Need help with privateer!!!!

SgtRambo

Spaceman
I try playing privateer after installing it but it didnt work. I also try make a boot disk but that didnt work either. Can anyone help me

We'll need more specifics. What happens when it "didn't work"? What did you put on the boot disk?

alright i got the game to work, but without no sound or the mouse. plus i think i did a crappy job on the boot disk.
config.sys
dos=high,umb,noauto
buffers=40
device=c:\windows\himem.sys/testmem
redface.gif
ff
device=C:\windows\emm386.exe ram
files=25

Autoexec.bat
@Echo off
set path=c:\windows;C:\windows\command
Lh C:\windows\asp4dos.com
set blaster=a220 17 d3 t4
i got aoutoexec.bat from some one else post

This is from my system
config.sys
REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT

[common]
dos=high,umb
buffers=40
device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem
redface.gif
ff
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE noems

rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

autoexec.bat
C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\SCAN.EXE C:\
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
@Echo off

REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT

path C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

REM Environment Settings For McAfee VirusScan
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1
rem - By Windows Setup - mscdex.exe /d:IDECD000 /L:M

Yeah with the config.sys i got that from sysedit and i didnt know what to put for autoexec.bat so i got it from some one else post. It well be cool if some one could help me with the sound and the mouse problem, and help make my boot disk a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, actually, your config files look fairly good. There are some improvements to be made, however:

CONFIG.SYS:

DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
BUFFERSHIGH=25
FILESHIGH=25

For Autoexec.Bat, we'll need to see a copy of your DosStart.bat file, which you'll find in your C:\Windows directory.

Are you trying to play the game from the CD or the hard drive? As things are currently setup, your CD drive is inaccessible, so I take it you've already followed the directions found in other threads for setting up the game to be played from the HD.

ok know i got the sound and the mouse to work. By the way its a disk not a cd so its already on the hard drive.

The way i got sound was double click on my computer, open C:drive, then opening dosboot.

Then there was a wordpad name dosboot, and i open that, then it said to put a disk in and type:

sys A:
copy c:\dosboot a:\

I did that and edit autoexec.bat, It look like some thing like this.

¦SET PROMPT=$p$g
¦SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
¦SET TMP=C:\windows\TEMP
¦
¦Rem Configure the sound card
¦c:
¦cd \dosboot
¦SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
¦RIPUTIL riptide.hex /A220 /I5 /D1 /RI10 /unmute
¦
¦cd \windows
¦
¦REM to enable ZIP support in DOS:
¦REM 1) cd C:\IOMEGA
¦REM 2) run IOMEGA.EXE
¦REM 3) then uncomment the following line
¦REM C:\IOMEGA\GUEST.EXE
¦
¦REM for DOS Networking including most networked games,
¦REM read the file IPX.BAT and then uncomment the following
¦REM CALL C:\DOSBOOT\IPX.BAT

There was a lot of Junk, so i just earse the suff i didnt need and turn it in too..

set mouse=c:\imouse
c:\imouse\imouse

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
RIPUTIL riptide.hex /A220 /I5 /D1 /RI10 /unmute

I didnt know what to put down for music for the game so i just put soundblaster and it on a 5 something i think.
Know I got my mouse and my sound card to work, if i had to do this with the sound, what about my graphic card.

Anyways i got a couple of questions.

1) you know when you press cd privater it change C:\ to C:\privater\; well how do i get back to just C:\

2)Is there any way i can turn down the sound for privateer? Because the game plays it at full blasted and Its messing my speakers up.

3)Is there any way i can get that Xpack set privateer, well i just have disk and i heard that they only have it for cd.

4)how long does it take to beat privateer?

5)you know the infomation above? If i make a mistake let me know please!!!

6)What was that green alien pod in the begining of the game, preview, open part of the game???

7)and is there any way i can get the voice pack, theres no where to buy them.

To change directory;

c:\PRIVATER>cd..

c:\

that's all you do.

The alien comes back later in the game, when you are close to the end, I think. Length of the game depends on how good a pilot you are, and if you're willing to adapt your tactics according to your enemy.

Best of Luck-

Back