My favorite WWII movie

Well, I'd just like to say, I've never heard of an F-14 being shot down and several MIGs as well over a communications ship...but no one objects to Top Gun, do they?

Oh goody. looks like there will be more fodder for the historical inacuracy cannon soon. Tom cruise is supposed to star in a new movie about the Battle of Britain, called The Few

Plot Outline: Tom Cruise stars in the true-life story of American pilot Billy Fiske, who ignored his country's neutrality rules in the early days of WWII and flew Hurricanes against the Germans.

Scripted by John Logan (gladiator, aviator, ST:nemesis) I can only imagine now what the potential might be. The saving grace is that Michael Mann is set to direct and he is a stickler for realism and detail. I usually like most of his movies. (I really like Heat, Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans. I enjoyed Collateral too. I dont think I need to comment on Ali. However, I haven't seen the recut director edition dvd)

Quarto said:
That's the equivalent of a newspaper printing a great big "George Bush is dead!" on the front page, and adding a tiny "not really" at the bottom of the last page.

Not quite. A newspaper is, at least in theory, supposed to be mostly factual.

(The normal gap between "theory" and "practice" is left as an excercise for the reader, but please engage in that exercise in some other thread. This one is already hijacked to a fare-thee-well as it is.)

A movie that was never claimed to be a documentary is rather less expected to be factual, in general.

AD said:
Oh goody. looks like there will be more fodder for the historical inacuracy cannon soon. Tom cruise is supposed to star in a new movie about the Battle of Britain, called The Few

Plot Outline: Tom Cruise stars in the true-life story of American pilot Billy Fiske, who ignored his country's neutrality rules in the early days of WWII and flew Hurricanes against the Germans.

Scripted by John Logan (gladiator, aviator, ST:nemesis) I can only imagine now what the potential might be. The saving grace is that Michael Mann is set to direct and he is a stickler for realism and detail. I usually like most of his movies. (I really like Heat, Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans. I enjoyed Collateral too. I dont think I need to comment on Ali. However, I haven't seen the recut director edition dvd)

That sounds like it could be cool

As for Top Gun, I love the movie and all, well look at my username (which really comes from WC I where I used it as a callsign, but that comes Top Gun :D). But the Migs in the movie were all american F-5s, but then again the movie was made in the 80's and therefore they wouldn'e have had access to real Migs, or Computer animation

It has to be said that U571 was poor, last I looked it was the British who captured the Enigma machine. Pearl Harbour was shockingly bad really. Many of the films were. Longest day was great as was midway and kelly's heroes. I do like the Film about Douglas Bader but I can't remember what it is called.

At the time Saving Private Ryan was great due to the shock factor, nothing like it had ever been seen. My favourite is Band of Brothers, not a film I know but the episode entitled Why We Fight is very thought provoking.

If I were to extend it to Vietnam films then it is true, We Were Soldiers makes Saving Private Ryan look like Dads Army, and it really does!

Yeah I saw a bit of that movie the other week when it was on Channel 4, and that scene where that guy gets Sticky Gasalene or something on his face is horrible.

I have to say that I do like Saving Private Ryan, I think I prefer the Longest Day because it's a general D-Day movie, focusing on all landing area, including the paratroops.

Jason_Ryock said:
Well, I'd just like to say, I've never heard of an F-14 being shot down and several MIGs as well over a communications ship...but no one objects to Top Gun, do they?

Fighters getting shot down aren't as important as, say, cracking the German code and being able to read all their transmissions during the war.

Back