need help for Privateer1, i have ME

bahumat222

Spaceman
any help out there? i tried downloading a patch for ME to be able to load dos but i didnt have too much luck. i dont know a whole lot about autoexec.bat and config.sys so ill need some help. i would give anything to be able to play this again. i have a hewlett packard PIII-850 256MB RAM with windowsME.

Before we can help you first check your PC and see if it's has a sound card or sound chip. If it's has a sound chip it would be a was of time since sound chips usually do not have DOS drivers. P1 must be played in DOS.

my computer has an onboard audio codec soundcard. i have a soundblaster live sound card that i can install and then shut down the onboard from the bios screen if this helps. my problem is that i cant even get privateer to run. i read somewhere that winME dosnt have use the autoexec and config to start because it lacks dos. both of these files are empty on my computer. please help!!

That "onboard audio codec" won't work in DOS. The SBLive card would be a better choice since it does have DOS drivers. WinME does not support DOS so you'll need to create "Win9x/ME Startup Disk". We would then replace it's autoexec.bat and config.sys with one that could play P1.

sorry ive been away awhile but im back! thanks for the info about the boot disk thing. so where do we go from here? i can make a ME disk really easy but you said we would have to replace the autoexec and config files to get it to run Privateer. can you list the contents of these two files? and is there anything else to do after i replace the winME bootdisk files with the new ones? keep working with me on this guys as i will make it worth anyones while if i can get this running!!

Originally posted by bahumat222
need help for Privateer1, i have ME

What U need help for is ME--DUMP it, and upgrade to Win 98 (tha's right: I said "up"grade to 98). ME sucks beyond belief. Run 98 and you'll be able to do Privateer just fine.

(My sister's even now checking with Compaq to see if she can return her new PC w/ Win ME, and get them to sub Win 98 instead. She shoulda listened to me B4 she took delivery...)

That's very helpful, Preacher... what happens if he does happen to like WinME, hmm? ;)

bahumat, I suggest posting what's in your system files, tell us what problems you get when you try to play Privateer, and hopefully an expert will be able to help you out.

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's very helpful, Preacher... what happens if he does happen to like WinME, hmm? ;)

Well, I guess it's "SOL", then;)

More seriously, though, 2 possibilities spring to mind:

1) Setup his machine to dual boot to Win ME and another version of Windows (Win 9x), or perhaps even old DOS, and then he'll be able to play Priv1 to his heart's content, or

2) "Hurry up and wait". Prob's with older DOS games & Win ME can be notoriously nasty & difficult to work around, so he may have to wait quite a while to get an answer that works for his situation.

(Bahumat22: If you need help setting up a dual boot system, lemme know--I'm an old hand at that, and can help you thru it)

hey preacher, man i guess you can read my mind. i have a win98 CD that i can install for dual boot. the only problem is that i am clueless on how to go about doing that. so you said you could help me out? you can also reach me at bahumat222@yahoo.com thanks preacher!

hey preacher, man i guess you can read my mind. i have a win98 CD that i can install for dual boot. the only problem is that i am clueless on how to go about doing that. so you said you could help me out? you can also reach me at bahumat222@yahoo.com thanks preacher!

First, I be needin' some info 'bout your system:

1) Is it Dell, Compaq, etc., or did you build it yourself?
2) If bought from a Mfr, it probably has just the one hard disk. If it's "homebuilt" (or if you've been messing around under the hood, you naughty boy), it may have more than one HDD (hard disk drive).How many hard drives? How big is the hard disk(s)? How much free space on it?.
3) How are they configured, if more than one: Primary/Secondary channels? Master/Slave arrangements?
4) Finally, is yer W98 CD a "full" version (hopefully, as it'd make things easier), or is it the "upgrade" version, or aren't you sure which?...

Get me this info, and we can begin after that :cool:

heya preacher, well its a hewlett packard store bought. it has only one hard drive inside consisting of 30gigs. i have another hard drive(60gigs) that i havn't put in yet, haven't really needed too! lastly i have a full win98 CD.

heya preacher, well its a hewlett packard store bought. it has only one hard drive inside consisting of 30gigs. i have another hard drive(60gigs) that i havn't put in yet, haven't really needed too! lastly i have a full win98 CD.

Sorry, I forgot two last bits of info I need from ya, and a chunk of advice to give you before we proceed:
==================================

1) Do you really WANT to keep Win ME on your system, or do you find it to be as sucky as it actually, in fact, IS?...

(If yer answer to the above is "NO", then just get rid of ME & install W98--problem solved!--and as an added bonus, you can save a lot of time & some money, too...

If yer answer to the above is "YES" , I'll then reply with the appropriate steps to take...)

2) You mentioned this box was store bought. How long ago did you buy it?...Is the warranty still active on it?...

If so, you may be screwed, because adding another OS (as in the dual boot scenario we're contemplating here) or changing the existing OS (if you were to get rid of ME, & install W98 instead) may very well void the warranty.

So, here's a chunk of advice chunk to you:

Assess your warranty situation. Call HP if you need to, but get the lowdown on the warranty for your system. If the warranty's already run out--or if you don't CARE, then by all means we'll go ahead. In any event, plz post here the requested info, and we'll see where we stand & go from there.

the only real reason i wanted to hold onto winME is just for the fact that it came with some nifty system recovery CD's that help undo the damages winME comes up with every so often. if for some ungodly reason, i want to go back to winME after i dump it and go with win98, can i? if so then i might as well go the win98 route huh? well do i just format my C drive and then pop in my 98 disk? anything else i should know besides the fact that i can throw my headache medicine away, before doing this?

anything else i should know besides the fact that i can throw my headache medicine away, before doing this?

Well, there's some stuff I need to know, still... Namely, ya need to look into, and tell me, what the deal is on the warranty situation on your system (question 2 in my last post).

...No matter which way you go (dual boot or trash WinME in favor of W98), you could end up voiding the warranty, which would leave you hosed, dig?... If it's still valid (which I suspect it is), you need to contact HP & ask 'em whether or not these OS fiddlings we're contemplating would void it. They probably will, but it's worth a try to ask (Unless, of course, you don't give a rip about the warranty, as I'd asked in the last post...).

Whatever; just look into this & lemme know the deal, OK?... :cool:

well to tell you the truth, i dont care about the warranty. if something goes wrong, then ill handle it. i do know my way around inside, just not around the startup procedures as in autoexec.bat and config.sys. ive already opened her up and put a voodoo5, more memory, and a dvd-rom. trust me preacher, IM READY! i wanna play some privateer!!!!! hook me up, im drooling over here!

just wanted all of you to know that i no longer use winME!! im now a very happy win98 user. *thank you, thank you*:D anyways, after i install all of the needed software that i had lost during the change over, im going to work on my privateer game and see if it will run.

well to tell you the truth, i dont care about the warranty. if something goes wrong, then ill handle it. i do know my way around inside, just not around the startup procedures as in autoexec.bat and config.sys. ive already opened her up and put a voodoo5, more memory, and a dvd-rom. trust me preacher, IM READY! i wanna play some privateer!!!!! hook me up, im drooling over here!

just wanted all of you to know that i no longer use winME!! im now a very happy win98 user. *thank you, thank you* anyways, after i install all of the needed software that i had lost during the change over, im going to work on my privateer game and see if it will run.

...Sounds like you don't need my help anymore ::sniff::.

On the other hand, I congratulate you on your choice to chuck the crappy, and get on with the better, OS for your system. I wish you the best with your Privateering.

BTW-- System backup/restore software of the type you spoke of can be had separately, and it's more powerful than that included w/ WinME It's called "GoBack" (from Roxio), and it's currently in version 3. I have version 2, and got it for ~$30, if I recall. Version 3 don't add a whole lot, from what I read on the box, so you can prob'ly pickup v2 for a song somewhere (since it's now an "old" version)

:)

damm! i switch over to 98 and still cant play:( !! ok heres what my boot disk has so far...

autoexec.bat

@echo off
set path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command
set tmp=c:\windows\temp
set temp=c:\windows\temp
set prompt= $p$g
rem loadhigh=c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:sscd000
loadhigh=c:\msmouse\mouse.exe
set comspec=c:\windows\command.com
echo=on
c:

config.sys

devicehigh=himem.sys
devicehigh=emm386.exe 16384 d=64 frame=e000 /i=b000-b7ff ram
dos=high,umb
stacks=18256
fileshigh=50
buffershigh=35
rem devicehigh=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001
shell=c:\windows\command.com c:\windows /p
lastdrive=f

when i use this boot disk it tells me i have a stacks error and it will use the default. also i run mem after i get the prompt and i have a largest executable program size of 598K (612,672bytes). the thing is, when i run priv.exe the cursor just moves to the next line and halts- nothing happens! ive copied the priv.tre and rf.tre to the privater directory whereas i now dont need to load up my cd-rom correct? any ideas out there???

Back