Oblivion Preview Videos

Fatcat

Swabbie
Banned
Bethesda jsut put out six videos detailing various aspects of their mind-pummeling new game, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The videos show off Oblivion's incredible Dynamic 3-D lighting and textureing, the awesome new Radiant AI system, and how generally unbelievable the game will be.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/media_movies.htm

Warning, the server traffic is so high, it is hard to get in. They have several mirrors.

Hmmmm.

Ok, yeah, I liked the physics-based traps and such. But there is one thing that I have incredibly huge trouble comprehending: when they first wrote that there would be no crossbows and thrown weapons, they said it was because the bow was so amazing that it took all their attention. So... what exactly is so amazing about the bow here that it required the removal of those other weapons? What's the deal with the absence of thrown weapons in a game where you can pick up and throw any item you like?

As for the Radiant AI, I hope it will be great - but you'd be a fool to assume anything about it based on these sequences; the AI was obviously scripted here, because you don't go to E3 with an interactive presentation without being 100% certain of what will happen in it (that's no criticism of them - just a simple fact).

And the graphics... yes, that forest is certainly the best forest I've ever seen in a computer game. But... I've said this before, and I'll say it again - it all just looks so darned generic. I'm sure this game will provide me with endless hours of fun... but it's no Morrowind.

(on a sidenote, the game also horrifies me in some ways - imagine the time and effort you'd need to make even a small mod for this game! Will the modding community be able to do anything on par with the content from the game itself?)

Yeah, been waiting a long time for this game. In fact, already pre-ordered at my local EB. Just found out today that it's been delayed (yet again) to Feb.-Mar. 06!

Waiting is teh suck.

This is interesting.

When morrowind was launched, people said, and still do, "wel, its no daggerfall". I mean no offense really and this is not criticism to you Quarto. I just think its interesting how sequels are usually looked down upon. If this is because of game quality, or just plain nostalgia, I am not sure, but, I think its mostly because of nostalgia. I think Morrowind is grealy superior to Daggerfall in every single way, and so will be Oblivion towards Morrowind.

Fireskull said:
When morrowind was launched, people said, and still do, "wel, its no daggerfall". I mean no offense really and this is not criticism to you Quarto. I just think its interesting how sequels are usually looked down upon. If this is because of game quality, or just plain nostalgia, I am not sure, but, I think its mostly because of nostalgia. I think Morrowind is grealy superior to Daggerfall in every single way, and so will be Oblivion towards Morrowind.
You misunderstood me, though - I was talking about style. I'm sure as a game, Oblivion will be far superior to Morrowind, it really does look very impressive. But style... Morrowind had this fantastic, unique game world, with unusual environments and a great range of weird creatures that fit those environments perfectly. It looked as though someone had really put in a lot of time creating this game world, going as far as to establish a rudimentary ecology. And it was just so darned unique - I know a lot of people who hated Morrowind's bug and dinosaurish creatures, and detested the fact that you could buy armour made of bug shells... but I don't know anyone at all who would argue that Morrowind was boring or unoriginal. I mean, the great thing about Morrowind was that just about the only real world creature in the game was the rat.

Oblivion, meanwhile, appears to be both boring, and unoriginal. Oh, look, it's a forest. With a deer in it. Hey, sure, it's the best forest ever, and the best deer ever... but you're still talking about a game world that simply takes a real life environment and dumps it into the game. Morrowind had taken a few steps towards making Tamriel a special and unique world (something previous games in the series had great difficulty with) - in this regard, Oblivion is a great leap backwards. It reminds me of those irritating "deers in Morrowind!" mods that people put out.

Imagine what could have been - so, they wanted a forest environment? Well, that's fine - just pick up a random book about prehistoric animals, and you'll find all sorts of interesting forest creatures to inspire you. Once, I also saw a really great speculative book about animals fifty million years from now - that would be another cool source of inspiration. Just because you're making a game with forests and meadows doesn't mean that you have to have stuff as boring as deer and horses. Unless they've decided to intentionally keep the unique stuff secret until release, Oblivion seems to me to be a huge missed opportunity.

after seeing the vids I think i have to play morrowwind again to get the feel again and what game is about and all

Back