Old or New School?

You shouldn't even be talking about how WC 1,2 where more difficult than WC3, 4 and P unless you have finished them on the highest difficulty level.

Really though, there should be no need for difficulty levels if the game itself provides enough substance and difficulty anyway. The fun part of the older games, is even with all the practise I am still unable to complete some of the harder missions even when I can't make it easier or harder.

Wow, the good old days when my 286 was new and I was looking forward to coming home from school to take a pop at those outrageous dralthi pancakes. Sad as it is the old stuff used to be my favourite thing on a friday night before I discovered parties, the new stuff never had that effect.

I think your hardware was more of a difficulty than the game itself. I've finished WC1,2 with no problems on a emulator.

Ofcourse there should be a need for difficulty levels. I mean new players should have a chance to become fimiliar with the game. Veteran WC players should only play at the highest difficulty level. Don't talk about the games being to easy if all you did was play on the low or mediocore difficulties. I swear that if you play at the very highest difficulty you wont be winning every mission and the game will become a lot more realistic and intense if you aren't goldfishing the entire game.

WCP has one major difference on high difficulty settings that I have a hard time with.

Missiles. Missiles and Morays. Morays suddenly become missile-happy idiots that give me a hard time. I think I counted six missiles after me at once during the "Save the Panthers" mission. That kinda sucked.

A complaint I had often heard about difficulty levels is that people just set it at easy or turn on invulnerability and breeze through the game in a few days. Kills the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment. Invulnerability is especially bad. It does nothing to break in rookies but teach them poor tactics. I was a victim of the WCIII invulnerability "syndrome," and when I decided to play it fair, my combat skills were lacking and I flew carelessly. And there's no real need for difficulty levels. Just make the game progressively harder. If you're new and need training, use the simulator. If the Terran Academy was real I bet you the simulator there wouldn't have an invulnerability option. WC Academy didn't have an invulnerability setting, though it did have a difficulty setting for obvious reasons.

Indubidoubly.

climber said:
It occurs to me that as the WC universe got more realistic it sort of lost its charm as far as I was concerned. I was hoping that it had the same effect on everyone. Come to think of it all computer games lost their charm when they got too realistic. Instead of being a way of escaping the real world they became a viable alternative to having a life.

Is this so or am i just getting old

Just how do you mean realistic? Are you referring just to the graphics? Then yeah I would agree. I do sort of feel at a loss when I think about the way games look today compared to the older ones. And with the exception of the latter WC games, most other games that come out now are all about spectacular graphics over any decent plot and voice acting. And man, there seems to be light tracers on all attacks.

I agree. I have not bought a PC game since Prophecy. I would rather play the older stuff I have, enjy privateer and replay WC 1 all the time. Strangely when I used to think it would be cool to be doing all that flying about, as I am sure all wc fans did at some point, it was always WC 1 universes and ships and stuff.

I think a return to the way things were would be great

Let's be fair, I'm sure there are enough new games that are really good as well. From the the top pf my head, the last game I bought and was completely satisfied with was Emperor:Battle for Dune. Of course, that's some time now but still it's "new stuff".
I think the "problem" is that there are so many games now that there are very few that stand out from the great mass.

I think that the general degradation in PC game quality has to do with the huge corporate boom in the field in the mid-90s. With so many huge companies requiring certain amounts of revenue, their (i.e, "the company's," the CEO's) focus turns from making awesome, enjoyable games to making games that are good enough to sell many many copies that will keep the company in business. Hopefully, the programmers that work for the companies care enough about what they're doing to make their games fun as well as marketable--games like the Warcraft series, Max Payne, and IL-2 prove that gaming isn't as ruled by big-business as the music industry currently is (not to sound like an over-liberalized anarchist, but that's the way it is).

So my vote's to Old School. ;)

Burdette said:
A complaint I had often heard about difficulty levels is that <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=56">people</a> just set it at easy or turn on invulnerability and breeze through the game in a few days. Kills the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment. Invulnerability is especially bad. It does nothing to break in rookies but teach them poor tactics. I was a victim of the WCIII invulnerability "syndrome," and when I decided to play it fair, my combat skills were lacking and I flew carelessly. And there's no real need for difficulty levels. Just make the game progressively harder. If you're new and need <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=training&v=56">training</a>, use the simulator. If the Terran Academy was real I <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=bet&v=56">bet</a> you the simulator there wouldn't have an invulnerability option. WC Academy didn't have an invulnerability setting, though it did have a difficulty setting for obvious reasons.

it is easy to do that, its better to not do it, but one of the resone i think people do it is beacouse it is no multiplayer therefore it dosent matter that they have bad tactics.

I agree with you there. My old friend, who sadly no longer posts here, taught me a serious lesson in flying when he always used to kick my but in Armada back in the day. Now as far as fleet operations went, he wasn't to good...

Back