New website online

gevatter Lars

Vice Admiral
The new website has gone online and I hope you like the new design.
Beside information about the project we also have a new trailer online.
It could be that a new version with a little updated audio will come online and then it will be in DivX instead of MPEG2.

And if you have forgoten where to find us...here is the link -> http://wcsaga.solsector.net/

Just downloaded the latest FS2 build, and one of the options in the launcher was: "enable features for Wing Commander Saga"... Does this mean that we'll need to reconfigure the damn thing to play saga?
I loved your trailer BTW!:)

Hmm, for some reason the site takes a while to load all the spliced images...I have a 3mbit down connection...anyone else having problems?

Maj.Striker said:
Hmm, for some reason the site takes a while to load all the spliced images...I have a 3mbit down connection...anyone else having problems?

There can be several issues:

1. Number of allowed connection to the web server. The website uses a few background images
2. Server location: it is in Germany

Just downloaded the latest FS2 build, and one of the options in the launcher was: "enable features for Wing Commander Saga"... Does this mean that we'll need to reconfigure the damn thing to play saga?

I am not entirely sure what you mean. Surely you will need to enable Saga features to be able to play the game (and a few other features as well).

You only have to set different settings in the luncher if you have Saga and FS2 in the same folder and want to switch between them every now and then.
Still their is a development for the luncher that lets you select what mod you would like to run.
Beside that if you download our standalone pack you just need to make the settings the first time you lunch the game and then never again.
Beside that you could also make a copy of the exe file and rename it to maybe WCS.exe and then load it in the luncher. Make youir settings at say apply. Then the next time you start just select the exe for the WCS or FS2.
Then the different settings for each should start.

i'd like to know what format the trailer is...because it wont play at all for me.

n/m...saw the format....but it still won't play.

Hey Brad, I know what you mean the mpeg never worked for me either.

Ive uploaded a new DivX version to the server, it has slightly better audio too. I'll get someone to set up a link.

The MPEG should be playable with any program you play normal DVDs.
Strange that people have this problem.
Well here is the DivX version Ed spoke about..hope that Tolwyn will post it also on the page soon.

WC Saga Trailer 04 DivX its about 60MB packed in RAR.

You have to install an mpeg2 codec on your system as it is NOT supplied by windows media player.

Tolwyn i have a dvd player on my system but just to make sure i just installed the mpeg2 codec anyway and it didnt make a difference. So i dont know, its weird :confused:

BTW can you put a link to the DivX version on the website?:)

i gotta say...that is freaking awesome. overall it is way impressive. i know its a final cut, but some thoughts i had.

the guy playing saidi i thought was overacting just a touch, his lines didnt feel very natural.

the guy playing Gloe could have done with a little movement. I know it makes compositing a little bit trickier, but could have helped add a bit of life to it.

the kilrathi fleet is a bit static and seemed a bit to....mechanically placed as well. Maybe a little more movement and randomness to their placement could help.

My only suggestions, but...yeah, it is one hell of an impressive piece of work. Excellent job there guys :)

edit:

oh, and a bit brigther too. seemed a tad to dark. but only in the combat scenes.

Thanks and critisim is allways welcome.

About the actors:
Gloe is a friend of mine that I pressed into acting the other is my neighbour.
They both made their acting the best way they could...and I as director was to tierd to say anything. Still I am lucky and thankfull that I found some people to do that acting.
Still your critic is right. I maybe should have seen that and told them during the shots. Next time will be better ^_^

Static scenes:
Yes most of the shots are more or less static...didn't had the time to make more...one of the points I would change if I had more time.

About beeing so dark
Well the color correction was made with PAL TV in mind. On TV its a little bit lighter then on the PC.
Still the overall mode was to be dark.

Well, I must say, I've never been that impressed with Saga screenshots in spite of the FS2 engine... but it's very impressive that you managed to have live-action in your trailer (and, uh, the other stuff in the trailer looked great also :) ).

Are you by any chance planning to shoot more live-action for the game itself, or is it too much effort? ;)

Sadly their are no plans for doing any live-actors films in the future.
That is for the simple reason that I don't have the equipment for doing it since all of the stuff I used are from my school and its only for students so when I finish school in a few weeks I won't have excess to it.
Maybe I could talk to them but I see nearly no chance why I should get a special treatment.
Another problem would be to get some actors, costumes and other objects (helmets for example). While it could be done over time to get the costumes it would be much harder to find actors. I allready had a problem finding two..mostly people first tell you they would do it but then turn around when you stand in front of them with the cam...if you get what I mean.
Well I understand it..beeing camera shy myself.
Another thing is real life. After school I have to find a job and working on my demo DVD.

So even if I would like to do some more of these stuff I don't know if I would have the time and resources to do it.

PS: I would like to do this as a job but since their isn't a WC movie or game announced in the near future I don't think that I can life from just doing a fan project.

What is more likely to happen is that I will do some animation/spacescenes in the future for cutscenes...and I have to finish that god damn interface befor Starman gets mad about me doing every thing else ^_^

Back