Newbie here (Not sure if this is general or tech question)

KaiOsprey

Spaceman
Hello folks, I am new to the forum. I found this place the other day while day dreaming about the good old days of playing Wing Commander in my youth. Imagine how pleasantly surprised I was to find this place, and to see so many of the old school games still out and about.

I have a quick question, and I hope this does not violate any rules...and I hope this is not something I missed while skimming the forum. If this is against the rules, please forgive me and remove this post.

I noticed on the main page that one can play Armada and Prophecy online in multiplayer mode. I read somewhere else on the board that the Secret Operations downloads are no longer available. My question is thus...Can one play multiplayer Prophecy without the "Gold" addition? Should I try to randomly find folks playing Armada instead? Should I try both? What is the scoop?

As a side note, I was wondering how many folks here play prophecy online or Armada in multiplayer, and how could I meet up with a group of folks. I know that there is an IRC channel, but I would feel a little shy just jumping into IRC and asking random folks if they wanted to play a few rounds.

I am not looking for a way to scam my way into playing older games, nor am I trying to avoid paying for Prophecy Gold. I am just sending out feelers to see how large the online community is for this game in multiplayer so I can decide if buying Prophecy Gold is a wise investment. $50 clams is alot of dough to me. :)

Any advise would be welcomed.

Any multiplayer Ming Commander is a good thing in my book.

Regards,

Kai Osprey

First, Welcome to the CIC ChatZone!

WCP MP requires only the original WCP. The scoreboard is here which lists people who have played and had the stats reported to the CIC.

Your best bet is starting a thread here and jumping into IRC. Don't worry about being shy, we are a great bunch and always willing to help a fellow wingnut out.

I'd be more than happy to help you get a large match going, and I'm sure Houkiboshi is frothing at the mouth right now thinking of more pilots to fight in deep space :)

As for Armada, I've yet to try it out yet on the net but would be more than willing to try and put in a few games.

Your best bet again though is start a thread here and organize some times and definitely jump into #wingnut on IRC (irc.wcnews.com). If you want I'll be on there tonight after 4:45 EST, so stop on by!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forums! :)

I think it's possible to play WCP multiplayer with the non-Gold WCP, you just need the WCP enhancement pack (it's on the list of hot items on the main page, left side).
But I wouldn't swear on it because, sadly, I never played WCP multiplayer. I haven't played Armada online in years either, shame on me. But there are members who have matches more or less regularily WCP mulitplayer(at least that's my impression) and they certainly welcome any new interested fan. I think it's less for Armada.

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay.

Edit: Well, I see Dundradal has already taken care of you.

We used to have fairly regular matches over the summer, but school and work has made it a bit harder.

We really need to get off our asses and setup some weekly times for Arena, WCP MP, and Armada, speaking of I'm starting a thread now to get this stuff going...

:)

Thanks for all the replies. I guess now I would just ask...What is the best way to legally obtain a copy of prophecy?

thanks

Kai

Dah, keep jumping between threads :)

The best way would be through eBay. There are quite a few copies floating around there and they are fairly cheap. Just have to watch on shipping, because I'm assuming you aren't in the US.

I'd be more than happy to help you get a large match going, and I'm sure Houkiboshi is frothing at the mouth right now thinking of more pilots to fight in deep space :)

Yup, I am :D

Welcome to the forums! :)

I think it's possible to play WCP multiplayer with the non-Gold WCP, you just need the WCP enhancement pack (it's on the list of hot items on the main page, left side).
But I wouldn't swear on it because, sadly, I never played WCP multiplayer. I haven't played Armada online in years either, shame on me. But there are members who have matches more or less regularily WCP mulitplayer(at least that's my impression) and they certainly welcome any new interested fan. I think it's less for Armada.

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay.

Edit: Well, I see Dundradal has already taken care of you.

Well, I used to play on a un-modified WCP... Just download the MP pack

We used to have fairly regular matches over the summer, but school and work has made it a bit harder.

We really need to get off our asses and setup some weekly times for Arena, WCP MP, and Armada, speaking of I'm starting a thread now to get this stuff going...

I've been a little busy, but I'm always up for a good fight:D

There's no gameplay differences between WCP in standard or Gold form. The most significant things are stuff like different disc art and manual with the game.

Besides Amazon and eBay, Half.com is a great place to get old WC games. http://product.half.ebay.com/Wing-Commander-Prophecy_W0QQprZ53925547QQtgZinfo

Back