myJEMM

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
I've used that myjemm.exe utility to run Priv1 and RF in my Windows 98 and it ran perfectly. yay!

Readme.txt says something about the program being able to run Armada also. Well it didn't work for me, even after I figured out that the correct command line is "myjemm armada.exe". Sounds silly at first, but the software is pre-programmed for Privateer, which runs by just entering "myjemm" or "myjemm r", for Righteous fire.

Originally posted by Starkey
Readme.txt says something about the program being able to run Armada also. Well it didn't work for me, even after I figured out that the correct command line is "myjemm armada.exe". Sounds silly at first, but the software is pre-programmed for Privateer, which runs by just entering "myjemm" or "myjemm r", for Righteous fire.

The readme actually says it *may* be able to run Armada and games with the same version of JEMM... this is somewhat faulty as Armada doesn't use the same version of JEMM as privateer does. It's not a huge suprise that it doesn't work.

Re: Re: myJEMM

*may* is right. my fault.

Anyway, as soon as that guy's page is up I'll read his FAQ and then I'll contact him so maybe he can develop something for Armada too.

Or maybe our own wizard HCl can do some tweaking with that software.

In any case, this is very good news. Making Privateer run in Windows (and even in DOS) is among the top ten FAQ in the Tech Support Forum.

I wasn't kidding about just upgrading to XP this past week. Although I can dual boot back into 98, it's just painful that one of the definining holy grail goals of the WC community happens.. and does so for an OS I've just upgraded away from. But this gives me hope that much more is possible and will be reached eventually.

This is good! Next, would be to come up with some way to improve the graphics, if possible, maybe some open GL app or other. *shrugs*

How do you improve a classic game's graphics? I mean, you can increase the resolution in something like Prophecy.. but what can you do to Priv and have it still be Priv? You can use another game's engine and do a conversion.. but that's not related to getting Priv working in Windows. The way I see it, next step is Armada.. it has a slightly different JEMM so will take some work. Then after that.. simulating a network for Armada online..

Hey Chris, we should get a really long Null Modem cable and play Armada... Finding a cable to run from Vancouver to Seattle can't be hard... and I doubt there'll be signal loss problems.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
How do you improve a classic game's graphics? I mean, you can increase the resolution in something like Prophecy.. but what can you do to Priv and have it still be Priv? You can use another game's engine and do a conversion.. but that's not related to getting Priv working in Windows. The way I see it, next step is Armada.. it has a slightly different JEMM so will take some work. Then after that.. simulating a network for Armada online..

Who cares. Point would be to improve it, not abandon or null out any original aspect of the game. Would you not play it if someone came up with a GL mod to it just because you no longer see blockies in the screen???

I doubt it.

Networking Armada across the net would be neat indeed. Would also be better with improved graphics too.

Why stop progress when progress is being made eh?

Joystick

I would say Privateer is even better in windows! I set the install music card to General midi and windows forces it to use my sb64 wave table and boy does that sound sweet in comparison to the sb16 setting!

Anyway Privateer doesnt seem to recognize my old gravis joystick (worked in dos). Windows 98 sees it and it calibrates and tests well. However in game it just doesnt work.

Any suggestions?

If it's serial you need, there are a number of serial-port-to-TCP/IP software packages available. They emulate a standard serial port, but really connect to an internet IP address... one I remember pretended to be a modem, and you "dialed" the other end, which "answered". Quite neat, really, but pricey.

Originally posted by RFBurns
Who cares. Point would be to improve it, not abandon or null out any original aspect of the game. Would you not play it if someone came up with a GL mod to it just because you no longer see blockies in the screen???

I'm all for improvement on the scale of Prophecy being made to high res or it being patched to give lens flare while in D3D and so on. Those are great improvements. However to go into GL and such for Privateer would require even more than entirely new graphics. It seems to me you're talking about substantially modifying or making a new engine for the game. I would prefer the original. If I want flashy graphics and color balance, I can already play Freelancer any time.

I know nothing about programming and such, but how customizable is the Privateer engine? With the Vision engine you can insert new ships, missions, dialogues, guns, etc. What can be done with Privateer without the so-called "source code"?

Also, I think some people are very anxious. One good news at a time. This week we have Priv1 running smoothly in Windows, which is definitely great! Maybe the next step is Armada.

Does anyone know if that Ross Ridge guy will keep working on new patches?

the "so called" source code? heh what does that mean..

afaik no one has added an original ship. There are patches around that let you fly certain NPC ships. I think with some work, new missions/systems might be possible

regarding updating the graphics.. I just don't imagine it could be done, aside from perhaps creating higher res sprites.. I would venture to say there is no way to make it '3-d'

Still, I am very happy to have it running in windows :) works great here. Friend of mine just gets the 'error code 2' message though. Wish I knew what that meant :)

Originally posted by Starkey

Does anyone know if that Ross Ridge guy will keep working on new patches?

AFAIK he doesn't have Armada or Strike Commander, so improving MYJEMM in order to work with them would be kinda hard...

Too bad I run on Windows 2000! ARGH! :mad:

Oh well, I got WC1 to work in a DOS emulator... mwuhahahahah!
Hooray for dos emulators!

Originally posted by cff
AFAIK he doesn't have Armada or Strike Commander, so improving MYJEMM in order to work with them would be kinda hard...

He just got Armada..

Back