My first 3D

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
For the past year plus I have been secretly working my 3D skill, and today I am finally and proudly present my first finished work.

A P-64 Ferret.
The first two photos are of a Ferret C in In-Sys colors.

Attachments

BradMick

Vice Admiral
great work! looks really good bud :)

my only little thing, the guns are a bit undersized, overall though, really great work!

edit:

if you want any other reference shots of other ships, lemme know too and i'll be happy to provide em :)

Marc

Commodore
You did a better job of it than I did! Seriously, I'm not kidding! very nice :)

The back end is more authentic looking, IMO.

BradMick

Vice Admiral
the back end is missin some bits and bobs, but overall is damn accurate for sure.

Any beauty shots in the works??

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
@ Maj.Striker: Thanks :). Now only if I could achive your level of animation making - your last one with the Raptors was Excellent!!!

@ Marc : I don't know if I did a better job then you did... I was actually inspired by you models in your "Tarawa" thread, especialy your Sabre.

@ BradMick: No, not yet, but this is a part of a "project" I've been working for the last year by now, a capital ship, that I might need redoing (as I did her in with some terrible mistakes which make texturing virtually Impossible). also, I'd love for more ref. shots... on anything...
at the moment I speciffically need ref. pics for a WC1 Venture corvette

BTW I really couldn't tell what was about the rear end, ao I tried somthing and came out "fine", but I would love for tips to improve it.

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
(WOW! it's the Standoff guy :eek: ) :D :D

Thanx Eder!
I would love to get some texturing tips from you.

BTW, when WILL we get more of the best?

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
I live in the "Q'rayot", which is Hebrew for districts (plural). Basically they are a bunch of suburbs of Haifa. I live in "Qiryat Haim", which translates to "District of Life"… :)

Have you been to the "Holy Land"?

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Yeah I went in 2000...best trip of my life. Absolutely fantastic, of course I did all the tourist things, Tiberius, Jerusalem, Masada, Tel Aviv, Bethlehem (it was sealed off at the time, there's a funny story about that too) etc. If I ever had to move to different country, Israel would definitely be very high on my list.

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
I would love to hear your story on Bethlehem. Probably some good luaghs from what I know of my country :D

In 2000 I was still in the army. (I did the slyvester on base :( )

Where are you from?

(Edit: Hey! I'd just been Captained!!!!!! Hooray!!!!)

Eder

Mr. Standoff
HammerHead said:
Thanx Eder!
I would love to get some texturing tips from you.[/QUOTE]
Feel free to send any questions my way, but be aware that even I am not too fond of my texturing skills. :(

Lately I've had even less time to try out new ideas, so if anyone knows any good Photoshop tutorials, let me know too. :p

HammerHead said:
BTW, when WILL we get more of the best?
I'm afraid the answer is still "when it's done". But it's getting closer. :p

HammerHead

Rear Admiral
Eder said:
Feel free to send any questions my way, but be aware that even I am not too fond of my texturing skills. :(
Well, I don't understand why... they are excellent! (as far as I can tell anyway...)
I was wondering how are you doing the square texture that makes it look like hull plating.

Eder said:
Lately I've had even less time to try out new ideas, so if anyone knows any good Photoshop tutorials, let me know too. :p
Have you tried the Tutorial Outpost ?

It's realy nice.

Eder

Mr. Standoff
HammerHead said:
Well, I don't understand why... they are excellent! (as far as I can tell anyway...)
I was wondering how are you doing the square texture that makes it look like hull plating.
That's just a big texture with hull plating hand-painted on it... A good start is to draw random squares and lines in 3-4 different layers, then use different transparency values and/or overlay modes for each. Then add some airbrush around some of the edges, and if you want a "brushed metal" look, add some monochrome noise on a layer on top of everything, then motion blur or radial blur the noise.

You might want to add a background layer that's made of a procedural texture (like clouds or something like that) instead of using a plain color as base layer, so that the effects you add on top don't look too plain.

Once that big texture's done, I just re-use different parts of it for each other texture I need to make (I just apply a color layer on top of the hull plating, then another couple copies of the hull plating layer - with different overlay modes and brightness/contrast settings, to serve as fake bump and specular maps - then I add the hand-painted dust, dirt, and scratches layer on top).

I'll check out that site in a few months when I get the time. :(