Most shocking WC moment

What was the most shocking WC event/twist?

• Spirit commiting suicide (WC2)

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Jazz is discovered to be a traitor (WC2)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Angel murdered (WC3)

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Hobbes was only a personality overlay (WC3)

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Ordered to shoot down Eisen & Maniac/defection dilemma (WC4)

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Tolwyn's the real leader of Black Lance (WC4)

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Blair abducted by the Nephilim (WCP)

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
Expendable said:
Me, I just wondered why Blair didn't just tractor in Thrakath's pod during the WC2 final mission at K'Tithrak Mang, removing the heir to the throne of Kilrah.
I don't remember ever seeing the ejection pod on the Radar after shooting down Thrakath, you can't pick up/shoot what you don;t know is there. For all we knew at the time, he went down with his ship.

Oh and I have to og with Vagabonds death, that suprised the hell out of me . . . he had a great death scene though.

C-ya

I never completely understood the whole Hobbes overlay thing. It seems like too big of a gamble for Thrakhath to allow him to turn his coat and surrender a cruiser along with valuable military secrets that would set the Kilrathi war effort back significantly--after all, if it weren't for Hobbes we wouldn't have known what the Kilrathi were really up to in Firekka and they'd probably have succeeded in their crusade. Think about how many Kilrathi Hobbes shot down, how many wings he commanded into successful battle. The trade-off between the damage he caused in the name of Confed and the end possibility of him betraying valuable information back to the Kilrathi is skewed, IMO.

Blair had it right in "Heart of the Tiger." It would be far easier for the Kilrathi to employ human traitors and embed overlays on their personality, since it'd be too difficult for a Kilrathi spy to gain acceptance.

Tolwyn's involvement with the Black Lance. It was overly apparent Seether was involved but to discover Tolwyn as the man behind it all was a shock. I had never even considered it.

I never read the official WC4 strategy guide. Does it list its cloaking specs or something? If so, then yeah, it wouldn't be too difficult to put two & two together with that info.

Dammerung said:
Blair being captured wasn't too big, but when he dies. That's big.
It wasn't that great for me. I knew it was Hamill's last planned WC, so I expected it. Especially after the capture/rescue.

Needaham45 said:
I always knew Tolwyn wasn't the nicest guy, but I had no idea how low he would go.
The funny thing was that he's actually quite chummy to Blair in Special Operations. So when he became a cold figure again in WC3, I was a bit disappointed. Of course, he was ridiculously friendly in WC4, so even if I didn't know it already, I should have expected Tolwyn to be up to something.

wankski said:
once a traitor always a traitor...
A lot of other pilots had that mentality too. But Blair already knows Hobbes from WC2, and Hobbes stuck up for him then, so I really liked Hobbes.

Expendable said:
Me, I just wondered why Blair didn't just tractor in Thrakath's pod during the WC2 final mission at K'Tithrak Mang, removing the heir to the throne of Kilrah.
Storyline's sake. Besides, he does in SO1. ;)

Goddard and the lose ending in Secret Missions was the biggest kick in the teeth I got from a game. Spirit, Angel, I thought it was...you wanted to try and do something to stop those things from happening. Anything about traitors didn't surprise or shock me. I didn't expect Hobbes to be a traitor, but it was something I took in my stride. Seeing the preview movie for The Price of Freedom pretty much ruined Tolwyn leading the Black Lance. I saw him screaming about how the strong will survive, saw the writing on the wall and thought "okay, he's the leader of some Nazi stormtroopers or something". And as for Blaire, I wouldn't have known what to expect in Prophocy, but I thought killing him off or at least showing that there are no sacred cows was a bold stroke, least anyone think that no one dies.

My scariest WC moment was when I opened the WC4 box and found two 4th CDs but not the first one in it. :(

Col.Dom said:
I never read the official WC4 strategy guide. Does it list its cloaking specs or something? If so, then yeah, it wouldn't be too difficult to put two & two together with that info.

Hehe, sadly, no -- the section in the guide for the fighters immediately followed the section showing the 'FMV' scenes as full color images... the book was arranged so that if you wanted to look up the specs for the Arrow, you'd see Tolwyn hanging himself on the other page (G)

HAHAHA! I love that. That's great. I never bought the game guide. I just kicked their teeth on my own. I remember being somewhat shocked to see Tolwyn hanging, though. Saddened, really. I kinda agreed with him. Except, destroying the entire race was, sure, a bad idea. At the end of the novelization he made an analogy that only the head of the spear had to be iron. The rest could be wood. A genetically enhanced elite fighting force? Sounds good to me!

Hey guys and gals, been away too long Hope you are all well I am waiting for degree results so I am a little stressed at the mo.

Most shocking moment?
Perhaps Hobbes being the traitor. The first time I played WCIII, I thought it would have been perhaps Rollins as he seemed to have such a downer on Confed, I thought he might be co-operating with the Kilrathi to save himself a la Mandarin, I stuck up for Hobbes when Cobra had a go at him. I listened reason and didn't go after him. Just didn't see it coming, although I suppose two mandarin traitors would have been a cliche with what happened in Wing II

Bandit LOAF said:
Hehe, sadly, no -- the section in the guide for the fighters immediately followed the section showing the 'FMV' scenes as full color images... the book was arranged so that if you wanted to look up the specs for the Arrow, you'd see Tolwyn hanging himself on the other page (G)

HAHAHA! Well... that's certainly... happy. HAHA!

Definitely Hobbes. Hobbes was somebody that Blair trusted, whereas finding out that Jazz and Tolwyn were traitors was not such a shock because Blair never really trusted them to begin with. Hobbes was representative of the redeeming qualities of the Kilrathi--he "humanized" the enemy, revealing them as people and not merely as conquerers. To find out that this carefully built image was false is in my opinion the biggest shock.

Hobbes´s identity overlay would be my personal shocking WC moment if they had included in the game the holovid with the explanation. Instead, Origin thought it was more interesting to use the limited CD space to include the stupid elevator going up and down... :( So I only got to know about the overlay YEARS later, here in the CIC.

Therefore my vote is for Angel´s murder. I didn´t care about going back to the Victory at first, I just afterburnered towards Thrahkath and slained (sp?) the bastard, though the game ended shortly after :p

BTW, it is possible to kill the Prince AND get back in time to the Victory. But if you do that the game won´t consider Thrahkath´s death and so he shows up again in the end.

Actually, if you do it perfect, you can 'burner after Thrak, unload a couple full salvos at max range, and turn back to the Victory. The missiles have a good change of nailing him, and he'll die, and, if you're quick enough, you can get back to the Vic in time to autopilot at maximum range.

Having hobbes betray the Confederation, wasn't all too shocking, he was a Kilrathi, nuf said. Besides, i recall someone in Wc2, and Wc3 warning Maverick to wach out. Shure Hobbes helped the cat's rebel against the empire at Ghorah Khar, but he was related to the emperor, even Prince Thrakath said so. I say Tolwin's leadership of the Black lance was shocking. There is a man that led the Enigma Fleet into victory in Wc2, and came up of the solution to end the war, by sevearly 'nuking' Kilarah, and suddenly peace was just not enought for him. Seeing him up on that podium in Wc4 shocked me.

I have to say Hobbes. When I played the game, I assumed that he betrays Confed so Kilrah isn't destroyed. I don't agree with the overlay idea. He shot dwon two many cats and sved to many pilots to be a traitor from the start.

BTW: I knew Jazz would be a traitor from the first time I played WC1 SM2, this was before I finished WC2 so when you talk to Jazz on the Claw, you say, "I hope we see each other again" and he replies "Oh I'm sure we will." and I knew he was the traitor.

Back