Most shocking WC moment

What was the most shocking WC event/twist?

• Spirit commiting suicide (WC2)

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Jazz is discovered to be a traitor (WC2)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Angel murdered (WC3)

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Hobbes was only a personality overlay (WC3)

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Ordered to shoot down Eisen & Maniac/defection dilemma (WC4)

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Tolwyn's the real leader of Black Lance (WC4)

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Blair abducted by the Nephilim (WCP)

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
What would have been a good easter egg is if there were some hidden cinimas of Blair back on the Tiger's Claw\Concordia\Victory\Lexington\Intrepid.

Yeah, probably, with what? Four discs?

I ammend the most shocking moment. The most shocking moment for me is reading about the planned storyline for if you stay on with Confed in The Price of Freedom.

TC said:
That wasn't planned, stupid-head. It was a post in AGWC.

Well, anyway, I'm glad it wasn't included. Video games are meant to be a source of entertainment, not to make you feel like shit for your actions, and what Meson said about staying with Confed firmly falls into the latter catagory.

Actually, now that I think about it, Vagabond's death was a big shocker. I mean, he was practically the only Chinese guy in WC, right? So the only character of my race gets whacked (and it's not even in the cockpit).

But the BW defection thing confused me... I played that mission trying to save the Lexington for two days before I caught on.

Hmmm, killing billions of innoent people because they are unfit to be obediant killing machines. Which, considering that some of the Boarder Worlders would have been unfit, yet still slaughter Confed and Black Lance left right and centre, is certainly a shall we say bold move. I'll sit back and see just how right people think Tolwyn was.

I think Tolwyn had good intentions, but he was so desperate for them he lost sight of what was right and wrong to acchieve them. When you think about it, he just wanted to make mankind better - nothing wrong with that. He was so wrapped up in that he didn't care what he had to do to acchieve it. I suppose he believe the ends justify the means.

While he may have been right and full of good intention with wanting man to be better, he wasn't right in his way of acchieving that.

I don't mean any offense by this, but I believe after reading on Adolf Hitler that he wanted to make humans a better people by getting rid of the Jews and having Europe and Africa under Nazi rule. I see Tolwyn as something similar. Does that make him a bad man? I would think that Tolwyn would see that he was causing harm. Killing billions with the gen select bioweapons because they were unfit. But maybe he didn't. Or maybe he did and thought that the means justified the end. You would be hard pressed, if you really look into it, to find that anyone is purely evil. More or less no one kills for kicks, the only ones I an think of off the top of my head were the two Washington snipers. There is a purpose to their madness. That does not make them good in my view, but if you want to go into the level of detail that is required when looking at people like Tolwyn, then it certainly does not make their acts justifiable, but you can make it seem more idelogically sound.

Not another "Was Tolwyn right?" discussion, please. :(

AdmiralHuang said:
Actually, now that I think about it, Vagabond's death was a big shocker. I mean, he was practically the only Chinese guy in WC, right? So the only character of my race gets whacked (and it's not even in the cockpit).
Nope. Bossman from WC1 was also Chinese. But he dies as well. :/ Doesn't really bother me that much, though (I'm Chinese too).

(Paladin voice) I think we've heard enough.

Chen was Taiwonese, by the way.

Oh, just nitpicking. Spirit doesn't commit suicide. She does a Flight 93, in case anyone hasn't played the game and took that litrially.

Blasted Hobbes... Wing Commander II built up his character so well. This was a fine example of what makes the Wing Commander storielines so good, you actualy feel a sense of anger and betrayal from this plot twist and you want to wring his hairy neck so badly.

I also think the whole personality overlay thing is rediculous, the defecting to save Kilrah makes so much more sense. I mean I'm sure there's a Mandarin out there who'd go back to the Confederation somehow if he found out there was a plot to destroy Earth.

Well I had no experience playing wing commander between the SNES Secret Missions and Wing Commander 4 however I had read the Forschen novels and I was totally shocked to find out Tolwyn was the traitor. The Tolwyn of End Run and Fleet Action will always be the one I remeber. Of course I was also suprised by Hunters death in Fleet Action as well. Of course since I never played Wing Commander II, I was shocked to find out that Jazz was the traitor Bondaresky mentions in End Run, because in Freedom Flight Jazz comes off as a hero.

Back