with it. I'm not asking for someone to assit in making an illeigal copy (at least I don't believe it would be illiegal). A few years ago when I was living at home my sister took a nail to them... If you help I also have a CD ROM aswell.

(if what I'm asking is wrong just tell me and I'll obstain)

[Edited by LOA--Deadman on 02-01-2001 at 19:24]

Ok

I'll be getting a free 486 computer soon (it needs a new HDD, any suggestions on that. Person who has it says HDD crashed, so it may just need a reformatting, because they don't know much 'bout computers) so I'll try to play WC2/P/P2 on it.

As for the P2 problem, I can't really help you there, unless you want me to send you the stuff on the CD, but you need to have cable, as I have heard it's pretty big.

I think I have an 85 meg HD laying around

As for Priv 2: I don't need the entire game. Only some of the files are damaged, they're listed them below. It's about 157 meg or about 146 meg zipped.

CD #1

17_S.TGV (16 meg)
18_S.TGV (4 meg)

CD #2

30_S.TGV (28 meg)
31_S.TGV (22 meg)

CD #3

43_S.TGV (66 meg)
67_S.TGV (14 meg)
89_S.TGV (5 meg)

play wc1 on a 486/75? are you crazy? i played it on a 386/25. anyone have any ideas how to slow my computer down, or direct me to a thread that can tell me?

Ready to buy

I have WC2 Deluxe and Privateer in my shopping cart. Since I will only have $10 left after this I am going to buy P2 later, and look around for RF. I am pretty sure to getting a 486 type system soon, but I don't know much anything else about it. Is P2 good at all? I heard it wasn't as good as original Privateer.

[Edited by Tachy15 on 02-02-2001 at 15:10]

Priv 2 opinions and facts

Well, Privateer 2 IS a very enjoyable game, but if you're expecting it to be anything like the first privateer, you're sorely mistaken. The reason for this is that Privateer 2 wasn't originally going to be title Privateer at all. It was a game simply called "The Darkening--An Erin Roberts game." Origin figured since people were clamoring for a new Wing Commander game, AND a new Privateer game, AND the darkening was so close in gameplay to them, they just changed the name to Privateer 2: The Darkening.

It's based in a completely different universe than Wing Commander, and has very different physics and backstory. Everybody's english, jump drives replace autopilot, etc.

I love the game to death, but it will never match up to the playabillity Privateer had.

Actually it spent a lot of time in development as a WC game, and ER originally went to England wanting to make another WC Priv game. P2 does take place in the same universe as WC, just in the future. 2790 or so.

Bah

Just found out I am not getting that 486 because the person gave it to Goodwill. Wth? Anyway, guess I'll shop around for a old 486 or something. Any suggestions?

Wondering if I should buy WC2/P now or wait till I get a old computer.

Bah! When will people ever learn that charity is evil. EAVIL!!! Especially when you have a frind that needs it.
Tell you what dude. I'll give you a 486 motherboard and the CPU. No charge, no trading just to be nice. Just email me your address or post it and I'll send it out on Monday. I'd send you a 15" monitor too but it's like $30 for shipping one of those things. Got some sims too but those will cost ya the files that I listed below.

Why would I give stuff away you ask? Well I got layed off last week from my job and I got a call ealier saying that I got my job back. Sweet huh? Some guy had an "accident" on his way home from work. Forgot to check if his brakes were cut before driving home from work.

Well

I'll probably not be getting P2 for a while, so I can't help you ATM, but I can look at it later. As for your offer, that's ok, I don't have everything else you need to build a comp so I'll just go find a cheap 486. That is what I was originally planning :)

Deadman: I'll send you those files in a couple of days, once I get back to my dorm room and the really fast internet connection I have there. Thing is, I can't do direct connections from there (due to really paranoid web guys), but if you can think of a place where I can upload files of that size, then no problem. Or I could just use MasterSplitter or something else along those lines to cut the files into tinier pieces.

I can play Wing Commander 2 and Academy perfectly on my Athlon 700...don't have a functional copy of WC1 anymore.
Moslo will save you in any case.
Of course, I mostly play Wing Commander in XWA (see Editing forum).

Ah

Hope you're right because Cdaccess just confirmed shipment of the last WC2 Deluxe and the 40th copy of Privateer :)

It'd be great if someone would make a website where we could get old WC games you can't find anymore... Hardly seems like Origin would care. Server space is probably the only hurdle.

can anyone tell me if i can make privateer work in my windows os? and pls no tech-talk, i need to pay someone to figure how to insert a cdrom, well im not quite that bad.

Back