My Problems With Privateer...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
Okay, don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great game once you get the hang of it, but I'm just having some troubles, so I'm hoping you guys help me out here.

Okay, first off, I got no joystick control nor sound, but I'll take that up with Tech Support later.

Secondly, I buy some stuff for my freighter, particularly some software for my nav computer, I take it. Now I assume this puts certain jump points in your system so you can autopilot toward them, am I correct in that assumption? Well, I spend forever trying to find the jump point I'm looking for so I can complete a certain mission, but to no avail! What the hell is this?

Exemplem Gratiam: I have to go to Perry Naval Base, but I can't find the damn system on my nav map!

Basically, this the only real problem I have with Privateer. I really want to play it, but I can't get past this obstacle. I'm probably pretty daft just for bringing this up, but... I'd appreciate any help.
frown.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dralthi5 said:
Okay, first off, I got no joystick control nor sound, but I'll take that up with Tech Support later.

Your joystick may not work in DOS, and the sound card, did you configure it right when you instaled the game? Are you sure you have an SB card, or a 100% compatible one?

Secondly, I buy some stuff for my freighter, particularly some software for my nav computer, I take it. Now I assume this puts certain jump points in your system so you can autopilot toward them, am I correct in that assumption? Well, I spend forever trying to find the jump point I'm looking for so I can complete a certain mission, but to no avail! What the hell is this?

When you buy system maps they are place into your comp automaticly. To use them open the nav map, and there should be an arrow on the low right side. Click on it to switch betwen quadrants. To get to the Perry base, you have to go to the Perry system.

No, I probably don't have a 100% compatible sound card. Eh, it's not a big deal.

Okay, I'll try playing the game again--not tonight, maybe tomorrow--and looking for that.

Anyone else got anything to say...?

------------------

He pretty much said it all.
You have to choose the quadrant on your nav computer and then find the Perry system, and then select the Perry Base nav point.

Too bad P1 didn't have course plotting like P2. That would surely be a help.

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

You didn't mention if you had purchasded a jump drive, if you hadn't, thats a major problem. You can't leave the Troy system with out one.

Yup, I have bought a jump drive.
smile.gif

------------------

Oy. Picked up Privateer and hour or two ago to try it again. Watched the opening cutscene, bought a mass driver cannon, the map to the Gemini Sector, and a jump drive, and signed on for my first mission: Deliver some iron to New Detroit.

Well, my problem had always been that I couldn't find where I needed to go. Tonight I just looked at my maps, saw what systems led to where, and eventually found myself at New Detroit! So, I land on the planet... now what? Where the hell do I go to deliver my cargo and pick up my cash?

Anyway, I go into the bar in an effort to find out, and meet this guy named Sandoval, who gives me this artifact and tells me to go Liverpool. He says some of his people will pick up the cargo when he lands, so I figured that had been done and go back to New Detroit. Well, Sandoval is dead and this women (I forget her name) sends to me this pirate base with plastics (Oakhem, I think is th name of the joint), but I can't find the damn place on my nav maps!

Dejected, I decided to just explore Gemini, going to Perry, etc. Then I ran into a Confed blockade, and got stuck...

Basically, what I'm asking is what to do with my cargo after I go to the place where I'm supposed to deliver it to. Once I learn this, I'm sure I'll have a better time playing Privateer.

------------------

Cargo is delivered automatically when you arrive at the destination, and you are given the money automatically.
As for Oakham, pirate bases aren't marked on the map, but that's no problem since your mission plan should tell you at which nav point the base is (and if it doesn't, just go for a prowl through the system; you can't miss it
smile.gif
).

Okay, I'll take another crack at it. Um, what system is Oakhem in exactly?

------------------

Ahhh... must remember... can't remember. Possibly, it's called Pentonville, but I'm not sure of that.

Dralthi: You might want to hang out in Oxford system for a while. The lack of nav points there make it a pretty profitable system if you take attack/scout/patrol missions.

Actually, the more nav points you do in a patrol, the more money you get. I always liked going to Perry, and there taking three patrol missions at once (it's something like 9 nav points, so don't think about taking just one patrol). If they were from the Mercs' guild, you could get somewhere around 30,000 in one flight.

Never mind. Started reading the tread from the wrong end. Looks like you've got your nav problems fixed.

[This message has been edited by Divco (edited March 12, 2000).]

Quarto said:
Actually, the more nav points you do in a patrol, the more money you get. I always liked going to Perry, and there taking three patrol missions at once (it's something like 9 nav points, so don't think about taking just one patrol). If they were from the Mercs' guild, you could get somewhere around 30,000 in one flight.

I don't think the amount you get for those long patrol missions depends on the number of NAV points. In Troy a 5 nav patrol gets you 9000 on average from the Mercs guild. Keep reloading your game and you can get 27000 a trip
smile.gif
But a 3 nav patrol in Oxford gets you the same amount of creds. At least I've gotten 3 ~9000 cred missions in Oxford ...

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Well, it also depends on the amount of risk, I guess. But generally, I've found Perry to be much more profitable than Oxford... oh, yeah. Now I remember. There's a refinery Perry as well as the Naval Base. You can't really sell arms to a refinery, but you sure as hell can sell the refinery's products in the Naval Base. So, you can generate quite a bit of profit from trade. If you add this to the 30,000 for the three patrols, you can get somewhere around 40,000, if not more. And since there's Broadswords or Stilettos at every second nav point, you're not risking anything
smile.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Any extra profit in Perry is off set by the risk if you ask me
smile.gif
The incredible ease of patroling Oxford helps more while you're still in a crappy ship
smile.gif

What risk?
smile.gif
Like I said, there are Confed patrols at every second nav point. And since you just have to visit the nav points, you can actually ignore any enemy ships. I did that quite frequently on days when I didn't feel like fighting... on other days, I went into the Blockade Systems and beyond
wink.gif
. Always nice to have a Kamekh for breakfast
smile.gif

Please, when you're talking about eating Dralthi, it makes me feel weird.
redface.gif

------------------

Back