Obscure references from movies and TV

Viper61

Spaceman
I was rewatching Tron this week (don't ask me why, it was on AMC when I came home from work) and Tron (played by Bruce Boxleitner) said the line,"Curiouser and Curiouser" about Jeff Bridges character, Flynn. I had a quick flashback to Babylon 5 where President/Captain Sheridan (also played by Bruce Boxleitner) used the phrase "Curiouser and curiouser" a few times in an episode or two.
This set my mind running about tribute references to older movies and TV shows with the same actors in them. The most recent that comes to my mind is an episode of Stargate SG-1 where Capt. Carter says that they will 'MacGuyver' a solution together, resulting in a quizical look from Col. O'Neil (played by the same actor who played MacGuyver - Richard Dean Anderson).
I was just curious if anyone out there would care to share any of these homages to older shows/movies in more recent entertainment that they have seen.

C-ya

Them's not just obscure references, son, them's "inside joke" references...
That said, my fave in recent years is this one from "X-Men: the Movie":
Wolverine is going out with the crew on their mission to the Statue of Liberty, and checking out his/their black leather uniforms.

He makes some reference like:
"You guys actually go out in public in these things?..."

Cyclops responds:
"Maybe you'd prefer yellow spandex?..."

Heheheheh...

that was funny. i remember laughing at that in the theater and the people around me looking at me like i was crazy or something

Originally posted by Viper61
I was rewatching Tron this week (don't ask me why, it was on AMC when I came home from work) and Tron (played by Bruce Boxleitner) said the line,"Curiouser and Curiouser" about Jeff Bridges character, Flynn. I had a quick flashback to Babylon 5 where President/Captain Sheridan (also played by Bruce Boxleitner) used the phrase "Curiouser and curiouser" a few times in an episode or two.

Err... you realise that's a reference to Alice In Wonderland, right? Alice is constantly wandering about saying that. That is, if its a reference to anything at all... it's become pretty much common usage.

Maybe I didn't understand the whole yellow spandex thing either. I thought it was just a reference to the yellow stuff Wolverine wears in the comics.

Re: Re: Obscure references from movies and TV

Originally posted by TC
Err... you realise that's a reference to Alice In Wonderland, right? Alice is constantly wandering about saying that. That is, if its a reference to anything at all... it's become pretty much common usage.

Didn't know that one TC! :)

C-ya

Originally posted by Wedge009
Maybe I didn't understand the whole yellow spandex thing either. I thought it was just a reference to the yellow stuff Wolverine wears in the comics.

Uh, yeah. Well at least Preacher, Aries, and I thought it was funny.

Originally posted by Wedge009
You understand it perfectly.

Said reference was the crux, it WAS the inside joke.
(If you didn't think it funny, that's another issue).

It's the new production poking fun at/ paying a humorous homage to, the original medium (comix).

The deal is, folks who never read the comix will be scratching their heads wondering why we're laughing our fool heads off. As for us who did read the comix, we "get" it.

Originally posted by Viper61
The most recent that comes to my mind is an episode of Stargate SG-1 where Capt. Carter says that they will 'MacGuyver' a solution together, resulting in a quizical look from Col. O'Neil (played by the same actor who played MacGuyver - Richard Dean Anderson).

C-ya

Carter said that in the pilot episode, when she saw the DHD, " It took us 15 years and 3 super-computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth!"

Back