New Computer

Cricket

Spaceman
I might get a new computer soon, but I don't really know what's good or not.

I just need to know what would be a good computer you could get for around 1500.

I recently bought a computer for about $1700, but it was in Australian $, which are worth a lot less than US$.
Anyway, I don't know much about what's actually good these days, but my Celeron 500mhz with 64mb RAM and an 8mb graphics card is perfectly adequate for me. Of course, I don't tend to buy all that many new games these days, so that's why it's good enough. Mind you, another 64 megs of RAM would be nice.

Well, that's about all I can say.

Depends on what you're going to use it for. You can probably get a PII 400 with 128MB RAM for much less than $1,500.

For that, you could probably get an Athlon 500, with 128 MB PC133 RAM, and a GeForce card. The rest of the varibles depends on where you decide to order it from.

Note to Intel Loyalists: Please don't argue that a PIII would be better. Just I'd rather support the competition, rather than let Intel control proc prices.

------------------

My advice is buy a computer shopper... that will give you a good idea to start. Personally I like ABS.

Personally I kinda like the Athlon. Those Transmeta chips look interesting as well. Granted they're no where as fast as Intel chips but their reduced cost might make it more feasible to have dual cpus in a desktop/tower ...

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Depends on what you're looking for out of it.

If you just want to use buisness apps, go with a K6-2 or Celeron based system.

Gaming for a good price...

I'd say an Athlon. Using a VIA Apollo KX133 chipset based motherboard. You can get a 600 Mhz Athlon for about $190 US. That and a good priced Motherboard will set you back about $300 total. That's about how much you'd get a similar PIIIE for. 128MB PC133 CAS2 SDRAM DIMM stick for about $109(price watch, you could also opt for 2 64MB DIMMs) to make use of the capabilities of the KX133.
That's about $420 for the basics. Thrown in say a 30 dollar CPU cooler(a bit extreme but better safe than sorry), and $80 dollars for a case + power supply. Brings you up to about $550 US after shipping.

Next up an EIDE Quantum Fireball KX 13.6 GB UDMA/66 for $160, Pioneer DVD-103S for $79(or a CDR for about $120),Guillemot 3D Prophet SDR 32MB for $200, Creative Labs SB Live! Value for $50, Generic Floppy Drive for $8, Generic speakers for about $20-30, Generic Keyboard and mouse for $10 total,USR Sportster v.90 Internal Modem for $55, CTX PR-711 monitor for $300, and Win98SE for $200, comes in at about $1632+shipping and handling, and gets you a rather NICE system.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything on the list. The Athlon board will give you a load of upgrade features in the future, compared to say a i810e based Celeron or 440BX based PIII board. Overall price/performance ratio wise you can't really beat the Ath(though Intel in it's haste and stupidity tries to compare the Celeron with an Athlon....jeez...).

------------------
"I hope you make it, Tarkington. Just don't pull the handle till after we've hit. Promise me."
"I'm behind you all the way CAG..."
-Captain Jacob Lee "Coolhand" Grafton, and Lieutenant Robert "Toad" Tarkington, Final Flight

Okay... the thing that bothers me about my computer is that it freezes if I play anything better then Worms 2 for more then about 40 minutes. So pretty much I just want a computer that won't freeze, can write, and can play games.

I can't go to a store because there isn't one anywhere near me, and I'll have to order my computer. I was thinking of getting a 300mhz one but I'm not sure if that'll be any good.

Oh yeah, and I meant 1500 Canadian.

I think that a 300mhz is a bit of a waste of money, since they are fairly old. It's better to aim somewhere around the 500mhz mark.

Depending on your needs...you can cross off the monitor, so that the totaly price comes down to 1800CAN.

Currently you can get up to 700 Mhz processors for dirt cheap(not a whole lot more than 300Mhz.....) so you really shouldn't worry about clockspeed, and get at least a 600 which should last you a year or two.

Cricket, you play WORMS 2?? I love that game. After I beat that, I had to go out and get Armageddon. It's fun beating my friend who plays it a lot more than I do.

My P166 runs both games really well. It lags a wee bit on Prophecy sometimes, a problem I intend to cure as soon as funds accumulate past my need to invest in stocks.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The locking up may be a cooling problem either on your CPU, in your enire case or your video cards (it is possible for other cards to overheat but video cards are more likely...)

My suggestion is to build your own computer... It's alot cheaper

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Okay, so I should try and get something above 500mhz. I think I might be able to do that.

Worms 2's a fun game. Its the only game any of my freinds actually like to play. Too bad I suck at it though.

I'd build a computer if I knew how...

Well, Cricket, it's really simple. Get some send from your backyard, melt it in the oven so it forms little chips. Get a chisel and carve tiny little grooves in the chips, and then put some circuits on top. And there you have a processor
smile.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Actually, building a computer isn't all that hard, since all the components tend to come with installation manuals.

Yeah but you have to be carefull to put things in the right order. Putting slave drives to other drives, in particular.

Cricket, I'm a Worms expert. Need some tips?
I know a lot of ways to make weapons to crazy things. Strategy has a lot to do with Worms, but that's part of the reason it's fun. The other main part is it's funny as hell.

I used to have a cooling problem. My power supply fan was on the fritz so my casing was just heating up like a frying pan. You actually had to give the fan a push to get it going. So I took off the cover and now my CPU runs 11 degrees cooler!

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Quarto: Sounds like a plan... sort of.

Death's Head: Most of the time in Worms I just make stupid mistakes.

I'll do something so my grenade'll bounce back to me, or I'll shoot a mortar straight up and not realize it, or I'll drop off my ninja rope into the water or do some other really dumb move.

It's okay though, since most of my freinds try and kill my worms so it looks cool (like with the Uzi or pistol) and end up missing or something.

In worms whoever screws up the least wins, but everyone screws up a hell of a lot.

At least that's the way it works with the people I play with. One computer can ussually whoop all of us
frown.gif

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Oh, sorry. *smiles*

The pistol is useless in most cases. try this sometime, blowtorch your budies worm off the landscape edge, into the water if possible. Every time you hit them, it's 15 damage.

How much energy do you have your worms starting at?

Don't use the mortar unless you have to. be above the worm you are shooting at if you can. Note, the bomblets come down from where ever you hit.

Ever use the baseball bat? If two worms are one a lower piece of landscape, you can bat the other one into the water, usually making it skip off the water several times before it sinks.

Ninja rope-practice, practice. I remember using the rope on crazy crate in Armageddon, that was tough. You do know how to use the repeat swing, right?

Did you know the homing missile works under water?

Listen to me and I will have you beating your friends butts almost every time soon.

I'm going to have to look for Worms. Sounds like fun
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG, and hating it.

That's probably because it's one of the most fun games the common man can buy. True many think of it as just a game where you blow each other up, but there's more to it, at least if you do the missions, and training, or if you play with against the puter or over the net using a strategy.

Using those goofy weapons alone is part of the fun. Where else can you lauch a super sheep that flies around like super man with a cape that is capable of using snorkeling gear and swimming under water to surprise the hell out of your "you'll never get me here" apponent?

You get crate drops for health, weapons and in Armageddon, UTILITIES! There are dozens of weapons and many ways to use them. Wind, land sink rates, and downloadable soundbanks(you can hear characters like the simpsons or gumby or yoda, or south park, there are dozens of banks to choose from), all contribute to a crazy way to have a lot of fun.

You can find out more by going to http://worms.team17.com

Back