No medical.

He ain't a military doctor (that we know of....!), but there was also doc on Telamon who Blair encountered, and did all that fun exposition on the Black Lance's geneticly argetable nanovirus bioweapon thingamabob.

I have to agree with the fruitcake, though. Doctors are stupid, and have no place in a space flying+shooting game.

First we need to get those damn doctors out of out hospitals!

(Seriously, weird CZ doctor hate is the strangest thing I've ever seen.)

Fenris Ulven said:
i dont think there was any doctors onboard tcs victorie since it was no doctor in sight when cobra was killed by hobbes...
If you think about, we don't know how long it has been since Cobra was impaled, ever think that it was too soon for a doctor to react. A doctor just can't run there and be there as quickly as you were. I see no sight of an infirmary in the Victory, and it is obviously no way that the Victory was just the few rooms we get to go to. Say that the doctor was taking a break in the rec room, and needed to rush to the infirmary that could be two or three levels under the rec room. Then they would have to get any equipment they needed and could have gotten their too late and after the cinematic (whether you stay onboard or fly out to kill Hobbes).

Hunter's hang over treatment in FF shows probably the most about WCU docs than any other source...

Let's not forget that after the B.O.T., Blair was hospitalized for a bit (and it's fair to assume that his ejection pod was located by a military S.A.R. of some type, and he was taken to another cap ship where he would have to have immediate attention from a doctor of some type).

Kevin Tolwyn also got medical treatment after BOT (in the form of anti-radiation doses)

Bondarevsky is also like Big Duke in that he loses an arm during the behemoth mission and has a plastilimb replacemet...

Ooh, ooh. Did the bioconvergance chemist in WCIV have a doctorate? Flipped through my novel but couldn't find anything on her right off the bat.

Doctor Monkhouse from Privateer! Doctorate in archaelogy, I would imagine.

This is fun!

straight from the CIC's encylopedia...

Doctor Lemuel Monkhouse holds a Bachelor of Science in Xenophilology from Oxford University, a Masters in Xenobiology from Olympus Mons University and a Doctorate in Xenoarchaeology from Oxford University.

There has to be some sort of medical staff on board. Someone has to fix people up if there's a flu bug or virus on board. I imagine they would also have to take care of any food poisoning and what not. There's probably some sort of routine physicals they'd have to go through as well.

I'm sure it was always implied there was a medical crew on board the ships. But with a computer game, it's not like an ongoing television series. There were many Star Trek episodes where the doctors or anything medical in nature was the main focus of the show. And Star Trek is more of a character based show than a plot based one.

Wing Commander I think has always been more plot based and although I would find it interesting to see more about doctors and medics, I'm sure they just couldn't afford to make it a focus at any point, such as having a main character on board that was a doctor, ya know?

I went back and played WCIII when Cobra is attacked by Hobbes. Someone says they have to get her to the infirmary, which pretty much implies doctors on the Victory.

I don't think that Wing Commander is so much "plot-based" as opposed to "character-based" as it is focused on the theme of flying and shooting bad aliens in space as opposed to the more diverse themes of other science fiction settings. It's a difference in themes. Doctors fit less well into one, and better in the others.

Also, just because there's an infirmiry doesn't mean there's a doctor. There could just be trained medical ratings, or nurses. That's the way it usually is in modern naval vessels. I'm not saying there wasn't a doc on the Victory, but since it was a smaller carrier, and things were tight at the time, there's a significant chance they may not have had one.

I think a doctorless Victory is something that we have to consider, especially since medical doctors have no place in Wing Commander-like games (still making fun of Fruitcake).

There has to be a doctor on the ship. I would not be suprised if some of the larger carriers have multiple doctors. It would be foolishs to not have medical personel when you have crew members who might encounter radiation, injury, viral infection from alien worlds, hell STDs from shore leaves lol.

"Sir Major Banks just landed, he is pretty shot up sir, his Hellcat took an IMREC and he needs medical attention!!"
"Sorry son, this is a carrier it would be stupid to have doctor, just shoot him or through him out the airlock to put him out of his misery."
"Yes sir."

Also there were people taking Angel away on a stretcher at the end of the movie. And Blair was screaming for a medic after there was a crack in the hangar door. So there has to be some sort of person with a medical degree.

Well, as far as their being a doctor on the ship, it seems we all generally agree that there is one. There really isn't any evidence to the contrary. Remember the beds that the saved games in WC1 sleep on? With the little lifeline thingy on it?

Shipgate said:
Well, as far as their being a doctor on the ship, it seems we all generally agree that there is one. There really isn't any evidence to the contrary. Remember the beds that the saved games in WC1 sleep on? With the little lifeline thingy on it?

Those were the barracks. We know there are doctors or at least trained medics on the ships from novels like Freedom Flight and End Run (where the infirmary was among the things destroyed when the Bridge got hit), along with False Colors where Doctor Manning was one of the personnel who was shipped out to man the Karga. WC2 had Doctor Sayers downchecking Spirit, so he's either a flight surgeon or just a ship's doctor.

PeteyG said:
I think a doctorless Victory is something that we have to consider, especially since medical doctors have no place in Wing Commander-like games (still making fun of Fruitcake).

I WILL NOT BE MOCKED! YOU PATHETIC DESCENDANT OF MONKEYS :p

I could try to argue my point using the Seamonkey(tm) method (saying you can't prove it, because you've never seen any), but I guess this topic really *isn't worth it.

:p :D

Another point about a doctor(s) on the Victory... do you really think Tolwyn wouldn't have made sure there wasn't a good medical staff while he was on board?

Back