OK Here's a zinger... Which is longer and by how much?

Yeah, I always liked the Krant too. The Jalthi looked cool too, with that huge wingspan and array of guns, still as flat as the Dralthi!

Originally posted by Wedge009
From memory - no doubt LOAF will correct:

Vesuvius: 1600m
Behemoth: 11 000m
Kilrathi Dreadnought: 22 000m
Well aren't I the buffoon.. Already knew that one :)
However I could use some sort of evidence on the length of the vesuvius... It's tough to figure out... :(

Originally posted by Wildshot
Seriously though, although I've always loved the way the original Dralthi looked, it was the stupidest design I've ever seen. Seriously, what were the benefits of making the wings so incredibly long that you could only see straight ahead?

It's explained in freedom flight... it spreads the thruster/stabalizer thingies (I'm too lazy to look things up) apart so that it's a nice, smooth, maneuverable ride.

TC

Originally posted by Manic
However, I could use some sort of evidence on the length of the Vesuvius...
I assume scale - everything in Vision is scaled, I believe. Or it could be stated in some handbook somewhere...

Originally posted by Bob McDob
According to Prophecy, the WCI Dralthi is superior to the... Darket.
So? What's Prophecy got to do with the Dralthi Mk I? And Darkets weren't seen until WC3.

Although its been stated that the Behemoth is onl 11km long, I feel whenever I afterburn past it...its a LOT longer... (IIRC I did a count in the HUD from end to centre and it was something like 50000m) just a shame everything WASN'T to scale...

50 klicks? Compared to the Victory, the Behemoth doesn't seem like even 11 km to me. Although when you actually fly through it, it seems a bit larger.

Personally, when I play flight sim games, I never bother putting anything on an actual scale, I just note if something is small, big, really big, or very big; and either than that, the only time I really use measurements is I always check which range I'll be able to shoot people at. I hate nitpicking something because it isn't realistic for the very reason that it actually isn't realistic! Its a game. It's fun, its addicting, its interesting, but it isn't real. I hope I haven't insulted anyone with these views, I enjoy the Wing Commander universe as much as the next man, but as I don't live in the Wing Commander universe, I feel no need to commit its measurements to memory(heck, I can hardly ever remember the real worlds measurements. I think it was 5 quarts in a meter)

I don't think I was nitpicking, just noting that the RealSpace engine did not scale the models appropriately.

WC3 had, IIRC, three different scales... fighter, capship and 'giant' capship... the two giant capships are scale to eachother, all the fighters are scale to eachother and all the other capships are scale to eachother.

Consider this: The dimentions listed throughout all WC manuals etc are WAY out of whack.

Consider:
The horizon line of what you can see on earth is what, about 12 miles... ~19km?
At this distance, something like a ship 400m long isnt much larger than a bull ant.
Ships in WC often traveled at speeds of ~420kps (eg, hornet) - and most fighters were only ~20m long.
If you did a flyby, the ship wouldnt even be a visible size until about .1 second until it passed you at this speed.

I've actually had to consider this a bit recently because of the Jacinta/EC Engine - the measurement 'klicks' is not going to realistically be able to be 'kilometers' in its proper form, instead is going to have to be something scaled down... I welcome ideas!

We've discussed this several times... I think LOAF pointed out that around ships, distance measures in the targeting computers switch to metres instead of kilometres.

Heh. I just work it all to a reasonable scale... canon is so questionable when it comes to scale... I go by the manuals usually

Originally posted by Wedge009
I know. It bothers me a bit too, but what's the point in trying to work it out? It's WC!

WC is life!
(That's the point... Okay, not really, but seems like a pretty good reason to me <g> :)

Back