Old Excaliburs, New Tricks

Her loss was a tragedy however, they were fighting a war where they needed ships that could fight and survive. If the Concordia had been in another big fleet engagement she wouldn't of lasted long. I mean she didn't last to long in the backwater either....

Right, because she wasnt sufficiently repaired from the Battle of Earth. I read up on that and it was one hell of a fight, the Concordia held out longer then most would have been able to... then they just left her for backwater, had they repaired her, she could have fought w/ the best of them

She would not have been ready until the war was over. The lunar shipyards were destroyed and with the other yards trying to crank out new ships they would be hard pressed to try and refit a carrier that was ready to go out to pasture.

IIRC I don't think its ever mentioned if the Concordia ever really gets a good refit. In ER Bear comments on how he notices a few more burn marks in her paint and how she looks like a bashed up boxer.

After ER they wanted to scrap the Tarawa because of the extensive damage that had happened to her. Concordia took considerably more torp hits during the events of FA.

As much of an attatchment we all had to that ship she was truly beyond hope...sad but true

Lynx said:
look at the service dates of most of the confederation fighters - most types were in service for decades

Where can I find those?

And LOAF, why do you call the Dragon a Lance? :confused:

Everything I've seen calls it a Dragon. Where is it otherwise?

No, you're not. You're a kind, gentleman-like scholar. And I don't care what all those other dweebs think about you. :D

Although we offcially don't know about the Dragons, most people here agree that it was far too expensive to be mass produced. It was a black ops super fighter, and Confed had such a big PR job to do after the Black Lance operations that they probably wanted to avoid most kinds of questionable stuff. If you put the two things together, plus the fact that they had no major enemy states for the next decade, there was really no reason to sink so much money in them

Of course, this is all just our general opinion. Canon has nothing about that.

Ripper said:
Everything I've seen calls it a Dragon. Where is it otherwise?

No, you're not. You're a kind, gentleman-like scholar. And I don't care what all those other dweebs think about you. :D

Yeah come on LOAF, your not fooling anyone, we all know your a softy at heart. As for the Black Lance, was the Vesuvious class counted as a black lance ship? or just normal navy?

The idea that the 'name' of the fighter is Lance comes from the TPoF novel, which claims that "Dragon" is a callsign which is often used by Seether's group. Think of how the A-10 Thunderbolt II is generally called the 'Warthog'.

This is cool for a number of reasons, including:

* It fits with the 'sword' name scheme of so many other Confed fighters, including its direct prototype, the Excalibur.

* 'Black Lance' would be the covert ops variant - much like the Black Wasp, Black Panther, etc.

F4U Corsair said:
Yeah come on LOAF, your not fooling anyone, we all know your a softy at heart. As for the Black Lance, was the Vesuvious class counted as a black lance ship? or just normal navy?

Black Lance ships are Confed ships, but the Vesuvius isn't covert ops or anything that type of secretive.

Bandit LOAF said:
The idea that the 'name' of the fighter is Lance ..............Black Wasp, Black Panther, etc.

O.K. I get it. But if I start calling it a Lance, will anyone but you know what I'm talking about?

And while you're actually conversing with me, somewhat, could you tell me where I can find the years that particular fighters entered service? Example: Excalibur 2665.

Yes, people will know what you are talking about if you say "lance," well maybe almost everybody, atleast all the old guys will anyways

Excalibur Mk 1 enters service in 2669

O.K. I get it. But if I start calling it a Lance, will anyone but you know what I'm talking about?

Long time veterans probably will - and it's something fun to explain to the newer guys.

And while you're actually conversing with me, somewhat, could you tell me where I can find the years that particular fighters entered service? Example: Excalibur 2665.

I don't think there's an especially accurate total listing yet. We're trying to work that into ships2 (https://www.wcnews.com/ships2), but right now it only does WC1. I'm happy to answer any questions, though.

(Excalibur - 2669)

Last edited by a moderator:
I want ALL of them, not just the Excalibur. If someone could direct me to the appropriate spot I'd appreciate it.

I guess mainly the ones after Privateer. For example, the Arrow was put into service right around then, but somewhere between Privateer and WC3, we got Thunderbolt VII's. I'm working on ship availability for Privateer 3. I know some of you guys think I'm full of shit, but I'll actually be able to start putting money into it in about a year or so. That includes making some sort of deal with EA.

Back