Need help with WC3 (two questions)

UCFKevin

Rear Admiral
Howdy, folks.

I've had a hankerin' for killing some Kilrathi's, but sadly, I just cannot get WC3 to work.

I have a Creative Labs Audigy Gamer soundcard. Previously, I had an Aureal Vortex SQ2500 card, and the game worked fabulously, no problems at all.

However, with my Audigy card, it won't work at all. I really just do not understand it.

Before, with the Vortex, I could run WC3 from Windows 98, I think. If not, I just ran the computer in full DOS mode and it worked fine. However, now it just locks up when I type in WC3 and those dots appear. It usually locks up in the fifth dot or so.

ONE time, just once, it installed and everything worked flawlessly but then I got to the main screen at the beginning and didn't have my joystick plugged in, and for some reason, the keyboard wouldn't work (my mouse isn't DOS friendly).

So that's my first problem. Getting WC3 to run.

My second question is, what kind of joystick do you guys use? I used to use my trusty Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital (the original one) and it worked perfectly. But now, for some odd reason, my computer doesn't detect it anymore, so I'm looking to buy a new one, but most of them only work in Windows98 and are USB connection, only. My BIOS does have a "enable USB in DOS mode" option, but I dunno if that'll work. Do any of you have a USB joystick that works for WC3? If so, what is it? I'm looking at the Thrustmaster Top Gun AFterburner or Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2.

So that's my second problem. Finding a joystick that'll work.

Can anyone help me out? I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Well...

Sadly, I can't even get to that point anymore.

I just don't understand it. It worked before, I'm PRETTY sure, while running Windows 98. I'm almost positive.

Any idears?

Ok, let's see...

1.) Do you have the latest drivers for your new soundcard? If not go to http://www.creative.com

2.) Do you have the drivers for your previous soundcard uninstalled/removed? Previous drivers maybe conflicting with your new card. Also, Since your new and old cards are made by different companies they use different drivers and windows maybe pointing the new soundcard to use the other cards drivers.

3.)If your running in full DOS mode (not running DOS through windows) you may need to remove some commands from your autoexe.bat/config.sys files that the souncard DOS install program may have entered if the soundcard has DOS support. Did your old card have DOS support?
And does your new card have DOS support?

Or if still fails delete the game from your hard drive and do a fresh install (or install to a different directory)

1) Don't think so, but would that matter, since it's DOS based? I'll do it anyway, just for poops and giggles.

2. Yup. Reinstalled Windows a while back to make absolutely sure there was no trace of any old drivers.

3. Yes, the old card did have DOS support, and so does my new one. When I play other old school games like Day of the Tentacle, it plays the music but not the speech for some reason. I dunno. The settings may be messed up somehow.

Can any of you guys get WC3 to work from Windows 98 at all? If so, how?

When I did (SOOOOO long ago now, and probably on a Win95-computer), I just made a shortcut on the desktop and told it not to detect Windows. Worked just fine at the time.

Back