Next WC game should be multiplayer

Chip

Spaceman
I hope the next WC game allows more than one player to cooperatively win the game, like maybe 4 or 5 players can play all at once. I've played Blast Radius on the Sony PlayStation, I think the next WC game needs the challenge and complexity (like multiple fighters and multiple capships) that Blast Radius offers.

Originally posted by Mav23
I think that single player and multi-player should be different areas altogether.

Well there's really no way around that, Mav.

If Single player and Multiplayer were the same thing, then they'd just be called Single Player or Multiplayer. Or maybe just Player.

They are, by their very definitions, separate.

[Makes a face like Robert Blake in LOST HIGHWAY]

Who am I? WHO THE F*CK ARE YOU!?

Wow, Chip is back. I thought he was banned. :)

(My last post in this thread, and it should be yours as well.)

I don't think your last post can also be mine, being that I didn't make it...

TC

I don't mind Chip. He acts like me. :)

I'm still lobbying for my "Massively Single-Player Armada\Starship Troopers\Privateer" game... :D

Getting somewhat back on topic here...
(Before all the boots to the head)
I don't think I could see a co-op Wing Commander multi-player working too well over the internet, for one simple reason...
That involves other people.
Has anyone ever accually played a multiplayer co-op game before?
Let's take the example of Counter-Strike, a highly popular Half-Life mod.
Back in the earlier versions of beta 6.0,6.2,7.0... there was a rash of team-killing cheats. People would slaughter their entire teams right off the start. In friendly fire on servers people still join just to destroy their whole team in the backs.
Another good example (Yes, I know this is turning into a novel)
Diablo 2...
Try making an 8 player co-operative game. I'm willing to put down money that says that atleast one of the 8 players that joins will be an asshole that will ally with you and then go agressive and kill you in the blink of an eye.
So in conclusion, I really don't see a multiplayer version of everyone's favorite game working. :(

I havent ever really been to into massive multiplayer in the past, but you really cant help cheaters. That is for the designers to handle. Its a problem on some games but it isnt all inclusive in that it always happens. As for people attacking team members well thats what clans are for. Not only are they people you can fly with all the time and hang out with but they watch your back. Some jerk off starts turning traitor on you, they swoop in and dust his ass.

Cheating in MMP usually is acomplished thru the server admins. The servers must be set up to allow the cheats, or set up to run some cfg setting up those cheats. There was a heavily played server in QuakeWorld some years ago, called "Die Hard". An excellent server with added weapons and little toys, such as runes and powerups. But, unknown to the hundreds of thousands of players that ran thru that server, the admins had a "secret" key sequence you typed in once you joined the server, and that opened a hotkey mode to allow for invulnerabiltiy, cloak, all weapons, full ammo, full health etc. Well once the cheat codes leaked out, that server went from the top 10 quakeworld servers down to zilch, in less than 2 hours! If a new WC game MMP comes out, they better make shure there is absolutely no way cheats can happen, otherwise it will fade so fast it will be worse than any previous attempt of EA/OSI to get any good results from it. Besides, who wants to play in a game where you play against nothing but cheaters!

RFB

I'm big on lobbying for some type of online Wing Commander. My friends and I have been trying to find any manner of game to compare to WC, and have especially tried for multiplayer. However, all of them seem to fall through. (Now we're making efforts on Armada. *Grins*) But the point is the same. Having played UO since it's testing phases, I know that such a game could be great, or it could really suck. That's up to

A) The programers
B)The players
C) Luck

But all in all, I think that with the love of flight sims out there, and all the support WC has, it would seem like a logical choice to revive the idea of a Privateer Online, or something of a like sort.

"My wing, break and attack!" *Bow, bow, bow, chica-chica, wow, wow, wow* ~Personal Call For Dogfights

One where you can fly to ANYWHERE in the WC universe, not just a few sectors. You can dock at bases, mines, refineries, planets, carriers. One where you can fly for any orginization, be it Confed, militia, merchants, mercenaries, pirates, Kilrathi, etc. One that fuses both a sim engine and an FPS engine so you can actually walk around on the bases, carrier etc, interact with characters, take off and land *manually*. Buy, sell whatever, and have every single ship ever in the WC games in it.

RFB

Back