OGame Light Fighter Looks Familiar (April 4, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
One of the recent Chat Zone fads has been OGame, a strategic sci-fi title that plays out in a web browser. It's a relative of the 4X strategy genre in a somewhat massively multiplayer setting. A few sharp eyed fans have noticed a familiar ship in the game's fleet however. The OGame "light fighter" is represented by the Confed Vampire space superiority fighter. This isn't the first time the popular craft was borrowed before. The same shot used by the OGame crew has been printed and sold as a mini-poster on eBay. At least they picked a gorgeous scene.

--
Original update published on April 4, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
A few sharp eyed fans have noticed a familiar ship in the game's fleet however. The OGame "light fighter" is represented by the Confed Vampire space superiority fighter. This isn't the first time the popular craft was borrowed before.
--
Original update published on April 4, 2006

I thought that doing that they will break the copywriter laws by selling the poster

Last edited by a moderator:
fongsaunder said:
Unless there making cash out of it, it's perfectly legal....I think...
Unless they're making cash out of the sale of posters...? How do you not make cash out of selling something? :p

Setting aside the issue Quarto pointed out, there doesn't need to be an exchange of currency for a copyright violation to have occurred. I suspect that EA, if they're even aware of it, decided it would be more expense than it's worth to litigate the issue.

(On the other hand, the usual first step, a Cease and Desist letter, isn't all that expensive. I think it's more that EA isn't aware of the issue.)

Whoa, that means that anyone can get their fanfic published without EA screwing them. Then again, maybe they'll find out ....

EA probably doesn't know, and wouldn't care enought to do anything anyway. It's not like they are distributing pirate posters to compete with the original product.

fongsaunder said:
Whoa, that means that anyone can get their fanfic published without EA screwing them. Then again, maybe they'll find out ....

No, what that means is EA hasn't taken action. Anything else is pure speculation, baring further information from someone within EA's legal or executive organizations who has authority to speak for the company.

Back