NC soft Pulls funding for WC vets new game

Jatarri

Spaceman
Spacetime Studios was made of a lot of people from the wing commander games and a year ago got funding from ncsoft to make a new space mmo. Now it looks like that teh funding is pulled and game canceled for now. The people at space time does say they will look at other publishers for the ip. Personal I like the name of the game and the idea around it. here is what the blog said from Spacetime website

A New Beginning

January 7th, 2008

We know it's not the norm but at Spacetime Studios we've always been about communicating when we can. For two years this has been in good times but we want to put out a message to the community before the rumors start.

Our project has been cancelled by the current publisher. Regardless of how you look at it, we won’t be entering production in the immediate future, so we are retrenching and unfortunately had to let 12 folks go.

The cancelled game was our primary project and we have a complete MMO engine w/ networking infrastructure, tools suite, and next-gen rendering engine. The company remains extremely committed to the IP and once all mutual obligations have been completed between the publisher and ourselves we intend to explore every possible avenue to see that our team’s collective vision come to fruition.

We want to stress that there are no bad feelings with NCSoft. There is a tremendous amount of mutual respect between our companies. They have conducted themselves with honor and integrity, and we would work with them again in an instant.

We are still here, stable and strong, and running a little bit lighter while we figure out our next move. What does not kill us makes us stronger said the philosopher Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche. That may be true, but it isn’t pleasant. Wish us luck and good fortune.

Good luck guys

Here is hoping your dreams come true and mine for a space mmo to be proud of

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/index.html

Sad news. As much as MMOs may not be my cup of tea in general (seeing a Kilrathi go "I pwnzor you n00bletz!" would probably send me into a coma), the space combat genre could use this kind of experimentation, going into new territories and trying to capture a larger audience, to try and breathe some life back into it... and as I understand it NCsoft is a big MMO publisher.

Nothing worse than seeing good people get shut down before they can get their dues. I'd've liked to have seen what the end result was...

You can tell who doesn't have Arena in this thread! :)

I admit I don't have it either just didn't seem right to me . Don't get me wrong looks like a good game but wing commander is like when you are on a ship talking, picking your wing man ,ships and weapons and fighting in a cockpit not showing your ship in 3rd person.

Thanks god for standoff and WC saga

To comment on the original post - this is a crying shame. The Spacetime team reads like a who's who of my childhood heroes -- asommers, Chris Douglas, Jake Rodgers, Ron Kerwin, Cinco Barnes... I sincerely hope they can find a new publisher -- I'll certainly buy anything they end up selling!

yeah, going through some of the stuff they've released so far about the project, it really does look like we are missing out!

Back