Old Priv2 Issues

JeffTX

Spaceman
Hi all - and by the way, I really am an "old" user in the forum (initially 1998 or so...), I just interact so rarely that I end up re-registering every few years (lost passwords in conjuction with new email addys, senility, space monkeys, whatever, etc).

Anyway... I have Privateer 2 installed on a "legacy" system (P166, SVGA chip, 8 bit Soundblaster Pro, 192 MB RAM, etc.) - really the best way to run it, although I am running it under WIN98SE using a customized PIF; no tech problems, runs great.

These problems are of the "inherent bugs" variety. They are relatively minor, so if I can't get them fixed then (shrug).

(1) According to the Prima Strategy Guide for Privateer 2 : The Darkening, and the occasional walkthru found on the web, a "Kindred" entry is supposed to appear in the booth / public database in conjunction with the Hugo Carmichael situation.

I remember from playing the game circa 1996/1997 that a Kindred entry does in fact occur when the game is in a PRE-PATCH state, but it was somewhat buggy, and there was some strange procedure for forcing it. It was like " ... to get the Kindred entry, look up Shernikov Medical first before you look up Blessed Aquawine, THEN look up Larn Regis, but this doesn't work if you have already looked up Larn Regis just after Dr Loomis emails you ... " - that isn't exactly right, but it was something similar and it didn't always work.

When the game is POST-PATCH (17.0E Buffalo Wings) the Kindred entry seems to be disabled entirely and you can't get it no matter what you do. But ... and this is driving me nutz ... it seems that a few years ago I DID get a Kindred entry under patch 17.0E ONCE, I just don't remember how I did it.

Can anyone shed light on this? A fix for it? Can I maybe hack a flag or setting in my savegame with a hex editor to force it (say, after the main plot is completed?)

(2) The Louissa Phillips situation. There is supposed to be a "second" part to the situation whereby she emails love letters, shows up during your next 3 missions, and if you keep her alive during your "next three missions" her father emails you, apologizes for her behavior and emails a reward (10000 Cr I believe). This does occasionally occur (post patch) but sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. The "second part" of the situation SEEMS buggy. But I have a feeling that there is some hidden, specific disabling factor, such as "your net worth is over X credits, so the second part will not occur". It DOES seem to occur more often if you attempt to carry the main plot straight thru in your initial Straith, without pausing to make gobs of money to buy a Freij Mk II / Danrik. Any info on this?

- Thanks - Jeff

Back