Need some suggestions for a new video card

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I'm almost 100% certain the crashing issues I've had with my computer are video card related. I've started running into weird artifacts on my monitor that don't extend to the monitor's settings menu.
So I'm looking for a new nVidia based, video card in the 580 GTX range, mainly because I've got an ASUS 580 GTX right now but I can't really find those anymore. Also a really important factor is getting one that's as small as possible, my ASUS barely fits in my case as it is, and I can't really do SLI or liquid cooling for the same reasons.

Yes, the GT and GTX series are often a bit bigger. When I built a computer for my brother some time ago I had to use a saw and a file on the case to make the video card fit. I think they should stop building video cards that are more than 25cm long. Those often have that problem.

But... crashes could also be related to the power source. Did you try changing that already? New video cards use a lot of power.

I'll check into the RMA with Asus, but I'll have to wait until my brother gets back from vacation to ask him. He knows when we bought all this stuff.
I have started looking into other new cards and I realized one thing. At the price point that I have found other 580 GTX cards at, I could pick up a 600 series card and most of the ones I've seen are smaller than my 580. Even other 580s out there seem to be smaller, my Asus is 11.5 in. long according to the specs on Newegg.

RMA has nothing to do with the store you bought it, since it is factory warranty; you just go to Asus directly, and supply them with the part- and serial numbers. If you are not sure how apply for an RMA, go to the technical support section and contact online support in order to get the option to file an RMA request.

Still need to find the receipt to do the RMA, even though it's probably under a year old...

Still need to find the receipt to do the RMA, even though it's probably under a year old...
Actually, this depends on the manufactors warranty standards, if the item's manufacturing date is within the warranty (I believe ASUS gives 3 to 5 years on their cards), just fill out the form on the site and they will confirm your warranty claim. Now, if the products manufacturing date is outside the normal warranty, but you purchased it way after, then you will need the receipt. Also, registering your product with the warranty forms that come with it makes this process easier.

Most end users do not know this, and just throw their stuff away.

I'm pretty sure I sent in all the registration forms but I don't have the box the card came in, which probably won't matter, but that means I have to find all the model and serial number information one the card somewhere. Also I took a look at the Asus website today to try and find the department I needed and it was a little daunting, so I'm going to give it up till tomorrow and I can just try and track it down with the serial number in hand.

Back