My first 3D

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
For the past year plus I have been secretly working my 3D skill, and today I am finally and proudly present my first finished work.

A P-64 Ferret.
The first two photos are of a Ferret C in In-Sys colors.

Attachments

• Ferret.jpg
    Ferret.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Ferret1.jpg
    Ferret1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 171
The other two came under insperation from Marc's In-Sys Rapier and are of P-64D Super Ferret, armed with a pair of AIM-15 Javelin HS missiles, under a possiable fleet camo.

Attachments

• Ferretfleet.jpg
    Ferretfleet.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Ferretfleet1.jpg
    Ferretfleet1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited by a moderator:
great work! looks really good bud :)

my only little thing, the guns are a bit undersized, overall though, really great work!

edit:

if you want any other reference shots of other ships, lemme know too and i'll be happy to provide em :)

You did a better job of it than I did! Seriously, I'm not kidding! very nice :)

The back end is more authentic looking, IMO.

the back end is missin some bits and bobs, but overall is damn accurate for sure.

Any beauty shots in the works??

@ Maj.Striker: Thanks :). Now only if I could achive your level of animation making - your last one with the Raptors was Excellent!!!

@ Marc : I don't know if I did a better job then you did... I was actually inspired by you models in your "Tarawa" thread, especialy your Sabre.

@ BradMick: No, not yet, but this is a part of a "project" I've been working for the last year by now, a capital ship, that I might need redoing (as I did her in with some terrible mistakes which make texturing virtually Impossible). also, I'd love for more ref. shots... on anything...
at the moment I speciffically need ref. pics for a WC1 Venture corvette

BTW I really couldn't tell what was about the rear end, ao I tried somthing and came out "fine", but I would love for tips to improve it.

(WOW! it's the Standoff guy :eek: ) :D :D

Thanx Eder!
I would love to get some texturing tips from you.

BTW, when WILL we get more of the best?

I live in the "Q'rayot", which is Hebrew for districts (plural). Basically they are a bunch of suburbs of Haifa. I live in "Qiryat Haim", which translates to "District of Life"… :)

Have you been to the "Holy Land"?

Yeah I went in 2000...best trip of my life. Absolutely fantastic, of course I did all the tourist things, Tiberius, Jerusalem, Masada, Tel Aviv, Bethlehem (it was sealed off at the time, there's a funny story about that too) etc. If I ever had to move to different country, Israel would definitely be very high on my list.

I would love to hear your story on Bethlehem. Probably some good luaghs from what I know of my country :D

In 2000 I was still in the army. (I did the slyvester on base :( )

Where are you from?

(Edit: Hey! I'd just been Captained!!!!!! Hooray!!!!)

HammerHead said:
Thanx Eder!
I would love to get some texturing tips from you.[/QUOTE]
Feel free to send any questions my way, but be aware that even I am not too fond of my texturing skills. :(

Lately I've had even less time to try out new ideas, so if anyone knows any good Photoshop tutorials, let me know too. :p

HammerHead said:
BTW, when WILL we get more of the best?
I'm afraid the answer is still "when it's done". But it's getting closer. :p

Eder said:
Feel free to send any questions my way, but be aware that even I am not too fond of my texturing skills. :(

Well, I don't understand why... they are excellent! (as far as I can tell anyway...)
I was wondering how are you doing the square texture that makes it look like hull plating.

Eder said:
Lately I've had even less time to try out new ideas, so if anyone knows any good Photoshop tutorials, let me know too. :p

Have you tried the Tutorial Outpost ?

It's realy nice.

HammerHead said:
Well, I don't understand why... they are excellent! (as far as I can tell anyway...)
I was wondering how are you doing the square texture that makes it look like hull plating.
That's just a big texture with hull plating hand-painted on it... A good start is to draw random squares and lines in 3-4 different layers, then use different transparency values and/or overlay modes for each. Then add some airbrush around some of the edges, and if you want a "brushed metal" look, add some monochrome noise on a layer on top of everything, then motion blur or radial blur the noise.

You might want to add a background layer that's made of a procedural texture (like clouds or something like that) instead of using a plain color as base layer, so that the effects you add on top don't look too plain.

Once that big texture's done, I just re-use different parts of it for each other texture I need to make (I just apply a color layer on top of the hull plating, then another couple copies of the hull plating layer - with different overlay modes and brightness/contrast settings, to serve as fake bump and specular maps - then I add the hand-painted dust, dirt, and scratches layer on top).

I'll check out that site in a few months when I get the time. :(

Back