No real reviews

Giga games review on NBC Europe

Pedro, were you refering to the giga game show on NBC Europe I mentioned? As indicated I did not see it myself, hence do not know whether the review was balanced or even good. the point though was and still is UE got mentioned, got some publicity. And it worked too, my brother downloaded it because he had learned of its existence there, because it was mentioned there. In any way - this is good, I believe.

On that UE review on Giga.de

This time their review published on their internet page mentioned a couple of threads before.

I made a little translation of the actual review part of that article. The first 2 passages are explaining what it is and how to get it work.the last 2 passages would translate as follows. Please note I tried to keep as close to the original meaning as possible. Its not want I think but what they wrote.

"The mod developers give you 11 challenging new missions, many new ships and even cutscenes in engine grafic. Latter being the weak spot of the whole thing - the engine grafic. Because it was made in 1998 it comes across a bit frumpy when compared to similar games, e.g. Aquanox. But that should not really put off real Wing Commander fans. The well thought out and atmospheric story is definitely worth checking it out and brings back real Wing Commander feeling to your home pc.

So wingmen get your joysticks out again, polish your afterburners some aliens must be put out of the sky/space."

I myself liked the game a lot in every aspect I can think of. I never dared to dream it to be sooooooo excellent.

Re: On that UE review on Giga.de

Originally posted by Bugfix
This time their review published on their internet page mentioned a couple of threads before.

I made a little translation of the actual review part of that article. The first 2 passages are explaining what it is and how to get it work.the last 2 passages would translate as follows. Please note I tried to keep as close to the original meaning as possible. Its not want I think but what they wrote.

"The mod developers give you 11 challenging new missions, many new ships and even cutscenes in engine grafic. Latter being the weak spot of the whole thing - the engine grafic. Because it was made in 1998 it comes across a bit frumpy when compared to similar games, e.g. Aquanox. But that should not really put off real Wing Commander fans. The well thought out and atmospheric story is definitely worth checking it out and brings back real Wing Commander feeling to your home pc.

So wingmen get your joysticks out again, polish your afterburners some aliens must be put out of the sky/space."

I myself liked the game a lot in every aspect I can think of. I never dared to dream it to be sooooooo excellent.

I guess they forgot the new 9 challenging sim missions bringing the total up to 20 even though there not technically part of the story.

Sure wish there was a facility to translate that German website UE review to English. (Spanish I could handle, but 'no sprechen se Deutsche'). Anyone care to post a translated version of it here?...
:(

Pfft... I just tried it... it's perfectly readable. Babelfish reading just takes some practice.

Taken from babelfish
Unknown Enemy Mod for Wing COMM other Prophecy (Manuel)"Wing COMM other"? Wasn't there which? Exactly that was nevertheless this space play. 1998 came "Wing COMM other Prophecy" raus, at that time a genuine hammer: Graphically as it was spielerisch the reference in things space flight simulation. Today in the year few fan put itself 2002 and programmed a Mod with the name a "Unknown Enemy" for the so far last play of the glorious "Wing Commander" series. The good to it is: You do not need times the full version of "Prophecy". "Origin", the developer company had, after large success, for fans of the play a special Schmankerl in stock. In the InterNet over 40 auxiliary missions to the Download were made available at that time. This "Secret Ops" is the basis for the Mod. it must you thus only those approx.. for 115 MT large "Full version" of "Secret Ops" install, which implement "Unknown Enemy" Installationsdatei, both naturally in the same listing pack, and already it can loose-go. You find the sides with the necessary files and the further information like always under the "Related left". Let you with the Download of the files not from the Splash screen on "secretops.com" confuse. There are the files, although stands there she would be "unavailable". The Mod developers supply with 11 fastidious new missions, many new ships and even Cutscenes to you to engine diagram. That is also the weak point at the whole thing: The play diagram. It is stop a play of 1998 and works compared with similar plays, as e.g.. "Aquanox" already somewhat much old-bake, which however for genuine "Wing Commander" fan no cause of impediment should be. Those well thought tendencyful Story out is worth an in any case view and brings again genuine "Wing COMM other" - to Feeling on the domestic computer. Thus Wingmen, unpacks the Joysticks again, polishes the Afterburner it must a few Aliens by the sky be gotten.

Originally posted by Pedro
oh we were actually on TV yesterday Doomsday, but I don't have a lot of respect for german gaming press now :p
On live television they asked the audience "how do we get it to work with XP, if you know drop us a line". This information was in the FAQ however :p

LOL... Well they ask the audience rather often. And not too seldom about how to fix bugs. 'Interactive TV' ;)
BTW: They said it runs on Windows98, but not on XP, so IMHO if they don't have the wits to get it to run on XP then damn - get that Win98 machine on air. Would that be that hard to plug another machine to the screen?!

PS: Their mailserver suppoingly was broken that very day ;)

Well, thanx, TC.

A fascinating study of German grammar and sentence structure, as it compares to English.

I especially liked the term "special Schmankerl". Wonder what it means.?... Well, I guess it don't matter-the important thing is, it sounds funny:D

Originally posted by Preacher
Well, thanx, TC.

A fascinating study of German grammar and sentence structure, as it compares to English.

I especially liked the term "special Schmankerl". Wonder what it means.?... Well, I guess it don't matter-the important thing is, it sounds funny:D

I was thinking along similar lines with you preacher when reading and thinking about the Babelfish translation that TC provided. Then I thought if this is anyway similar to how it turned out in german after decifering the translation (taking the parts out that make no since at all.) that it gave back in english they really must be lacking talented writers with a good amount of experience in Computers and technology.

Originally posted by Preacher
Well, thanx, TC.

"Schmankerl" is slang.
Dunno how to translate it 1:1.
It usually is used to describe a especially good meal. Speciality would maybe be a working translation albeit "special speciality" sounds kinda silly.

That babelfish translation really sucked. Good maybe just to have an overall clue of what the article is all about.

You still might like to go with the translation I provided, which does it best. Obviously ;)

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
I was thinking along similar lines with you preacher when reading and thinking about the Babelfish translation that TC provided. Then I thought if this is anyway similar to how it turned out in german after decifering the translation (taking the parts out that make no since at all.) that it gave back in english they really must be lacking talented writers with a good amount of experience in Computers and technology.

Wouldn't really say so about their lacking talend or experience, DoomsdayPlague. At least you could not ttell just from the article though. Yet what you could tell, it was not written by someone very familiar with Wing Commander, yet some die-hard fan. Which is just fair, BTW. And fair in what and how the article said what it said, was the review I'd like to remark.

Originally posted by Bugfix
Wouldn't really say so about their lacking talend or experience, DoomsdayPlague. At least you could not ttell just from the article though. Yet what you could tell, it was not written by someone very familiar with Wing Commander, yet some die-hard fan. Which is just fair, BTW. And fair in what and how the article said what it said, was the review I'd like to remark.

I considered two things the translation that was done then taking that stuff that didn't make since in english speak or just rearrenged it so it made sense but it still is terribly bad. the second was the TV show that some of the guys saw and hoiw that was carried out. I am just saying that I find it wierd to pay guys or gals to do that work if they honestly have no clue on how to do it. Just like you don't hire a a mechanic for your car who is not certified, becuase they make more mess than actually getting the job done they were hired to do.

Back