Naval Sims

My favourite are: Silent service 1 and 2, Seawolf, Aces of the deep, Sub command, Destroyer command.

My absolute favorite has to be Red Storm Rising. For some reason, I can't get into any other naval combat sim. Don't know why.

Sub Command is about the only thing I've played in recent years, and 688(I) before it. I used to play a little bit of Harpoon, and a LOT of Red Storm Rising in the '89 timeframe or whenever it was that it came out. (Too bad it will only run in real DOS!) Back a couple of years from that, I played Strike Fleet on my Apple II.

Red Storm Rising will run using DosBox. No special tricks required, either. F-117 runs as well, but that isn't so much of a sim as an arcady-stealth bomber game.

Diverging a bit from the Naval sims, the only hardcore sim I play now is IL-2 Sturmovik. There's not much that beats cannon fire, flak, and rockets on the Eastern Front.

One of my personal favorites is the very old Carriers at War and Carriers at War 2. Great game and it let you even model your own ships so you can watch them get bombed and torped sidescrolling style...

I always found Victory at Sea to be a little to complex and micromanagy for me...

Patton said:
Red Storm Rising will run using DosBox. No special tricks required, either. F-117 runs as well, but that isn't so much of a sim as an arcady-stealth bomber game.

Diverging a bit from the Naval sims, the only hardcore sim I play now is IL-2 Sturmovik. There's not much that beats cannon fire, flak, and rockets on the Eastern Front.

Cool! I did not know that. WC is the only thing I've played on my PC since I discovered DosBox!

I have a Windows version of Harpoon with the EC2000 scenario pack which is a lot of fun. Also, Jane's Fleet Command was pretty cool. And if they ever get that 'next generation' Harpoon game out, it'll be awesome.

Not to be forgotten, though, are a couple of sail games: Wooden Ships and Iron men was fun, and Age of Sail was excellent.

I liked PTO and PTO2 for Super Nintendo. I also had PTO 2 for my PC, but it was much better on SNES. Seemed much more streamlined, easier to control, plus you could actually fight the engagements rather than issue commands and just watch 'em duke it out.

i would like to get into some. i played a few in my younger days, such as ssn by tom clancy. man, that was cool. my friend told me if you hit the right key, you could use the deck gun. what a liar.

long time ago, i tried the fleet command demo. i didnt understand a thing about it. i really need to find some games that i played when i was young and stupid.

Back