No medical.

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
Except for that psych doctor guy in Wing Commander Academy, I don't recall there ever being a ship's doctor in any Wing Commander game. Was there any mention of them in the books? Seems to me like it would be critical to have one.

In the 3rd mission of the Heaven's Gate system in WC2, Angel says that a "Dr. Sayers" reports Spirit as being too ill to fly - hence the reason Blair's out there by himself when Strakha's attack him in his missle-less Epee.

EDIT - there's also several mentions of pilots being tended to and patched up in Sickbay during WC2, from ejections/getting hit during missions/battling each other over Blair's honor as Hobbes and Stingray did/etc.

There are doctors in Freedom Flight to "treat" Hunter's drunken state. There are some in Action Stations to treat Tolwyn. Dr. Manning is a medical doctor on the Mjollnir in False Colours. We also see corpsmen at the end of the movie.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

Shipgate said:
What isn't Star Trek? Who are you? Where am I going? My glasses.....ouch!

If Wing Commander 6 would ever be released and have a doctor that in any way even *resembles* the holographic *idiot* from Voyager, grrrr.... :mad:

Doctors aren't a vital part of space operations, really.

Yes they are - the Flight Surgeon position is an essential part of the ground control on 'real' space missions.

(Alternatively, medical professionals are also an essential part of modern naval crews.)

Some off-hand references:
* Dr. Khalsa, on the Tiger's Claw (Performed Ralgha's trank-chem debriefing.)
* The TCS Austin had a full-fledged psych ward.
* Spirit's fiancee was a fighter pilot assigned to the 'Medical Corps' at Epsilon Station.
* There was a Drayman hospital ship in the Dakota series.
* The Amadeus in the WCIV intro had the Red Cross logo.
* There was a WCA episode in which the doctor and nurses onboard a hospital ship (TCS Pleiku) played a huge role.
* Doctors treat people at various times in End Run/Fleet Action: Svetlana had brain surgery at some point, landing craft at Vukar Tag did medical evacuations, a corpsman treated Big Duke after the JCS bombing...

Fruitcake said:

-Captain, Blair was badly hurt during his last mission.
-Damn, then i guess well just have to shoot him.

I'm not saying they're not referenced! But what I really meant was that there shouldn't be any miracle doctor in the games. WC provides a rather 'realistic' future (yeah yeah but compared to other sci-fi). People are dying all the time. That you lose someone does not make you special. That's one of the reasons why I like WC so much!

PS. I really wonder if I'm making any sense here... but this how I feel, anyways... :(

You're making sense, I'm sure there isn't any miracle Star Trek doctors (well they might be, who knows?), but still there's doctors nevertheless. They lose pilots all the time because they're killed in action not because there isn't any doctors. I'm sure if someone was seriously injured which is something we haven't seen yet really, they wouldn't be flying for some time.

Really there has to be doctors though, not just for wounds of war but if some unknowing pilot brings back some kind of disease from shoreleave and it spreads across the enclosed space of the ship like wildfire there needs to be a medical team to take some action. There's many reasons that medical staff are needed on cap ships.

The Kilrathi would probably have them commit sukara (if they are able to) in such a situation rather than just shoot him.

I just don't know why it's implied that if there's a doctor, that he's going to be a miracle doctor or a hologram. Why can't he just be a regular ship's physician? I suppose you could make him also be an intelligence agent like Dr. Maturin was. That's always interesting.

Fenris Ulven said:
i dont think there was any doctors onboard tcs victorie since it was no doctor in sight when cobra was killed by hobbes...

That doesn't neccesarily mean there's not a doctor. It's possible the Victory, being as small as it is, wouldn't have a doctor per-se but there would still at least be medics in some form or another.

Spien said:
That doesn't neccesarily mean there's not a doctor. It's possible the Victory, being as small as it is, wouldn't have a doctor per-se but there would still at least be medics in some form or another.

No, I'd think there'd have to be at least one Doctor onboard. The Victory, as small as it is, probably still has a crew of at least 150. I'm sure that many people would warrant at least a general practioner.

There's certainly doctors on the Victory.

There's certainly not magic appearing doctors on the Victory.

Back