need help on editing

TurboTim07

Rear Admiral
Hi! im planning a wing commander mod for SWGB(not sure if it'll ever happen though) but i need help. i took screenshots to use kinda for copy and paste over the units but they're 456 colors. does anyone know how to change the palette to a 256 color palette so that i can use them for SWGB? if you can help me i'd be very thankful.

Laterz,
Turbo Tim

how you do the screenshoots?. You say that there are 456 colors? I never saw a palette like this because palettes depend itself first if they are indexed or not indexed.
A indexed palette have 256 colors called 8 bit palette where each color is stored on 1 byte (8 bits), next you can have not indexed palettes, 16 or 32 bits, called "True color palettes" where each color is stored in 16/32 bits respectively those palettes give you 16.000 or 2.000.000 (rounded values)...
What file image type you are getting?

TanGO

i dunno if it's 456 or not. i take screenshots from SO using Print Screen. then i try to use it in MPS for AOK(usin it to make my SWGB mod) and it says color count is too high or somethin like that. the file image types are bitmaps(BMPs) and i save them as bmps cuz that's what i have to use to replace the SWGB graphics

OK, then you can use Adobe Photoshop, from the menu select Image/Mode/Indexed Color.
At that point use could simply convert them to 256 colores leaving to photoshop hands the color distribution selection or to use a custom palette if you need to all files the same palette, if this is the case let me know and I will say the better way.

TanGO

im not sure if i need them all the same palette.... i probably do considering that it's SWGB im working with.

Back