New outlander.solsector.net look

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Hey guys, I redesigned the front page so that it's more functional. I hope you like the new look. I haven't touched the colors yet though. I was thinking of making the color scheme more like it was before. What do you guys think? Do you think it's good the way it is? Should I make it like before? Or do you have an altogether different suggestion?

Ok, I've gone and adapted the original color scheme and I'm pretty happy with the results. I've also done a little more Jiggling of things around on the page.

What do you think? Any other suggestions? It will be a slow process but I intend to switch most of the pages over to this look eventually. But at least with the colors the same it won't be so bad if I don't get to them right away.

AD,

The forum layout looks really good. Very easy to navigate and I like the colours you are using. Just one little addition would help. Can you enhance the OUTLANDER header at the top of the page just slightly so it stands out more? I like the way you have it faded and aged like metal, but it needs to be seen a little bit more. Just a suggestion.
Otherwise very appealing and user friendly! Keep up the good work!

AD,

The forum layout looks really good. Very easy to navigate and I like the colours you are using. Just one little addition would help. Can you enhance the OUTLANDER header at the top of the page just slightly so it stands out more? I like the way you have it faded and aged like metal, but it needs to be seen a little bit more. Just a suggestion.
Otherwise very appealing and user friendly! Keep up the good work!

Thanks.

It really depends on what you mean by enhance though.

It's possible it's a monitor issue with contrast and brightness settings, or it's also possible it's a browser issue. I think it looks good and defined on my end but I only tested it on Safari, Firefox, and IE7. It's possible the PNG format doesn't like IE6 if that's what you are using. I could look into switching to JPG but I really don't know a lot about if that would mess up the transparency stuff. (I'm kind of learning all the HTML stuff as I go. Beyond a bit of basic code from highschool computer science class, I kind of just fumble around untill I get it right).

AD,

It may be a monitor issue, so dont worry about it. My computer is a bit out of sync with the latest technology so Im sure its probably my set up. I like the colours you are currently using and like I said before, the left side bar navigation is very user friendly. I really cant suggest any more improvements unless something comes to mind.
Great job!

I've rebuilt the articles index page like the front page. It should be a decent improvement. At least all the text lines up now that the list is a table.

I've rebuilt the articles index page like the front page. It should be a decent improvement. At least all the text lines up now that the list is a table.

I've been tinkering with a few more pages so the galleries' index page is redone now as well as the movie stills gallery (Which also sports a few new pictures though some are very crappy low res)

I will probably only get to the rest of the galleries as need be (as in If I have a lot to add to any particular one). I have a system down and it isn't hard to do but converting all the existing pages will be tedious and time consuming. Any new pages will be in the new format though.

I've slowly been getting more done in updating to pages to the new look. THings like the update archive index, and galleries index are all in the new look, as is the articles index.

I've also done the media page and the results are good, but I ran into a bit of a snag there so anyone with html and CSS experience has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. The page looks great in both Safari and Firefox so theoretically it should be fine in IE7 too but it's not. It's not awful but for some reason the featurebox settings I used aren't registering properly. It works fine without the streaming video applet but with them in, the box doesn't wrap properly if there isn't enough text to extend past the bottom of the video window. This throws all the videos out of alignment. The solution is to use an invisible <hr> tag but doing so makes all the feature boxes extend past the left hand dividing line. It's better than nothing but that's what you will see right now.

Any suggestions on keeping the boxes to the right of the line?

I've added a trailers page and have redone the FAQ in the new look.

I've started reorganizing the cast page but it's a little tedious and I get sidetracked easily.

It's cool that you added the trailers here which just makes it more convenient for those who visit the site. That special screening in LA is a surprise. What was the reasoning for that? Was it to tweak more things and get more audience feedback and perhaps change things for the final product? Or was it to show off to potential buyers since The Weinsteins are shopping it around? I'm glad it was well received and that the whole audience was into it.

It's cool that you added the trailers here which just makes it more convenient for those who visit the site. That special screening in LA is a surprise. What was the reasoning for that? Was it to tweak more things and get more audience feedback and perhaps change things for the final product? Or was it to show off to potential buyers since The Weinsteins are shopping it around? I'm glad it was well received and that the whole audience was into it.

I'm thinking it was to prove the movie's potential to the suits, whether they be the weinsteins or at another suitor. However that's just speculation on my part.

Also, Technically I had the trailers here before just that now they have their own page. But before, when trailer 1 hit we were getting so much traffic that we switched to the Youtube trailer for a bit. We did half a terabyte in three days on just a 5MB file! So I held back trailer two and embbeded the youtube version of that as well.

The youtube version of trailer 2's sound is out of sync though. Our versions fix that, and I think the end result is more effective. Jim and Sophia's interchange comes across more emotional to me, for example. I'm not entirely happy with the quality of my reencoded FLV though(I might play with it some more to see if I can fix it) of trailer 2 but it looks fine if you don't put it full screen. But the downloadable divx one should look decent full screen.

This movie looks awesome and your website looks pretty sharp too. Thanks for posting those trailers and I look forward to a US release.

I finished updating the cast page... also look for a few new photos under the new entry for Petra Prazak.

Here's a cool one I should be putting on the front page later:

Petra-Spaceport-Outlander.JPG

A couple of changes have been made since the last time I posted to this page. I've added a bunch of ads to the promo materials gallery. Also, there's now a separate page in the media gallery for clips and scenes from the movie, And if you haven't checked them out yet, why are you still here? Get to it! :)

Also there's a seperate media gallery page for TV spots. So far it's only inhabited by the six chinese spots but hopefully we'll have more soon.

I've added a new gallery page, as well as more posters and such to the promo material gallery. The FAQ has been updated. I usually try and keep the release schedule up to date but I've gone back and edited some of the other text.

Back