Newbie Question on WC Prophecy

bw_dave

Spaceman
Hi there,

I have a suspicion that this is a question that may have been asked before, so please excuse me - I am quite new to the WC saga in a sense.

I played WC3 when it came out and loved it. I couldn't afford WCIV when it came out (was just a school kid), but I wanted it. I even picked up a "Kilrathi Saga" box in a shop once, and debated whether it was worth forking out AU$50 for ... unfortunately I decided in the negative (doh!).

Anyway I played WC Prophecy on a friend's computer last year and it fired up a passion to get and play all the Wing Commander games. Many ebay bids later, I am getting there :)

Anyway I found a store here in Australia that had 2 new copies of WC Prophecy Gold left, so I promptly bought them both. OK enough of my boring history ... I was just looking at the Special Ops site today for the first time, and reading the fiction stories, when lo and behold I saw a comment that Blair was "missing, presumed dead". This made me think back to the end of Propechy, where you don't ever actually see Blair die (I kept thinking he'd pop up just before the end).

So I was wondering - does anyone know of any of the books or any documents which specifically say that he died, or were the producers hoping for an open end on the topic??

Thanks for reading this far if you have ... I'm sorry I went on so long - I get a bit excited about re-finding a childhood interest, and its been great to find that there are other fans and resources out there still :)

Heh, heh. That's a touchy topic. Basically, he's out of the picture, I presume cos Hamill didn't want to do anymore WC. Whether Blair returns or not... well, that's actually a secondary to whether WC returns or not! :)

When Prophecy was released, the plan was for Blair to be dead -- the tower falling into the tunnel was done by an artist without instruction from higher up. After Prophecy, Origin refused to comment on whether he was alive or dead... and then they gave him a memorial service in the SO fiction.

Thanks for the reply ... it brings me to another question: I saw a list of the cast for the Wing Commander movie the other day, and it said to my surprise (down the bottom) "Mark Hamill ...Merlin".

Did he make a cameo then or something ? I never saw the movie, but it made me wonder whether Mark still has a slight affinity for the WC universe. This in turn made me think that he might be convinced to at least put in an appearance should there ever be another WC game. Or maybe its just that Chris Roberts likes working with him :)

Anyway I'm rambling now.

Mark Hamill voiced Merlin free of charge (G) (And then most of Merlin's lines got cut...)

Merlin's lines getting cut made me cry... but not as much as the traitor plot getting cut. I mean, really! What's a Wing Commander product without a traitor :(

TC

Hey, what's a Roberts' product without a traitor?

*spoilers alert*

WC2: Zach 'Jazz' Colson
Strike Commander: ... Janet... uhm.. Vixen
WC3: Ralgha nar Hallas
WC4: Tolwyn betrayed humanity (or Blair betrayed Confed)
Starlancer: Col. McGann and Viper betrayed the Alliance

Need to say more?

Chris Roberts certainly does have a prediliction for traitors, doesn't he, but in regards to a remark from down below. Mark Hamill didn't want out of the WC series. The original script for Prophecy called for him to be the main character, and the game was organized like Wc4. But Origin took a poll about Wing Commander what seems like eons ago, and the fanebase clearly wanted a new player-character. They couldn't do anything more with Colonal Blair.

Nothing gets his juices flowing like the acts of the traitor.

The so called 'original' Prophecy script floating around the internet has nothing to do with the original plans for Prophecy. It's an elaborate piece of fan-fiction. I've seen the original script, and it still stars Casey. :)

Merlin's lines being cut didn't make you cry, it meant they cut out the stupid 3D person.

It is some sort of notepad with an highly developed AI belonging to Blair in the WCTM novel. I am not sure whether it appeared in the movie as Blair's ship's computer.

Fair enough. I guess I didn't take too much notice of the movie. All that stuff about Pilgrims, the whole mysticism, I thought took away from the rough as guts action of the games.

In the shooting script of the movie, Merlin was to be a little 3D character who provided exposition at various points in the movie (like a PDA, but shaped like a little holographic guy) -- they decided he was too corny, and never bothered to render the character and then removed all the scenes with him. Since they still needed some of that exposition, they named the Rapier's computer AI Merlin and had it talk to Blair a few times.

Originally posted by LividLiquid
Chris Roberts certainly does have a prediliction for traitors, doesn't he, but in regards to a remark from down below. Mark Hamill didn't want out of the WC series. The original script for Prophecy called for him to be the main character, and the game was organized like Wc4. But Origin took a poll about Wing Commander what seems like eons ago, and the fanebase clearly wanted a new player-character. They couldn't do anything more with Colonal Blair.

Shure would have been better if the WCP script cast him as the main character along side with Casey as his wingman. Maybe Blair could have been in command of the Midway, which is what I was expecting at the begining of that game. His character was more in tune to an advisor rather than a real active role for his rank. I always wondered why Blair wasnt in command when the Midway class ships was HIS idea to begin with! But with the huge cut in WCP's budget and script changes I guess thats what happens.

RFBurns

I would think that if Blair couldnt strap on a fighter anymore, instead of just watching them from the flightline aboard ship, hed be trying to improve life in general for pilots like building giant roomie megacarriers, improving launch systems so pilots are never stranded without any backup cause someone crashed on the flightdeck and improving infromation technology so pilots can know as much as possible before going into a fight.

I remember seeing in Origin site, a drawing of a flight suit with "Blair" in the helmet inside a cockpit, in the first stages of WC P.

Blair seeming like an advisor would definatley go along with his assigned position as an advisor...:)

Anyway, the WCIV novel showed that Blair has very, very little understanding of how to command a capital ship -- so he probably wouldn't be the best person to command the Midway.

Back