New WC Games

Originally posted by Unforgiven

That's because it doesn't only needs to be translated, it also needs to be resynchronised (ie it must fit the mouth movements of the actors). Subtitles are only translations (sometimes a little shorter so you can actually read them in the time they are on screen) and are therefore often better.
A lot of DVDs in the Netherlands also contain German and French audio tracks, next to the original English, so I wouldn't be surprised if the German DVD turns out to be the same one as the one that was sold in the Netherlands.

Yeah, that might be the problem of the bad translations. But sometimes the translators actually change the meaning of a sentence with their translation. That's where matching the mouth movement becomes quite secondary IMHO. I'd rather have a slightly odd mouth movement than some of the crap they translated.
Unfortunately, I won't get to the stores before Friday, maybe even only Saturday to look for the German WC DVD. You'll have to be patient if you want me to look.

Originally posted by Battler Hawke

but how menny peaple saw the movie then got into the games or the novies;)
I don't think that's a big number...

Originally posted by Unforgiven

That's because it doesn't only needs to be translated, it also needs to be resynchronised (ie it must fit the mouth movements of the actors). Subtitles are only translations (sometimes a little shorter so you can actually read them in the time they are on screen) and are therefore often better.

I'm suddenly reminded of the translation of the PSX game Xenogears. The opening dub was well done, and the closing dub was pretty close, but in between...

Lets just say there was little to no quality control on this. It was quite common to have an animated FMV sequence where the lips were moving LONG after the voice quit.

I read somewhere that the wc movie was supposed to be "loosely based in the wing commander universe." Doesn't that cause a little trouble? LOL

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
I read somewhere that the wc movie was supposed to be "loosely based in the wing commander universe." Doesn't that cause a little trouble? LOL

Wow, we're like twins: I've read lots of stupid crap too!

But all of those are incredibly stupid unofficial sources <G> One of them is somebody's E/N site, for God's sakes. And the one at the CIC is quoted from "the Hoosier Times".

As some of you indicated the WC movie isn't very bad, it doesn't look like WC and doesn't really fit into the WC universe, but it "feels" like WC: The desperate battle of a single Carrier and its unique crew turning the tides of war in the struggle against the Kirathis. (Maybe if you've read the WC novells, you'd "feel" it as well)

I hope a new game will be set during the time of war against the Kilrathis (I don't like the bugs from Prophecy). Put me in charge of a battlegroup and I'd be the happiest gamer in the world.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
But all of those are incredibly stupid unofficial sources <G> One of them is somebody's E/N site, for God's sakes. And the one at the CIC is quoted from "the Hoosier Times".

Hey don't go knocking the Hoosier Times, their site states:

The policy of this newspaper is to strive for accuracy.

Like perfection, total accuracy may be unattainable; however it will remain our primary goal and we will not feel satisfied until it is within our grasp.

They couldn't possibly be wrong. Or we missed the correction :D

Corsair(pilot) I'm not a big fan of the movie either, but the movie novels made it fit into the WC universe siginificantly better, imho. At least it isn't as bad as a couple of things Lucas has been doing to the SW franchise. Anyone see the SNL view on N'SYNC in Attack of the Clones?

Originally posted by the__phoenix
As some of you indicated the WC movie isn't very bad, it doesn't look like WC and doesn't really fit into the WC universe, but it "feels" like WC: The desperate battle of a single Carrier and its unique crew turning the tides of war in the struggle against the Kirathis. (Maybe if you've read the WC novells, you'd "feel" it as well)
(...)

I did read the novels (and liked them) still the movie didn't evoke
the particular WC feeling I was used to.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Like perfection, total accuracy may be unattainable; however it will remain our primary goal and we will not feel satisfied until it is within our grasp.

Corsair(pilot) I'm not a big fan of the movie either, but the movie novels made it fit into the WC universe siginificantly better, imho. At least it isn't as bad as a couple of things Lucas has been doing to the SW franchise. Anyone see the SNL view on N'SYNC in Attack of the Clones?

Hellooooo double post... :)
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I did read the novels (and liked them) still the movie didn't evoke the particular WC feeling I was used to.
I got the same feeling...
After playing WC3, I got used to picture Blair as Mark Hamill each time I read about him in the novel, and same goes with each actor that played the WC characters... Tolwyn would be Malcolm McDowell, Bondarevsky the cartoon we see in WC2...

Seeing new faces in the WCM was a bit odd, among other things... :)

No idea how that happened. I'm not saying the movie novels evoked in me, the same feelings as the game. I'm just saying, for me, the novels made the movie more palatable. I have the same "problem" with books and movies. I read the Stand before the mini-series, but when I reread it now, I picture Gary Sinese, Molly Ringwold, etc. instead of whatever I had in my head before.

I was refering to the_phoenix not to you Shane, just to clear that up.

And the new faces in the movies really weren't a big problem for me (Seeing Paladin for the first time in WC3, that was a shock! :)). Except the Kilrathi in the movie, I had a problem with them.

Hey, Unforgiven: I checked what the German DVD has as languages: Only English and German, sorry. Still interested? (Price is rather high about 27 €].

Originally posted by Shane

EVL DOBBLE POSING!!!!!11111

And NS got pulled. :D

Originally posted by Bob McDob

EVL DOBBLE POSING!!!!!11111

And NS got pulled. :D

Firstoff, don't be stupid. Immitating l33ts3ak was cute for about six minutes in 1998.

Secondoff, they didn't necessarily get pulled. Lucasfilm claims they won't know (as they're simply extras) until the final cut is completed.

Thirdoff, if Lucas eventually does remove them from the film, do you honestly believe that this will create some sort of time vortex and prevent the SNL sketch that Shane asked if we'd seen from ever existing?

Back