Most useless Wingman

Originally posted by pendell
On the plus side for WC4, let me give an honourable mention to Blade... Sample battle:
"Plenty of victims here, Col!"
"Break and attack!"
*KA-BOOM* "Next victim!"
*KA-BOOM* "Next victim!"
*KA-BOOM* "Next victim!"
"No more victims around, Col!"
Just goes to show that Mr Oldziey is not just useful for composing music only. :)

In the few missions you could, I didn't mind flying with Seether in WC4, but he just never shut up. He always had something to say.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Hmm, I don't get it. Everything she did was killing a cartoon figure. Either we take Archer and our alter ego as "real" or neither one.
Errr... we're talking about your reactions. It's not Blair that thinks Archer should "get over it" - it's you. And while to Blair, like Archer, everything in WC is "real", that is obviously not the case for you (I hope).

HeHe Raptor...

But then killing Hobbes was just as real and painful for Blair as it was for Archer killing Blizzard. And he did get over it...

But I think I see what you mean...

Im gonna bring this thread back to life, I love bashing wingmen.

WC1-They all sucked cept for Iceman and sometimes Hunter
WC2-They ALL sucked! Especially Hobbes, why do ppl like him so much? Hes never lasted through more than 1 nav point in any of my games. He makes it off the carrier and into a fight for a few seconds, but then dies. Sux.
WC3-Good god, none were good but at least they didnt die every few seconds. Well, Vagabond and Vaquero were cool.
WC4-Primate is the best wingmen. Vagabonds good too for a while at least.
WCP-Ew, I didnt like this game. Sorry Prophecy fans, but as far as Im concerned the series ended after Tolwyn hangs. I do have it though, and dont recall any wingmen being either exceptionally great or exceptionally bad.

Now to bash. WHY CANT THESE PEOPLE DO THEIR JOBS!? UGH! They suck! The Kilrathi even know this, they usually just ignore them anyways. WC1 pilots that especially ticked me off (well, they all had their moments...I wanted to throw them all out the door) - Paladin: COULD YOU TRY FIGHTING PAL? Youre my fav character but you suck! Famous sayings heard round my comp while on your wing - What are ya doin? Dancin with em? :)
Angel - Ugh...must be retarded, non? Always dies.
Knight - Cat Lover. Must be the missing WC1 spy, never once shoots a cat while on my wing
Bossman - Same thing.

Throw em out the airlock...no one will miss them!

Bad

WC1 - Spirit, she never helped at all.
WC2 - I don't really have one, they all did well for me.
WC3 - Maniac. He just sucked every time I had him on my wing.
WC4 - Catscratch.

Faves

WC1 - Paladin, he did a good job usually.
WC2 - Hobbes, man, I never had to worry with him around.
WC3 - Hobbes also, he was good.
WC4 - Maniac. I dunno why, he sucked for me in WC3, and is the best this time? Oh well.

Hehe

Hehe, the funny thing about Wing Commander 1 is that even if the pilot survived the mission, they often hit their afterburner and bumped into the carrier and DIED!

How stupid was that?

Quite stupid. But it also happened to me...

Interesting that there seems not to be a generally good or bad wingmen. I remember when playing WC3/4/P it was always someone other who was good/bad. But there were always some ones, I did not like flyinf with.
And no there is even someone who had the experience that Hobbes sucks in WC2, although I always remembered him as the best of WC2. Strange and interesting...

Hm, you are right the staus of good/bad always changed at P/Wc4...one time he/she made it, next time she was the 1st to be killed...like a randomize-generator....

The wingmen in WC1 only crash into the carrier if you're 'quite stupid' enough not to know how to land properly. :)

Juchhu, den hatte ich heute noch gebraucht...:)
(joke)...the proof for my own stupidness...thanks lots of times Loaf!:D

It can happen if you dont have the alinement right, which because the Claw was a sprite, happened frequently. One moment your flying straight for the flight deck, the next your smashing into its side.

Hehehe, I remember the first time I played WC1. I got back to the carrier at the end of the mission and was like, "hmmm...now what?" I stumbled on to the comms system and called the carrier. I requested landing and then sat back. Nothing happened. Well, I tried to get closer to the carrier, but I couldnt make out anywhere to land. It was pointed in a weird angle, I look back now and I remember trying to land on that blue thing on the bottom of the carrier :). HAHAHA! I think my wingmen took a few hits as I did flyby after flyby of every spot on the carrier (except the landing deck). I eventually died. I was too close when the sprite changed and I got whacked by...drum roll...THE LANDING DECK! Poetic justice huh? :)

Back