My God....challenging Cap Ships.....

Chameleon102

Spaceman
Has anyone else noticed that when you put Prophecy and Secret Ops up to Nightmare mode, the capital ships start firing their lasers in quads (like the Kilrathi Corvette), and actually USE their missile turrets a lot.

True, the Bugs still can't fly worth a crap, but I always thought that the WC Universe needed challenging Cap Ships.

Privateer 2 had them, the the curse of EMS/XMS struck yet again.....ARRGH!

I found flying against the WCIII and IV a bit more challenging. :)

Blast Radius has very challenging capships

I've played Blast Radius on Sony PlayStation, that game has very challenging capships to defeat. I think that WC should have the challenge of Blast Radius. Also, a friend of mine had told me that the U.S. Air Force has used Blast Radius for air combat training.

There is some spot in the Shuttle from P2 from where you can approach and the guns don´t fire at you, is really easy to fly against the shuttles.

Once you have 5 Kraven lasers a shuttle is no problem at all in Priv2. ;)

In WCP, I only found the carrier to pose a real threat to fighters.

The Leviathan was IMHO the easiest CapShip in WCP, the turrets, and missiles launchers are so exposed to the fireguns, that you can destroy them in minutes !!!!!

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
In WCP, I only found the carrier to pose a real threat to fighters.

I found Crusiers to be a bit trying, myself.

[Edited by LeHah on 07-28-2001 at 15:30]

Capships in WCP and SO were cakewalks. All you had to watch out for was the fighter cover. Get behind the engines and blast your torps in. Then you could usually find a spot close to the bridge, park you ship in the turrents blind spot and take that out.

by the by Chip. In flight school you use a hell of a lot cooler and more advanced simulators than the video games that are out now. THe closest thing that I've seen to actual SIMs are the janes games, and F-22, and those fell way short. AF may use v-games as a recruitment tool. I was in a squadron where we were responsible for retooling the inputs on an old F-16 simulator to be used as a recruitment station, but i've never heard of anyone training on a video game.

I don't think they want pilots going up trying to switch weapons using the "G" key.:)

[Edited by Arcadian15 on 07-28-2001 at 15:39]

Originally posted by Arcadian15
Capships in WCP and SO were cakewalks. All you had to watch out for was the fighter cover. Get behind the engines and blast your torps in. Then you could usually find a spot close to the bridge, park you ship in the turrents blind spot and take that out.

Yeah, I actually stopped playing Prophecy (!!!) for awhile because the missions degenerated into tedious capship hunts. Most of the Priv 2 non-shuttle capships (especially that big CIS Experimental Dreadnought), WC2 Ralatha, and Kilrathi Corvettes in WC3 and Prophecy gave me the hardest time.

...but i've never heard of anyone training on a video game.

The Marines used a modified version of Doom 2 as a tactical training aid in the mid-90's.

[Edited by Rampage3051 on 07-28-2001 at 19:39]

Originally posted by Rampage3051
The Marines used a modified version of Doom 2 as a tactical training aid in the mid-90's.
That sounds like a crazy myth to me.

The military has enough money in its budget to afford its own software, fully customized. A good example of this is the graphics engine in Mechwarrior 3 which, a few years before, was used to train US tank crews. The version we saw in MW3 was of course toned down and streamlined for the less-expensive hardware on the consumer market.

More often than not, military hardware and software is adapted for consumer uses once it is obsoleted by newer devices, not the other way around.

Originally posted by Frosty
Originally posted by Rampage3051
That sounds like a crazy myth to me.
Actually, I saw this on a TV news report some time ago myself.

I recall reading about it in a fairly reliable source myself. If you care I can prolly dig up the article.

Originally posted by Ghost
The Leviathan was IMHO the easiest CapShip in WCP, the turrets, and missiles launchers are so exposed to the fireguns, that you can destroy them in minutes !!!!!

But there are a lot of them (especially missile turrets) and you get shot at by multiple turrets at a time, not like the Hydra, where you get seldom hit by more than two turrets.

I mean, of course, even the Leviathan was easy to destroy but to get rid of all her turrets (or 66%, whatever the mission goals) was hard for me.

The only "problem" I had with the cruisers war that her turrets were relatively hard-armoured so you had to shoot at them more often.

Yeah, I'll agree that the Dreadnought (the Kilrathi one, not the flying piece of excrement called the Tiamat) was the hardest bastard of them all.

True, you weren't actually MEANT to kill it, but there you go ;)

i would have thought that they would use one of those VR set ups they sometimes have at the larger of the malls.

Back