Need help with Saitek HOTAS setup

HurriKane

Spaceman
Hello everyone.

I've been playing my copies of Kilrathi Saga and Price of Freedom, but wanted to use the Saitek x52 and the rudder pedals in the game. The stick works fine, but for some reason I can't use the rudder pedals! The whole setup is usb. There is also a twist function on the stick, which I think is overriding the the rudder pedals. Can anyone help me so I can figure out a way to play with my whole setup? I appreciate it.

K

Well, Wing Commander IV does not support rudder pedals IIRC, so I fear that is a no-go, but there might be a possibility:

For my Logitech G940 there is a profiler software that allows you to assign keyboard commands to buttons or axis of the stick. If there is a similar software for your x52 you could use that to assign the roll keys to your pedals.

Aginor hit it in one - the profiler software should be able to assign which axis is reported as rudder. If that doesn't make it work you could try assigning keystrokes to the twist function, and see if that will put the pedals through as the rudder control. Worst case, mapping the roll keys to the pedals (you would have to define a range of the axis to the key, and I think there may be an option between "pass the keystroke as long as the axis is within this range" and "pass the keystroke only while there is motion within this range".

It's been a while since I did something like this, never owned the pedals, and I don't have access to my gear at the moment. Sorry for not being able to provide more detailed help.

I'm also not seeing anything on a quick Google search indicating the twist function overriding pedal function, so you may have a configuration problem at a lower level. Do the pedals show up and test properly in the control panel?

WC3/4 do not have rudder support. I don't think there is a way to trick them either into using them. I remember being really annoyed by that, but the pedals were lifesavers in WCP/SO.

WC3/4 do not have rudder support. I don't think there is a way to trick them either into using them. I remember being really annoyed by that, but the pedals were lifesavers in WCP/SO.

This isn't true. The Win95 patch for WC4 adds throttle and rudder support. (See the readme from Origin included in the patch zip itself). Kilrathi saga was also advertized originally with one of it's big new features being throttle and rudder support. It says so right in the KS trailer that you can watch in holovids.

This isn't true. The Win95 patch for WC4 adds throttle and rudder support. (See the readme from Origin included in the patch zip itself). Kilrathi saga was also advertized originally with one of it's big new features being throttle and rudder support. It says so right in the KS trailer that you can watch in holovids.

Hmmm my bad. Maybe I was thinking of the original DOS releases.

Good to know if I can get my TM setup up and running again I can use them in those versions.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm using the old drivers and software now and still no luck. I can't believe there is no way to edit a file inside the games to remap buttons and such. I hate not playing the WING COMMANDER games without the whole setup. I'm gonna still keep trying to figure it out, but meanwhile I'll try looking on ebay for the old Thrustmaster setups.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm using the old drivers and software now and still no luck. I can't believe there is no way to edit a file inside the games to remap buttons and such. I hate not playing the WING COMMANDER games without the whole setup. I'm gonna still keep trying to figure it out, but meanwhile I'll try looking on ebay for the old Thrustmaster setups.

Dosbox has some of it's own remaping abilities. Does thrustmaster have their own utility? I've had pretty good success with remaping logitech sticks for WC games even when using dosbox. But Logitech has their own brand specific utility for that. I even have P2 working great with a gamepad with minimal use of the keyboard. But I don't have a thrustmaster rudder/peddal setup to test for you.

Thrustmaster sticks had software/drivers called "Thrustware", CC&C or loaders. It was used to load a stickset to the joystick and throttle that would instruct the different buttons, hats and switches what to do.

Kreg and I were actually looking for this stuff a few weeks back. He got a TM F-16 FLCS and F-16 TQS set of sticks. We found a program called FoxTwo Pro that is a now freeware app that helps in creating sticksets.

You can find the drivers for older TM sticks at Driverscollection.com.

Back