New Game: Sins of a Solar Empire

Found this on my travels. Looks like a combination of Homeworld and Masters of Orion!

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

Edit

Just found some videos of it on gamespot

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sinsofasolarempire/index.html?tag=tabs;summary

Nice finding... I liked it... :D

EDIT: WOO-HOO, 2nd Lieutenant.

Hehe...

Hehehe it's great to see people still get excited about their CZ rank.

I know... I was like that when I made it to Captain :D

Bleh, another RTS game.

I suppose that my preference for turn-based strategy games is somewhat anachronistic, but, dammit, I want to be able to think about my moves without having to click pause (which often obscures part or all of the playing field so you can't plan very much).

Guess I'm heading to consoles in that genre, as well.

(said between sessions of the original Advance Wars :D )

I suppose that my preference for turn-based strategy games is somewhat anachronistic, but, dammit, I want to be able to think about my moves without having to click pause (which often obscures part or all of the playing field so you can't plan very much).

It wasn't so bad back in the day of the original C&C's, where the games were slow enough to do just that without pausing. But I agree, RTS as a genre has become worse than FPS games in terms of twitch.

I've seen some of the play-through videos posted on the game's forums. It looks interesting, but doesn't seem to have much depth; most of the twenty-minute-or-so chunks I watched centered around jumping around micromanaging various bases very very quickly, and combat barely seemed to warrant zooming in.

I guess it could be a fine game for folks looking for Age of Empires in space, but I was hoping for a succesor to Homeworld when it came to battle tactics.

I've pre-ordered this game through Stardock, played the Beta stages 2, 3 and 4.
Well, my impression is it's a good solid 4X RTS, which is resembles much to Hegemonia: Legion of Iron as well Conquest: Frontier Wars (especially the multiple star system battles).

Might be worth a buy.

I've finished downloading the game. It's approximately and hefty 800MB large (which expands to 1.4GB after installation).
Haven't played it yet, might do so soon.

I hope to post a short review of it soon.

(especially the multiple star system battles).

Aren't those relatively limited, though? I've only seen about three or four at one time, whereas Conquest could have up to a dozen. My understanding is that the original plan for the game was to have it use realistic physics - gravity slingshotting around planets and the like; but that it was scrapped early on. That would explain the system-centric focus of the game (it looks like Privateer 2 the RTS in terms of scale).

Yeah.. As posted over in the Sins Forum I have started fiddling around a bit with the game to make it a bit more wing commander-ish (stronger carriers and more fighters etc.), but for a fully fledged mod I would need more help, especially someone for the graphics. Well, we'll see how that turns out.

Bleh, another RTS game.

the latest Advance Wars is really good. Wanna play online?

Bleh, another RTS game.

I too prefer turn based

the latest Advance Wars is really good. Wanna play online?

At the moment, I don't have it, or any AW other than the original, between local availability, free time, and free money.

(And I don't know how to do wireless with the DS anyway. :p )

[edit]

Correction: I do know, now, I just can't, without stepping down security settings on my network. No thank you.

Unless you manage to shoot yourself in the foot somehow, Sins generally doesn't run quickly enough to overwhelm you at the normal speed. You actually don't need to pause it all that often. I find myself using the speed up function much more than the pause. The 'micromanagement' is less of an issue than it seems. First, you can actually get to all of the manufacturing screens from the sidebar - click on a planet over there and the manufacturing controls switch to that planet.

Back