movie jumping

Stargeezer

Spaceman
Hi there,
I just finished Secret Ops and got Unknown Enemy running with the hints from another post. The only thing, that won't work are the movies. The keep jumping, although I ran dxdiag.exe and set the hardware acceleration to zero. Can anyone help me out?

Nope. No movie fix exists at this point (it is planned once Standoff is finished) if the dxdiag trick doesn't work. Only thing you might want to try is to generally slow down your PC.

Thanks cff... I downloaded the movie viewer from CIC to watch the films seperatly.

Unknown Enemy rocks, but its harder to play... just got busted on the retreat mission.

Aye, in retrospect UE made a lot of mistakes, not least of which we made it too damn hard to compensate for the small number of missions (and then we made those missions overly complicated for similar reasons). Still, even having programmed the missions I get a real sense of accomplishment from beating it.

I really dig the scenario of the game. The Klirathi mission with the new graphic are great... like the old times on the Claw.

More missions would be nice, epecially because much effort went into designing ships which seem to appear only once or twice. But I haven't seen that much of the game... missed to capture the Fralthi and to save that station and got chased to death by the bugs. But a few hours ago I got that sucker.. btw the amount of ships buggering me while I tried to chop of its turrets was far from fair :D

As for the difficulty, I'll start with Rookie and work my way up the ladder.

Anyway, props for the cool game.

Pierre and I keep talking about doing a final patch for UE, fixing all the known bugs and upgrading the DLL to take advantage of the movie-skipping fix from Standoff. Above all, I would love to add internally-viewable fiction to the game, to replace the external viewer, though that's highly problematic (the in-game viewer doesn't allow scrolling, and most UE fiction pieces were too long to fit on one screen).

I keep putting it off, though... to be honest, I'm scared :p. If I sat back down to UE, I'm not sure if I could stop myself from trying to make deeper changes... and then, I have no idea how far I'd go before somebody stopped me. I'd probably start to tweak the missions, then I'd end up adding more missions, and next thing you know, I'd start talking about adding talking heads cutscenes, replacing the lower-quality ship models, and so on, and so on... so you see, it's just too dangerous for me to risk touching UE :).

Hehe, but I'll keep nagging you until you do, old friend ;) I really intend to make that "final" version of UE... someday :p

I keep putting it off, though... to be honest, I'm scared :p. If I sat back down to UE, I'm not sure if I could stop myself from trying to make deeper changes... and then, I have no idea how far I'd go before somebody stopped me. I'd probably start to tweak the missions, then I'd end up adding more missions, and next thing you know, I'd start talking about adding talking heads cutscenes, replacing the lower-quality ship models, and so on, and so on... so you see, it's just too dangerous for me to risk touching UE :).

Sounds like sooner or later it's gonna happen :)
Well, you got my vote for it.... adding some more missions to this great game would suffice though.

Hehe, no, really, the likelihood of such big changes is very low - I'd like to think that ultimately, I'll have enough willpower to stop myself from doing anything crazy and restrict myself to bugfixing.

I mean, any time you go back to something you did a long time ago, you find a million things that you'd like to change. The question then becomes - what's the point? If I was to change even half of the things that bother me about UE today, it would no longer be UE.

Personally if I were to take on another project (which is increasingly becoming an inevitability) it wouldn't be a UE title, I perceive that project as a learning experience and would want to distance myself. EA has just recently given modders the gift of a massive playground with their latest batch of universe fiction; I can think of more interesting undertakings.

Back