New Wallpaper: A battlefield view from a Hellcat V cockpit !

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
Sphynx said:
The cold vacuum of space has erupted into absolute chaos. Klaxons echo stridently across the flight deck, announcing the unexpected arrival of a Kilrathi strike force. The FORCAP fighters have already engaged the Kats and are taking losses, and enemy bombers have broken through the defensive line and are nearly within strike range. Time is of the essence. Footsteps ring against the deck, mingled with the urgent shouts of technicians making desperate final checks of the fighters.

The canopy of your Hellcat V slides into position and seals itself shut. Your VDU crackles, and the image of the comm officer clears you for takeoff. You jam your throttle forward and feel the acceleration slam you hard against your headrest. Your Hellcat streaks out of the fighter bay and you peel off towards the oncoming attackers.

It comes in a moment, suddenly: the moment of contact. Friendly and enemy ships swarm around you in a deadly dance to the death. Space is pierced by thousands of bright energy pulses, eerily beautiful as they go about the business of dealing death.

Your pulse pounds as your radar screen shows a red blip in the 6 o’clock position. In an instant, you punch the afterburners and bank hard to starboard. Glancing over your shoulder, you catch the unmistakable acrid gleam of plasma bolts streaking out towards you from the Vaktoth that has taken advantage of the confusion and pounced on you from behind. Your VDU shield display flickers and fades as several of the plasma bolts find their mark, and sparks spray over you from shorting wires.

You slam into an Immelman, followed by an afterburner slide and find yourself coming up low and behind the enemy Vaktoth. Emerald meson bolts lance towards you from the Kat's tail guns, and you throw your Hellcat into a tight velocity roll to avoid the oncoming firestorm. Your guns rake the tail of the Vaktoth, and it hits its burners and begins to pull away, but not before you hear the tone of an IR locking on. You depress the missile trigger, and watch as the IR tracks right up the tail pipe of the Vaktoth, reducing it to flaming debris. This was one small victory, but the fight is far from over. Your carrier calls for more support, and you bank hard in pursuit of the Kilrathi bombers…

Moments like these are what draw fans into the Wing Commander series and make us feel at home inside the cockpits of our favorite WC fighters. It is from the memories of these adventures that WC Saga’s gevatter Lars has utilized his impressive 3D skills to bring us this compelling render of a battlefield view from a Hellcat V cockpit. Notice the artistic allusions to such familiar works as the End Run cover and the box art of Wing Commander I.

wallpaper_03.jpg

Where to get it? Here

Good lord, why did you only upload it as a .rar? It's a wallpaper, not a hurking giant download! Oh well, I guess I will view it when I get home. I don't have winrar here at work. From the tiny thumbnail attached I assume it will look nice.

Yes, I also appreciate greatly the normal version. That is an excellent scene! I love it very much. If you could put a cockpit like that into WC Saga it would be amazing! :) (Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge nudge, knowwhattamean?)

Thanks.
And I know what you mean. We are thinking about a solution. Hope the BSG guys might give us a helping hand since they allready made it.
Still it won't be in the prologue since it would be to much work (its nearly finished.)

But we have the source code, all we have to do is nag some HLP uber-coder guy until he figures out some great solution.;)

And thats the problem...these coders are like very sensetive flowers and tend to do what they mostly think is importend. Still cockpits are possible from the technical point. Its only the question when we are good enough.
We had to make new models that include the cockpits on a low detailed base. The cockpit I have used here has nearly every detail modeled...thats not possible for the ingame stuff...except...well we will see.

gevatter Lars said:
The cockpit I have used here has nearly every detail modeled...thats not possible for the ingame stuff...except...well we will see.
Except the lovelly dots! ;)

Ed

Fleets clashing, fighters dueling, missiles and gun fire everywhere... and the autopilot light is on?... Meh, I can live with that. Incredible peice of work, just fantastic.

That must be some autopilot! :) Didn't they claim that Maniac took down two destroyers, but everyone said he was really just on autopilot?

Really, though, fantastic work, Lars.

Sphynx said:
That must be some autopilot! :) Didn't they claim that Maniac took down two destroyers, but everyone said he was really just on autopilot?
Yeah, but I think everyone was just jealous :).

Marc said:
Fleets clashing, fighters dueling, missiles and gun fire everywhere... and the autopilot light is on?... Meh, I can live with that. Incredible peice of work, just fantastic.

Its a malfunctioning hellcat, obviously!
:D

the rear shields have taken a hit too, and the targeting computer isnt working either. that bird shouldnt have been launched ~~~.

Iceman16 said:
the rear shields have taken a hit too, and the targeting computer isnt working either. that bird shouldnt have been launched ~~~.
Well, duh... it's a Hellcat, of course it shouldn't have been launched - or even made, for that matter :D.

Back