New motherboard problems

Michael_A

Spaceman
I hate Windows! Ok, that said here is my problem. I just istalled my new motherboard an Epox EP-7KXA with a AMD 800mhz Athlon now my Windows 98 will not boot. I can boot to windows in safe mode but in regular windows boot it locks up. CMOS found all my hardware etc. so I sure it is a windows problem. Anyone out there had similiar problems and fixed them please post. I ready to reinstall windows but if there is another way....

My, my... yes, I do believe you have a genuine problem here. Did this start happening immediately after you switched motherboards?

Yes, old motherboard did just fine (except not fast enough), new motherboard and cpu combo = no windows. It will boot in safe mode, and to dos prompt.

Here a newsgroup for your board.
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox

Did you get a new fan/heatsink with you cpu. I made the mistake of using my old fan/heatsink from my k2-3 450 cpu on my new Abit KT7-Raid w/T-bird 900mhz. Cooling was my bigest problem. Also, it is recommend to have a power supply of at least 300 watt. Do you have the latest via chipset?

[Edited by Johnl12 on 04-03-2001 at 03:20]

But if his Windows no longer boots, it's probably a lost cause. My Windows died when I replaced my motherboard. It's probably best to reinstall.

And VIA be damned.

Dooh! I'm so stupid

Went back in last night and tried agian to boot to windows. I figured out that I had a virus program running from autoexec.bat disabled that and boom was able to boot to windows. I did in fact reinstall Win98 just to be safe. Once I did that I had to reload the video and sound card drivers. All is well except that my Thrustmaster Attack Throttle wont work. Went to Thrustmaster tech support and they recommend I download (drumroll please) an updated driver! Or I could buy their Game Card for $30.00 and supposedly fix all my problems. Why not just pluck down the extra bucks for the USB Top Gun.

Well if anyone us interested my computer runs great now got all the bugs worked out after my motherboard transplant. I just have to make a boot disk to play WCIII again.

Back