my computer hates all wc help

Dogslime

Spaceman
ok heres the low-down: wc2-getting help, wc3- locks up on install when configuring sound after test(succesful or otherwise), wc4(95 native) locks up when a mission starts, wcp- video stutters after running a mission(works again upon reboot)

ok the sound accel is off too so...

ok when i typed mem heres what i got:

memory type Total USed free
conventional 636k 68k 568k
upper 83k 83k 0k
reserved 0k 0k 0k
extended(xms) 65385k ? 128636k

total under 1meg 719k 150k 568k

It means there isn't enough free 'base memory", your first 640KB of memory. You need a bootdisk that has optimized settings and only loads the drivers you really need.

It's not the 128 MB that it's counting. Nothing in DOS will come even close to using all of that up.

It's counting base memory. A long time ago, someone decided that nobody should ever need more than 640 KB of memory, and DOS was created with a ceiling at that limit. This is called "base memory"; any memory above that is called "extended" or "expanded" memory, depending on how it's allocated. Typical programs are not capable of loading themselves into anything but base memory, so you have to keep that stuff somewhat clean.

Post the contents of your autoexec.bat and config.sys files and we'll tell you how to create a boot disk to get the games working.

With a Quarto quote in your sig, you'd better remember the days of conventional memory :). Fun stuff, that was... constantly messing around with config.sys and autoexec.bat just to get one or two kilobytes more...

Are you so ashamed of being in my sig?

Actually, when I first got WC2 running, it was without EMS. I didn't know much about the inner workings, but after scouring the DOS manual, I eventually scrounged up 617Kb of conventional memory + EMS. Not a 'fun' experience, but the results definitely were. :)

Back