Music in Privateer 1 with AWE64

Darth Roel

Spaceman
After having had no succes at getting Priv to work with my SB PCI128, I've now installed an old AWE64, and WOW!! I've actually got sound, however the music still doesn't work. I think the sollution has been posted before, but I can't find it. So if anyone would be so kind to explain it one more time, I'd appreciate it.

my configs are:
Autoexec.bat:
SET SOUND=C:\AWE64\CTSND
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
rem SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
rem SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6 J200
rem SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WIN95_25
rem SET CTSYN=C:\WIN95_25
REM SET SBPCI=C:\WIN95_25
SET NUMLOCK=OFF
SET COMSPEC=C:\WIN95_25\COMMAND.COM
LH C:\Logitech\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

LH C:\WIN95_25\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /E /D:IDECD000
PATH=C:\WIN95_25;C:\WIN95_25\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;D:\BIN;C:\1DIRPLUS;D:\UTILS\NU

config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\WIN95_25\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WIN95_25\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
dos=umb
dos=high
files=30
buffers=30
stacks=18,256

[common]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000 /Q

Also, make a call to AWEUTIL. I don't know where it's located on your drive, but the call should look like this:

C:\[directory]\AWEUTIL /EM:GM

Then, run the Privateer install program and select General MIDI. I think you'll be impressed with the music quality.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, unfortunately when I try to use Aweutil I get the following error message:
Erro12 AWE32 intialization failed

I don't know exactly how I'm supposed to initialize the card, as I don't get any other error messages with the normal drivers, and I do have some sound with the card. I just emailed Creative with my problem, so hopefully they'll know what to do, at least it's a numbered error, so hopefully it'll be pretty easy to solve, once I know what to do.

I was just looking at your autoexec.bat again. Where's the sbenit.com driver. This driver makes it all happen.
Example of my autoexec.bat sound settings:

@rem ;;The below lines are for the SBLive sound card;;
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:F MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 J200
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

Notice the order.

uhmm... well I can't find that file anywhere on my drive! Maybe it's just for SB Live! I think for my card I should use aweutil, but as I stated before, that only gives an error message.

Check out the newsgroup
creative.products.sound_blaster.awe
There is a thread call

Re: Midi and sound effects in DOS with AWE 64

It's sound like you need these things to get sound. I believe the CTCM is the dos driver.

CTCM
AWEUTIL /s
MIXERSET /p /q

A qouto from this thread.
"You only need CTCM, AWEUTIL, and MIXERSET in the AUTOEXEC.BAT. CTCM initializes the card as a whole, but not the AWE chip. AWEUTIL initializes the Emu AWE synthesizer and makes it available at your mpu401 address (330). MIXERSET just sets the volume levels. Put
these in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file after the SET BLASTER command. Here's an example:

SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
CTCM
AWEUTIL /s
MIXERSET /p /q
MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001
MOUSE /c2

------------------"

[Edited by Johnl12 on 04-15-2001 at 22:52]

still doesn't work ...

Hi thanks for the tips, unfortunately it still doesn't work. Just for clarity I'll include my current config files, maybe I just made a stupid mistake.

autoexec.bat:
SET CTSYN=C:\WIN95_25
SET CTCM=C:\AWE64
C:\AWE64\CTCU /S /W=C:\WIN95_25
SET NUMLOCK=OFF

PATH=C:\WIN95_25;C:\WIN95_25\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;D:\BIN;C:\1DIRPLUS;D:\UTILS\NU;C:\AWE64;C:\AWE64\CTSND

C:\AWE64\CTSND\CTLOAD C:\AWE64\CTSND\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /V /P:1E8,11,3EE

C:\AWE64\CTSND\AWEUTIL /EM:GM

d:
cd\privater

config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTSND\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5 /WIN95
DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTSND\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
dos=umb
dos=high
files=30
buffers=30
stacks=18,256

[common]

Try these settings. Notice the order. In the autoexec.bat file I add some lines. In the config.sys I REM these three lines:
DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTSND\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5 /WIN95
DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTSND\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

The first two I really do not believe you need. The third one I'm not sure. If you find that you do need them try using the DEVICEHIGH command to load these into upper memory. I also added DEVICEHIGH=C:\LOGITECH\MOUSE\CLOAKING.EXE and LASTDRIVE=H. I also have a logitech mouse. The cloaking.exe loads the mouse driver to upper memory. If you don't have the cloaking.exe in C:\LOGITECH\MOUSE then get it from the logitech floppy. The LASTDRIVE=G represent how many drives you have. On my PC my hard drive has three partitions and two CD-ROM's. This means my hard drive are letters C, D, and E. The two CD-ROM's are letters F and G. So my LASTDRIVE=G. You can see yours in "My Computer".

---------AUTOEXEC.BAT-----------

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET PATH=C:\WIN95_25;C:\WIN95_25\COMMAND;C:\1DIRPLUS;C:\AWE64;C:\AWE64\CTSND

SET TMP=C:\ WIN95_25\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\ WIN95_25\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g

REM ------------SOUND CARD-----------
SET CTSYN=C:\WIN95_25
SET CTCM=C:\AWE64
C:\AWE64\CTCU /S /W=C:\WIN95_25
CTCM
AWEUTIL /s
MIXERSET /p /q

REM ----

---------------CONFIG.SYS--------------
DOS=HIGH,UMB

REM DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTCM.EXE
REM DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTSND\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5 /WIN95
REM DEVICE=C:\AWE64\CTSND\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

FILESHIGH=30
BUFFERSHIGH=30
STACKS=18,256

REM [common]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\LOGITECH\MOUSE\CLOAKING.EXE
SHELL=C:\ WIN95_25\COMMAND.COM C:\ WIN95_25 /P
LASTDRIVE=G

[Edited by Johnl12 on 04-16-2001 at 15:17]

progress

John, thanks a lot. I think we're almost there. Right now everything loads up fine and I even get music ... for 5 seconds, after which my system reboots. Any further ideas?

John thanks for all your efforts, I wish I could say everything works perfectly right now, but it doesn't. I do feel I've made a few big step though, so thanks again.

Whoops! Sorry, I forgot about CTCM.

Go back to the state you were in at the time of my last post, and make a call to CTCM before "AWEUTIL /EM:GM".

Should work fine.

Just for fun I tried installing Privateer 2 last night, and it accepted the General Midi setting without a glith, so I think the problem is with privateer 1. I guess there's not much that can be done about that. Just wanted to let you guys know all your help had some results.

There are midi patches for P1. I do have them. I just don't remember where I got them. When I first got these WC games 2 years ago I search the web for everything I can find.

Back