New Sound Card

Ghost

Emperor
Hello people this is my Q:

I want to change my Sound Card and want to know what card is best to play P, the old WCs, and other things.
She must have a good sound for DVD, MP3, etc.

Sound Blaster Live. My 2 year old Live Value does DOS just fine, I don't know if the more recent Live models are any different.

I have a SBLive Platinum and I don't recommend it. It's been almost a year since the last software release. There a compartitiblity issues with DirectX 8 and LW3 which CL has not fix yet. Also CL has stop supporting DOS. They have remove most DOS drivers from their web site and their newsgroup support avoid DOS related question.

The Santa Cruz Turtle Beach has receive a lot of praises. They also do a lot of driver releases. It seems to be a favorite of ex-sblive owners.

Hercules has a new card which I've also heard good stuff about.

Philips Acoustic Edge also is consider a good card.

Here are some site you can check out.
http://3dsoundsurge.com/
http://www.viahardware.com/scfaq.shtm
http://www.3dai.net/reviews.html
You can also check out this newsgroup.
comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech

[Edited by Johnl12 on 08-07-2001 at 22:21]

I personally endorse the Creative Sound Blaster PCI 128. It's not as expensive as most other Creative cards, and still offers hardware sound buffering, three MIDI wavesets and surround sound.

Also, it has DOS drivers, though you have to go through some stuff to get them to work.

Since we are on subject of sound cards....

Is there any way to get Privateer I to work with a SB Live? I've tried everything I know and nothing.. called Creative Tech and was told no go because card was PCI and program will not work with PCI. WC for windows works with PCI .. any ideas?

Thanks.

Yeh, easily...
if you send me an email to raven@challenge-au.com, and tell me what OS you're using, I'll try help you out with settings, and send you the required files - although they ARE on the LiveWare CD...
If you're running 95 or 98, you need ctsyn.ini, and the files in the DOSDRV (I think) directory for liveware... just SET BLASTER to the settings given in ctsyn.ini (ie, like A220, D5, I1 etc), and run sbeinit... that will give you PnP emulation stuff you want, allowing you to use sound :)

Re: Since we are on subject of sound cards....

Originally posted by Oldun
Is there any way to get Privateer I to work with a SB Live? I've tried everything I know and nothing.. called Creative Tech and was told no go because card was PCI and program will not work with PCI. WC for windows works with PCI .. any ideas?

Thanks.
What OS are you using? Post your autoexec.bat, config.sys and dosstart.bat. We do this all the time.

he only really need to add two lines to the autoexec -

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\LIVEWARE

BLASTER is system specific - like I said you need to know the settings, which are in CTSYN.INI
CTSYN is the location of the DOS drivers etc for the card.

Actually it's three lines. If he ran the setup.exe for the dosdrv it will look like this:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
(There a PROBLEM with the way this is being posted. The above two lines should be one complete line.)

You'll also need to add the J200 to add a joystick port. The setup.exe will also add to the Config.sys this:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

But to get P1 to work we will need to make additional modifications to the autoexec.bat and config.sys. This is best done via a bootdisk, though we can do a Icon, but I perfer the bootdisk.

Depends if he wants SBEINIT loaded every time. I load it manually, since I sometimes want the memory left available.

His config.sys and autoexec.bat are irrelevant unless he already has those lines. Why the hell would you need to know what's in them, short of needing HIMEM and EMM386

(and DONT tell me a CD driver is needed - Privateer can be run from the HDD - copy the files to a directory, and SUBST the dir as a drive. install it from there - I actually load the CD(though the files are on HDD) as a ramdisk - doesnt improve speed anything noticable, but it's <100MB, not like privateer needs 256MB).

akashra,

Silent Warrior. Ghost, Stringer, and I always ask for the autoexec.bat, config.sys and dosstart.bat so we can see what dos drivers are being loaded. Like sound card, mouse, cd-rom, ect. This provides information which we need to be able to help them better. We four are the ones who usually help people here. We kind of got this down pretty solid.

Since the porpose here is that Oldun want to play P1 with sound why wouldn't we have load the SBEINIT.COM. Also this is how you'll would get SB16 Emulation in windows. But we are planning to use a boot disk to run P1.

I know you can copy the *.tre files to c:\privater and edit the priv.cfg and rf.cfg. But I like to get the cd-rom going to so it can be use for other games. Plus I know how to do this stuff.

I do this kind of stuff for a living. I work as a system administrator for a biotech firm in Silcon Valley. I live in Unix, NT/2000, and Novell enviroment. Like others here I like WC and I like helping people. I believe I do like 97% of my posting in the Tech Support forum.

Also, P1 need extra stuff in the config.sys so memory would be configure correctly.

Now just so I am not being misunderstood. I am in no way saying you can't help, (since I have no authority here anyway) just that there is an easier way of help someone when know which questions to ask and what it is they want to do. Keep It Simple.

I am keeping it simple. SUBSTing a drive is a hell of a lot simpler than trying to get CD drivers to work, especially if they're unnecessary for the task in question.

As for editing priv.cfg and rf.cfg... I've never done it that way :)

There is no need to go stuffing around with stuff that's unnecessary to get things done.

PS: What is a porpose? Is this anything like a porpoise?

Johnl12: is the Hercules card that you speak, the Hercules Fortissimo model, i heard a lot of good things for multimedia and Windows, but nothing about DOS.

Ghost,
I think so. I spend a lot of time at CL support newsgroup and I hear both the Hercules Fortissimo II and Hercules Game Theater XP cards as good replacement cards. I did a quick check and there is a DOS driver for them. It's "cwcdos.exe". This serves as SBEINIT.COM does for SBLive. I assume you'll need a SET BLASTER line with it. But I have no ideal of how good it is in pure DOS.

The good thing is Hercules does have it's own Tech Support Forum. http://forum.hercules.com/index.php3. This is were I found about the DOS driver. Here Hercules product line http://us.hercules.com/products/index.php3
There are links to online reviews.

Back