Next game. . .

Icy

Spaceman
I remember when we first got WCP we were promised a few new games within the following years, specifically i think one in the winter of 2000 (latest) and one in the winter of 2002 (latest)

whatever happened with all those wonderful games we were hearing about???

Origin will be making no more Single player games for the time being and no WC MP games will be made as well.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

$#@)#$(@#$)*%@)#$&*@!#$!$@ why the hell is it that origin has to always ruin a good thing . . . priv. . . there was gonna be a MP, never made, there was gonna be a new priv .. . never made. . . WCP . . there was supposed to be 2 follow up games .. . never happened . . . was supposed to be a WC MP . .. never happened. . ..
UGH

------------------
~Icy

No Attitudes Just Energy, You know what I'm talking about

EA is what happened. It started out good (WC4 would not have been the game it was without them) then quickly started cutting budgets and nipping ideas. Now Origin is on the Online RPG kick (thanks to over a million dollars in revenue every month) and until that cash cow dies, there probably won't be anymore.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

The only good thing right now seems to be that there can't be more than 3 UO games. And now that the space sim market is becoming so thin, EA might see it as a possible good source of profit in a few years when space sim fans are hungry. The RPG genre was pretty much dead untill Diablo came along, and sold millions bringing incredible amounts of money for Blizzard.

The Flight Simulator is almost dead. It's a shame since it was my favorite genre. RPGs and RTS now rule the gaming industry. But all the UO coming out? Here's a simple Howard Stern type conclusion to Origin's idiocy.(For those who don't know, Howard Stern is a Very funny yet vulgar radio host. Father of the songs, Living la vida homo, Hooker in a bottle, and stories such as Pooh goes ape Sh*t.)
Origin is run by a bunch of morons that can only play with them selves, if ya catch my drift... One day they say: "Hey, i got the perfect idea, lets be f*gs and discontinue the WC franchise and concentrate on Multiplayer Ultima so we can loose so much money with 5 years well be so bankrupt God will be laughing at us at how stupid we are!" (My apologies to those not of the Catholic Religion) Fruitcake #2: "Hey that's a great idea, while we are at it lets be so mean that we will make the people behind the WCERSP look so bad too."

And so my friends, is the tale of the end of the Wing Commander Franchise. The only thing we're missing now is a 21 gun salute.

No offense Viper, but you're acting like an asshole right now...

Did you even think about the subject before you posted? It's not OSI that's calling the shots, it's EA, and they see the millions every month rolling into their pockets and they think that more UO's will bring them more of those millions. It's that simple.

And while you're at that, please name some company's that would release source codes for their games just because couple hundred fans asked them too.

Ok maybe I am an asshole, but the first time I ever heard of Ultima was when I bought Prophecy and looked on the back of the CD case. In all my years I never ever seen an Ultima game for sale in canada (Montreal to be precise) and believe me I practically live at Comp software shops. Even if ORIGIN (i'm not saying ea because I love NHL 2001, Long live EA sports) makes a half-assed game and straps "Wing Commander" on the box all the stores in the world are going to be sold out in 10 minutes. Hell it worked with Prophecy and that was reall really half-assed.

A single player game will never bring as much profit as a masively multi player one that has about 100,000 regular subscribers.

Picture this, origin releases WC 10, and it sells a 700,000 (which is about as much as Prophecy sold) copies. Now, let's say that each of those sells for $35. That will equal $24,500,000 in profit.

UO, brings in $1,500,000 from it's 150,000 regular subscribers, in ONE month. Multiply that over a year, and you get $18,000,000. You get $36,000,000 for two years, and that's not counting the original sales of the game.

Just because you've never heard of Ultima, doesn't mean that it's not a popular game, and a good one too. UO, is probably the best RPG I played. Not because it has the best combat system, or story, but the interaction between the thousands of people makes it a great game.

It is however unlikely that more than 3 UO's could surviwe at the same time (even 3 at one time is a gamble on EA's part IMO).

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 10, 2000).]

Lol that's the funniest thing I heard in my life. Ultima the best RPG ever, hahaha the best is Diablo 2. Ever play it?

Ice Viper said:
Lol that's the funniest thing I heard in my life. Ultima the best RPG ever, hahaha the best is Diablo 2. Ever play it?
Did you even play UO? If no, than please shut up.

Yes, I'm playing D2 right now. It's a great game, but it's not a real RPG. It's an action RPG, a hack 'n slash. And only when playing online does it start to be an RPG. But it's nowhere near the experience of UO, in which you interact with character. That's what you're supposed to be doing in an RPG.

Earthworm: I believe you forgot to mention the $5 million or so that the 150,000 UO subscribers had to pay to get the game in the first place.
Personally, I think that even two UO games at the same time is pushing the limit, because there are quite a few other competitors out there now. Unlike traditional RPGs, online-only RPGs demand the user's single-minded loyalty. After all, how many personalities can you juggle at one time?
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't do more than one MMP game at a time. I have a thing about spending money. When I do, I get the most out of it that I can. I don't go to a buffet unless I can eat a cow, and I don't pay the monthly bills for an RPG unless I can put in massive amounts of time.

Unfortunatly, that tends to hurt grades... badly.

Ice Viper: Calling Diablo a RPG is really stretching it. The Ultima series, the Fallout series, Planescape: Torment, Balder's Gate series. These are real role-playing games. Diablo series while fun, is nothing more than mindless hack and slash action click-fest. A real RPG must have a real story and characters, have real decisions. Nothing of which may be found in Diablo 1 or 2 (though 2 at least tried).

------------------

Thinking about online games...

Why do they make you pay for the game to start out with? I'd be much more likely to try some of the games if I could download it, pay for one month, and try it out. If I decided to keep playing, I'd probably pay for a retail version with a CD for convience, documentation, any cool little addons (wish UO would have had a cloth map like U7) and a month or two free.

To me, it seems kinda stupid to pay for a game you can't use unless you pay more. Not that its a bad deal with UO now, since you can pick it up for $20, and get a month free, but I would never try Everquest at $50 or so dollars. Although, even if it was cheap and I didn't care about flunking out of college, I'd probably still play UO cuz Origin rules (except for that whole no more WC in the immediate future thing).

Quarto said:
Earthworm: I believe you forgot to mention the $5 million or so that the 150,000 UO subscribers had to pay to get the game in the first place.
I did mention them:
***and that's not counting the original sales of the game.***
But since I don't know how many copies UO sold I didn't give any numbers for that.
smile.gif

Personally, I think that even two UO games at the same time is pushing the limit, because there are quite a few other competitors out there now.
Oh, I know, but I think 3 UO's could survive, but there's no way the third one would bring as much profit as the first two (neither will the second one bring as much as the first one).

Unlike traditional RPGs, online-only RPGs demand the user's single-minded loyalty. After all, how many personalities can you juggle at one time?
smile.gif
Yup, and I can't see more than a few thousand people out of the 150,000 quiting the first UO just to get better graphics in one of it's sequels. After you've spent so much money and time on one game you don't just quite it. And I doubt OSI will include an option to transfer your old characters in any of the UO games.

Wolf Dog said:
Why do they make you pay for the game to start out with? I'd be much more likely to try some of the games if I could download it, pay for one month, and try it out.
Because the company that's making the game doesn't know if you're going to play it. Unlike SO which was pretty cheap, an online game would require massive amounts of time and money. And if people could just download it and than decide that they don't like it, the whole effort would go to waste. Plus it brings them more money.
smile.gif

Back