Naval Base

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
This thread is being started to publically unveil the latest work of the WC Saga.

This next one is the Naval Base, also well known as Blackmane Base from Wing Commander 3.

These series of installations serve in Wing Commander universe as forward command posts and system HQs for Confed sector forces. Being able to hold over 100 combat spacecraft, they also have docking mounts for a dozen capital ships. Without any weaponry, their main defense comes from their fighters and a battery of laser turret mines. Notable bases are in Blackmane, Vega, Venice, Vespus, and Proxima.

Classification Naval Base
Length 2500 m
Tonnage 650,000 tons
Phase Shields 4000 cm
Armor 1000 cm
Crew 6000
Spacecraft 100
Armament N/A

blackmane_1.jpg

blackmane_4.jpg

blackmane_3.jpg

blackmane_7.jpg

Here are the pictures. It should be noted that the base model and textures are the real model, and what it looks like is exactly what you’ll see in WC Saga.

Credits are as follows: model by Lars ‘gevatter’ Laufer, textures by Anton ‘Tolwyn’ Romanyuk, final touches and model conversion by Michael ‘Starman’ Pretli.

Damn good ;)

While I see all those hanger bays, I'm starting to wonder a few things...

1. Will we take of from carriers and/or starbases or will we spawn in space?
2. Will we be able to land on them or will the mission end if we press a key?

The Fly said:
Damn good ;)

While I see all those hanger bays, I'm starting to wonder a few things...

1. Will we take of from carriers and/or starbases or will we spawn in space?
2. Will we be able to land on them or will the mission end if we press a key?

1. well, you will take of from carriers and/or starbases AND will spawn in space
2. right now landing on carriers is possible... or the mission will end once you reach an autopilot buoy

Impressive! I like it a lot...you guys wouldn't be so kind as to "share" your runway textures would you? I've been working on some capital ships and I'd like to do a visible hangar...

Maj.Striker said:
Impressive! I like it a lot...you guys wouldn't be so kind as to "share" your runway textures would you? I've been working on some capital ships and I'd like to do a visible hangar...

simply download the Ranger-class from the WC3D website

never cease to amaze guys...although I don't understand how capships can dock directly to the station...the shape of it makes it look like it would interesting to say the least...

I imagine cap ships would dock perpendicular to the length of the station, both above and below it. Based on the measurements provided, that would easily allow 12 smaller ships to dock, although it would be a little tight with multiple Confederation or Lexington-class carriers, or with some of the other wider cap ships.

Edit: I love the design, BTW.

I can see that red duke just had a tough time imagining because there are no obvious docking spots (ie docking collars, etc)

Would love to see one of these with a few ships hooked up or just nearby...

Back